NCAA Quarterfinal Games for May 21-22 | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

NCAA Quarterfinal Games for May 21-22

Griffin Schutz had a couple of nice goals in the game yesterday. He finished with 23 goals and 7 assists on the season, but he did mostly play midfield, so those look like decent numbers.

The announcers were mentioning Schutz moving to attack next year. It will be interesting to see if that happens. Virginia does have the highly touted freshman Truitt Sunderland, who is a feeder, showing up.

From the UVA postgame (McConvey is the Vermont transfer). Lots could happen between now and the start of the year but it appears that moving Schutz down is the plan as of now. Maybe Sunderland makes them rethink that, or maybe they want him through the box. They also have Ryan Colsey (sad heart emoji) but he is a lefty.

There was a discussion on FanLax about how hard the Cavs might hit the portal. I said I didn't think they would since they have so many returners (I think they only replace Moore). Tiffany has only brought in a few transfers over the years but maybe losing to a team full of them changes his mind.

IMO McNaney is actually one of the weaker links on the team. Granted he's still very good (he definitely improved from last year, when he was occasionally a liability), but the defense is so good that he rarely sees difficult shots.

IMO McNaney is actually one of the weaker links on the team. Granted he's still very good (he definitely improved from last year, when he was occasionally a liability), but the defense is so good that he rarely sees difficult shots.

I WISH our goalie was 6th nationally at 57.5%. That's a heck of a weak link. McNaney is credited with 164 saves and 121 goals against. In as many minutes as any other goalie in the country.

1653334168542.png

I WISH our goalie was 6th nationally at 57.5%. That's a heck of a weak link. McNaney is credited with 164 saves and 121 goals against. In as many minutes as any other goalie in the country.

View attachment 217327
Save percentages reflect strength of team defense along with goalie performance. Let me think...Georgetown Jacksonville, Maryland, Notre Dame, Princeton all were strong defensively. St. Bonaventure, Wagner, Siena etc. are in very weak conferences so goalies aren't facing high quality shots.
Statistics in team sports have to be looked at in context. I can guarantee you that McElroy, McNaney, Entenmann etc. would have had significantly lower save percentages (at least 5% less or more IMO) if they played for Cuse.

Save percentages reflect strength of team defense along with goalie performance. Let me think...Georgetown Jacksonville, Maryland, Notre Dame, Princeton all were strong defensively. St. Bonaventure, Wagner, Siena etc. are in very weak conferences so goalies aren't facing high quality shots.
Statistics in team sports have to be looked at in context. I can guarantee you that McElroy, McNaney, Entenmann etc. would have had significantly lower save percentages (at least 5% less or more IMO) if they played for Cuse.
I happen to think that McNaney is a solid goalie - he was ranked #2 in his class behind Entenmann. I just get tired of people quoting stats for players who are on the #1 ranked team in the country as if the stats are comparing apples to apples.

View attachment 217327
McNaney is also a very active goalie, making a lot of plays outside the crease. He seems deceptively fast and quick. He often beats opponents to the back line after shots. He is really good at racing out of the goal and gobbling up ground ball - and sometimes these gbs are not that close to the goal. He is good at picking off passes. Earlier in the year he had a play where he took a couple steps out of the crease and checked the ball away from an unaware offensive player.
McNaney is outstanding in the clearing game. Many games he is essentially flawless clearing-wise.
With his Save Pct. steadily rising over the last 5-6 weeks, along with the rest of his game, I would tend to think he had been the top goalie in D1 over that period. Tillman has said that he wouldn't trade McNaney for anyone, and based on McNaney's play over the last 6 weeks or so, neither would I.

Rutgers lacrosse in the final four. At this point, has Rutgers football and lacrosse replaced SU? I would say even in basketball court, Rutgers has been in even field with Syracuse? Once Boeheim retires, Rutgers will replace Syracuse in basketball and become No. 1 destination in Northeast recruiting. Do I worry too much? They have B1G money and seem using it wisely to upgrade their sports across the spectrum.

From the UVA postgame (McConvey is the Vermont transfer). Lots could happen between now and the start of the year but it appears that moving Schutz down is the plan as of now. Maybe Sunderland makes them rethink that, or maybe they want him through the box. They also have Ryan Colsey (sad heart emoji) but he is a lefty.

There was a discussion on FanLax about how hard the Cavs might hit the portal. I said I didn't think they would since they have so many returners (I think they only replace Moore). Tiffany has only brought in a few transfers over the years but maybe losing to a team full of them changes his mind.

They do lose 26 assists (in 13 games) with the loss of Moore

Rutgers lacrosse in the final four. At this point, has Rutgers football and lacrosse replaced SU? I would say even in basketball court, Rutgers has been in even field with Syracuse? Once Boeheim retires, Rutgers will replace Syracuse in basketball and become No. 1 destination in Northeast recruiting. Do I worry too much? They have B1G money and seem using it wisely to upgrade their sports across the spectrum.
Uh, no.
Yeah, not gonna happen.
Yes.

Save percentage doesn't reflect the strength of team defense. It's part of it sure, but if Maryland had a sieve their team defense wouldn't look so great. His 164 saves are 31st in D1 but his 121 saves are still tops for percentage. Obviously, save percentage is not a great stat because it doesn't care if it's a goal from the doorstep or a 12 yard step down but unfortunately save percentage is one of the few stats afforded a goalie. He's seen his fair share of shots and made a lot of saves. I have context because I've watched him play numerous times, he's made great saves. He's a great keep. You definitely could not guarantee McNaney's save % would be lower at Syracuse no more or less than I think he would improve Syracuse's defense.

As was mentioned to his field game is fantastic.

It's kind of goofy to say a weak conference doesn't produce high quality shots.

Last edited:
Save percentage doesn't reflect the strength of team defense. It's part of it sure, but if Maryland had a sieve their team defense wouldn't look so great. His 164 saves are 31st in D1 but his 121 saves are still tops for percentage. Obviously, save percentage is not a great stat because it doesn't care if it's a goal from the doorstep or a 12 yard step down but unfortunately save percentage is one of the few stats afforded a goalie. He's seen his fair share of shots and made a lot of saves. I have context because I've watched him play numerous times, he's made great saves. He's a great keep. You definitely could not guarantee McNaney's save % would be lower at Syracuse no more or less than I think he would improve Syracuse's defense.

As was mentioned to his field game is fantastic.

It's kind of goofy to say a weak conference doesn't produce high quality shots.
I guess its goofy to say that the vast majority of the best shooters in D1 are in the ACC, Ivy, BIG10 etc.
Can you tell me how many top recruits /most talented players are in the MAAC?? Dobson had a 67% saves stat - are you telling me he would have had that in the Ivy or BIG10??
It's like saying the stats for a quarterback in a weak conference are the same as those of SEC quarterback.
And I did not say that McNaney isn't good. I too watched a number of his games this year and he was solid. But let's get serious...Cuse defense was terrible and therefore I can categorically guarantee that McNaney would have had a lower save percentage. The weaker the defense, the more high quality shots a goalie faces. Likewise, I can also categorically guarantee that both Gavin and Thompson would have had higher save percentages on a top 5 team - it's not hard given just how low their stats were :cool:

Should drop the guarantee bs because there are no absolutes . There are numerous good goalies today who LIKELY could have posted 50% for Cuse which would have resulted in nearly three less goals a game and a few more wins. Man down, transition and off ball defense was less than ideal but D was not terrible, on ball by backline was very good and usually decent up top .Putting it plainly. more shots should have been stopped and likely would have been stopped by the top half of goalies. We watched our depleted O bombard goalies at times , some who stood on their heads . Recognize helpless goals but also but also recognize slow reflexes and not seeing the ball at times , reason goalies were quickly pulled a few times Watching many other games, seen so many more shots right at doorstep than Cuse d ever allowed . So many of these high save games include several acrobatic saves as well as stops on high percentage shots. Its a hard position that requires both physical skills and mental toughness. Latter tends to affect former and tend to think that was case this past year with first year goalies. Was high on our goalie stock at season start and saw no need to import another but became apparent position was a clear weakness and that improvement at goalie position is needed whether it be organically or from outside. Sure staff is looking despite numbers

As far as Dobson , I too questioned his comp but after watching tape I now understand why he was the first goalie drafted by PLL. He certainly wouldn't have been at 67% in ACC but truly believe he would have been at 50% or better at Cuse as well as several others .

Should drop the guarantee bs because there are no absolutes . There are numerous good goalies today who LIKELY could have posted 50% for Cuse which would have resulted in nearly three less goals a game and a few more wins. Man down, transition and off ball defense was less than ideal but D was not terrible, on ball by backline was very good and usually decent up top .Putting it plainly. more shots should have been stopped and likely would have been stopped by the top half of goalies. We watched our depleted O bombard goalies at times , some who stood on their heads . Recognize helpless goals but also but also recognize slow reflexes and not seeing the ball at times , reason goalies were quickly pulled a few times Watching many other games, seen so many more shots right at doorstep than Cuse d ever allowed . So many of these high save games include several acrobatic saves as well as stops on high percentage shots. Its a hard position that requires both physical skills and mental toughness. Latter tends to affect former and tend to think that was case this past year with first year goalies. Was high on our goalie stock at season start and saw no need to import another but became apparent position was a clear weakness and that improvement at goalie position is needed whether it be organically or from outside. Sure staff is looking despite numbers

As far as Dobson , I too questioned his comp but after watching tape I now understand why he was the first goalie drafted by PLL. He certainly wouldn't have been at 67% in ACC but truly believe he would have been at 50% or better at Cuse as well as several others .
I agree with you on a number of your points. I think other top goalies would have had more saves and better percentages if they were playing for Cuse. Making the 50% threshhold for Cuse would have been a big difference, no question. I agree that Dobson is solid and would likely have been at 50% or better for Cuse. My point was that mid to high 50s is elite goaltending in the top conferences thus 67% really only makes sense in a very weak conference like the MAAC. If Dobson gets to start or gets playing time in the PLL this season, he will face the spotlight for the first time and we will have a better evaluation of his talent. As I'm sure you would agree, Dobson has not experienced the pressure of facing elite teams on national tv as have others like Adler, Rode, Kirst, Porter, Entenmann etc. It's pretty tough to face Brennan O'Neill, Gray, Pat Kavanagh, Wisnauskas, Shellenberger etc. on a regular basis and maintain your confidence let alone save percentage. That doesn't mean Dobson won't do well - just that he hasn't had that experience yet. I was surprised at Dobson being taken in the draft (and early) because I thought coaches would feel that he looks technically very good but "unproven" at an elite level under pressure.

How weak did he look today?

View attachment 217327
I've got some crow to eat. Granted, even initially I meant he was only a weak link relative to unparalleled dominance seemingly everywhere else in the lineup, but McNaney was by far the Terps' best player this weekend. If he was even average they would have lost both of those games.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom