NCAA Seed: 4 or 3 | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

NCAA Seed: 4 or 3

I was thinking of this as I showered to clean myself from the filth I just witnessed.

Some of the oddest seeds in past years were for B10 finalists. And reason is simple -- committee uses placeholders as it frantically gets into / completes bracket during B10 final. It may not have much time for contingencies.

1 seeds may still be unknown tonite.. Miami is still playing, Florida is playing... committee as likely only completed its mind on bubble, and worked on rankins of teams not in pod. But bracket is always done on final day, and pod teams are probably ranked early afternoon.

So lets say the final 3 spot, comes down to Wolverines, Kansas St, Syracuse and Wisconsin. It can lock Buckeyes into 2 seed win or lose. And it could put a placeholder in 3 /4 for Wisconsin and Wolverines, depending on if Wisconsin wins... so it can easily complete the bracket during B10 final.

If you have ever done a bracket, you know its a pain in the ass to move teams around at the end -- you always run into a conference issue.

So even if we are ranked ahead of Wolverines, they could receive a 3 due to this factor.

it could also work out that even if wisconsin wins the big10 they dont get seed bump to 3 since there final finishes too late to wait for result since they usually bracketing by 430

it could also work out that even if wisconsin wins the big10 they dont get seed bump to 3 since there final finishes too late to wait for result since they usually bracketing by 430

I can't see a scenario in the world where that would happen. Wisconsin would have 6 top 25 wins. We have 2.

Could be a three seed but we might be better off as a four out west

If Ohio St. wins tomorrow we are a lock for 3. Wiscy wins it's close but not because of them, they would be a lock for a three. Then we would be in dogfight with other teams for the spot.

If Ohio St. wins tomorrow we are a lock for 3. Wiscy wins it's close but not because of them, they would be a lock for a three. Then we would be in dogfight with other teams for the spot.

We are unquestionably behind (regardless of tomorrow)

Louisville
Indiana
Kansas
Gonzaga
Georgetown
Duke
Miami
New Mexico
Ohio State
Michigan State
Florida

That leaves one spot for

Wisconsin
Saint Louis
Syracuse
Michigan

Poppy we are not unquestionably behind Mich. St. and Wisky is out if they lose. I love our chances verse Mich and St L. Hence the dogfight with Mich St if Wisky wins.

Poppy we are not unquestionably behind Mich. St. and Wisky is out if they lose. I love our chances verse Mich and St L. Hence the dogfight with Mich St if Wisky wins.

Agree about Wisconsin. They must win to have any shot at all at a 3. Re: MSU, on the matrix they are 8th, we're 14th.

Wisconsin / UMic receive 3/4 seed due to time of B10 final (based on if Wisconsin wins). Committee does not ave time to make adjustments after B10 final.

Its almost impossible to use placeolders for teams in different conferences due to bracket conference rules . So it cant be Wisconsin / Syracuse for example... it must be Wisconsin / UMic.

Or it can decide Wisconsin is a 4 no matter what before final.

Committee needs to select one of two.

We are unquestionably behind (regardless of tomorrow)

Louisville
Indiana
Kansas
Gonzaga
Georgetown
Duke
Miami
New Mexico
Ohio State
Michigan State
Florida

That leaves one spot for

Wisconsin
Saint Louis
Syracuse
Michigan
Good posts Poppy, but the only quibble I have is if we are fighting with only 3 others for the final 3 seed, how can you say our chance at getting the 3 is 0%? Cuz, mathematically we aren't really zero, right?

Good posts Poppy, but the only quibble I have is if we are fighting with only 3 others for the final 3 seed, how can you say our chance at getting the 3 is 0%? Cuz, mathematically we aren't really zero, right?

yeah, there's a chance after all. slim, but it does exist.especially with bracketing rules. For example, if OSU and MSU are 2s or 3s, it might be hard to place Mich/Wis as a 2/3 without creating a conference matchup in the S16.

I'd also throw K State into the mix if the committee decides to reward regular-season champs.

Lunardi now has us as a 4 seed in the East, with IU as the 1 seed.

yeah, there's a chance after all. slim, but it does exist.especially with bracketing rules. For example, if OSU and MSU are 2s or 3s, it might be hard to place Mich/Wis as a 2/3 without creating a conference matchup in the S16.

I'd also throw K State into the mix if the committee decides to reward regular-season champs.

Or they can just ignore the conference "rules" like they did when we played Marquette in the Round of 32.

Or they can just ignore the conference "rules" like they did when we played Marquette in the Round of 32.

Rules were not ignored. Its allowed if 9 teams or more are in from a conference. Still screwed.

Wisconsin / UMic receive 3/4 seed due to time of B10 final (based on if Wisconsin wins). Committee does not ave time to make adjustments after B10 final.

Its almost impossible to use placeolders for teams in different conferences due to bracket conference rules . So it cant be Wisconsin / Syracuse for example... it must be Wisconsin / UMic.

Or it can decide Wisconsin is a 4 no matter what before final.

Committee needs to select one of two.

I think UM will be ahead of Wiscy regardless of today's outcome. Much better OOC resume. Wiscy has an rpi in the low 30s. Interesting test of the value of winning the postseason tourney.

i dont think wisconisn will be ahead of us unless they beat ohio state,michigan could be because spots 7-14 are extremely close on my s curve
You have your own S-curve? How do I get one of those?

Rules were not ignored. Its allowed if 9 teams or more are in from a conference. Still screwed.

I always thought conference opponents even with 9 from a conference weren't supposed to meet until the Sweet16, if not a stand corrected.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cardiac

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom