NCAA Rules Committee discusses widening lane, moving back 3-point line | Syracusefan.com

NCAA Rules Committee discusses widening lane, moving back 3-point line

A mandatory minimum of 0.3 second be taken off the game clock when the ball is legally touched.

Not sure what this is aimed at. On an inbounds and the player is fouled?

Quarters and a longer 3 pt line got shelved this year but it's going eventually happen for college hoops.

I like the one in one bonus in college. Would be a little disappointed if it was eliminated. All for moving the 3 point line back.

Upon a quick scan I don't see a single rule that being considered that fixes anything that is broken or even remotely in disrepair. Maybe the committee should occasionally say, "we don't need any rule changes this year."

"Adjust the officiating guidance in relation to the cylinder rule. If a defensive player straddles an offensive player’s leg in a way that prohibits him from making a normal basketball move — which now includes pivoting — contact that creates a common foul will be called on the defensive player."

I'm thinking that if a defensive player straddles an offensive player's leg, that it should just be a simple assault and we should let local law enforcement handle it.

Why? I think it helps our zone.

I think a stretched zone leads to more open driving gaps and guys have become pretty good at making 25 footers even at the college level. We saw that this past year.

I think a stretched zone leads to more open driving gaps and guys have become pretty good at making 25 footers even at the college level. We saw that this past year.

I don't think it will stretch the zone anymore than we've seen in the last 5 years. Teams already stand a few feet behind the current line to get open looks, so the difference should be negligible. A longer 3 point line won't help offensive spacing much and should make teams more inefficient from deep. A lower 3pt FG% against the zone is a good thing.

Why does it stretch our zone? We can play the same zone we have always played. The only difference is what use to be a 3 will now be a long 2. I see it as a win and I'm sure JB is in favor of this change along with an even shorter shot clock.

Nobody takes long 2's anymore. Maybe the 3 point percentage declines a bit, but a wide open shot is still a wide open shot.

Forcing teams to shoot from farther away to get the same three points is a good thing for our 2-3 zone which is legendary for getting carved up by the 3.

if they move the line back .. they should move it back to the NBA distance

Freaking division 1 college athletes in all other major sports don't have such a vastly different aspect to their games then their pro counterparts

Nobody takes long 2's anymore. Maybe the 3 point percentage declines a bit, but a wide open shot is still a wide open shot.

TT took plenty of long twos

if they move the line back .. they should move it back to the NBA distance

Freaking division 1 college athletes in all other major sports don't have such a vastly different aspect to their games then their pro counterparts
The whole point of the 3-pointer's introduction was to open up the lane by making the defenses spread out to cover 3-point shot attempts because the distance was "not that far". Whether they've succeeded in accomplishing lane freedom is open to interpretation. I could tolerate moving it to the distance specified in the FIBA international rules. The NBA has its line where it is because they are professionals at the top of their craft.

I am a hater. If you want to watch NBA stuff, watch the NBA and leave college bball alone.

The whole point of the 3-pointer's introduction was to open up the lane by making the defenses spread out to cover 3-point shot attempts because the distance was "not that far". Whether they've succeeded in accomplishing lane freedom is open to interpretation. I could tolerate moving it to the distance specified in the FIBA international rules. The NBA has its line where it is because they are professionals at the top of their craft.

I am a hater. If you want to watch NBA stuff, watch the NBA and leave college bball alone.

I don't know man. I watch the NBA playoffs and its makes me realize that college ball still has rules in place to allow it to be a rock fight. The game is about player movement, ball movement and putting it in the hoop. The NBA allowed too much contact, grabbing, clutching and impeding. They fixed it and its resulted in a much more entertaining product IMO.

Last edited:
I don't know man. I watch the NBA playoffs and its makes me realize that college ball still has rules in place to allow it to be a rock fight. The game is about player movement, ball movement and putting it in the hoop. The NBA allowed too much contact, grabbing, clutching and impeding. They fixed it and its resulted in a much more entertaining product IMO.
Maybe I should clarify what I said a bit. I don't want college to adopt an NBA rule "just because it's an NBA rule"; far, far too many people want that. I enjoy the fiction we have now. I don't want an open acknowledgement that college is the NBA farm system and simply use the same rules the NBA has. I have not tuned in for a single second of an NBA game this season and will not for the foreseeable future. I guess I'm spoiled by lacrosse because I'd like to see football and basketball operate somewhere along the spectrum between the Ivy model and what we have now. However, I know that would require the two leagues to form minor league systems a la' baseball, something they are loathe to do.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom