NCAA threatens to boot the whole state of California if bill becomes law | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

NCAA threatens to boot the whole state of California if bill becomes law

California schools aren't paying more than SEC schools even with this legislation. This was a football move. California hasn't been a factor nationally for about a decade.

it would make for fascinating conference realignment talk

Pac8 remnants merge with most of the big 12, WVU to the SEC, Georgetown, St. Johns and Nova to the ACC.

I mean the schools can never pay players directly it would have to be the tv/conferences doing it. First off from the players perspective these non profits would immediately become masters at making it look like they weren’t making any profit even if with 100k people in the stands. Give players the TV money and let the schools keep the ticket revenue. Defer most of it until graduation they can wait a few years and just leave school with a big check to use on a house etc.

Honestly it’s probably time for football and basketball to no longer subsidize sports like field hockey. Title 9 will have to go bye bye. Non revenue sports can just be club teams for all I care it’s no less relevant than it is now they can use the varsity facilities and play teams that are bus rides away etc etc.

California schools aren't paying more than SEC schools even with this legislation. This was a football move. California hasn't been a factor nationally for about a decade.

Coaching is the reason though Stanford UCLA and USC get their 4 and 5 stars still. P 12 hasn’t been relevant since the BCS even if UW and UO both snuck in once there’s always gonna be 4 spots every year for 5 conferences so that doesn’t matter. But the best athletes are still playing out there not traveling to SEC country.

Just waiting for the state to float off into the Atlantic...cant happen soon enough!
I believe it’s supposed to sink in the pacific first.

The real problem for California would be the schools in the remaining 49 states. 49 states v. California. Unless California can convince a few other key states to do likewise, they will have less bargaining power. Non-California teams can refuse to play California schools based on the perceived or real advantage. The four key California schools (let's be honest, the other 54 really do not matter) do well enough without the law. Besides, the remaining PAC12 schools may not like the California schools having an advantage.

Not sure what will happen, but it will be amusing to watch.

My guess is the SEC states will follow quickly. Especially Louisiana, Alabama and Mississippi.

I mean the schools can never pay players directly it would have to be the tv/conferences doing it. First off from the players perspective these non profits would immediately become masters at making it look like they weren’t making any profit even if with 100k people in the stands. Give players the TV money and let the schools keep the ticket revenue. Defer most of it until graduation they can wait a few years and just leave school with a big check to use on a house etc.

Honestly it’s probably time for football and basketball to no longer subsidize sports like field hockey. Title 9 will have to go bye bye. Non revenue sports can just be club teams for all I care it’s no less relevant than it is now they can use the varsity facilities and play teams that are bus rides away etc etc.

Title IX can’t just be ignored. It’s a law. Perhaps if the gop controls Congress and the White House, but there’s no way the Democrats would ever support repealing.

The California law doesn’t require the schools to pay. It simply affirms the right to profit off of your work for your celebrity.

Title IX can’t just be ignored. It’s a law. Perhaps if the gop controls Congress and the White House, but there’s no way the Democrats would ever support repealing.

The California law doesn’t require the schools to pay. It simply affirms the right to profit off of your work for your celebrity.

So I guess you'll get womens hoops. Which is fine. I think football is exempt but there will be some sport to offset that.

I think D1 hoops and football would both be better products if the players walked away with a 6 figure check upon graduation (and didn't get it until completing their degree.) Moneys gotta go somewhere why subsidize sports noone cares about vs giving it to the guys on the field.

Just waiting for the state to float off into the Atlantic (Pacific) any body of water far away...cant happen soon enough!
california-map-lex-luthor-2013-dave-delisle-small2.png

So I guess you'll get womens hoops. Which is fine. I think football is exempt but there will be some sport to offset that.

I think D1 hoops and football would both be better products if the players walked away with a 6 figure check upon graduation (and didn't get it until completing their degree.) Moneys gotta go somewhere why subsidize sports noone cares about vs giving it to the guys on the field.

Title IX is a law that requires an equal amount of athletic scholarships for men and women. The 85 scholarships for football will never not count without the law being repealed or amended.

And there would be no money out of the athletic budget to pay players under the California bill. Players would be paid for their name and likeness, like everyone else in the world.

Just go pro...please. I cheer for name on the front of the jersey.
Well there's actually rules that don't allow them to go pro in the most profitable leagues right out of high school so maybe we should find some middle ground here. This is the only group of people anyone can think of off of the top of their head who can't make money off their own name and likeness so I'm inclined to think the kids we root for every season should be able to benefit off of that. But that's just my opinion

Well there's actually rules that don't allow them to go pro in the most profitable leagues right out of high school so maybe we should find some middle ground here. This is the only group of people anyone can think of off of the top of their head who can't make money off their own name and likeness so I'm inclined to think the kids we root for every season should be able to benefit off of that. But that's just my opinion
Easy to change those rules. If kids want money, play for pay in the pros. It’s not for college to line their pockets.

Easy to change those rules. If kids want money, play for pay in the pros. It’s not for college to line their pockets.
The NCAA will likely challenge this in court and (as much as I dislike the institution's ridiculous enforcement policies) is probably pretty sanguine about its chances. Aside from the constitutional issues (interstate commerce), federal appellate courts have repeatedly upheld the NCAA's amateurism model.

Either way, it is a very interesting legal issue - not unlike California's fleet vehicle (mileage) requirements - that are more stringent than the (recently reduced) federal standards.

So the colleges can line their own pockets selling jerseys with a kid's number on it? Stores like Shirt World or Manny's can sell "Carmelo" tshirts and make money off the kids. Everyone can make money off the kids except the kids.

So the colleges can line their own pockets selling jerseys with a kid's number on it? Stores like Shirt World or Manny's can sell "Carmelo" tshirts and make money off the kids. Everyone can make money off the kids except the kids.
We all know the equation is not as simple as your argument. While I have no issue with kids getting a cut from sales of merchandise with their name or likeness, schools do pay the kids with a free education, assuming the kids actually go to class (UNC is obviously excepted as are SEC schools).

Whether anyone likes to admit this or not, the average cost to attend is about the cost of the average private school. State schools are subsidized by taxpayers, the costs are hidden to lower tuition rates at state schools. Thus, each athlete is already being paid about $60-65k, tax free, plus enhanced dining privileges and a lot of sportswear.

So long as every athlete is treated the same, the federal courts are not likely to change the system. Title IX is the elephant in the room and it sits where it likes. Schools and the NCAA will argue that most schools do not turn a profit and the loss of revenue costs the school that much more making it harder to finance all the athletics teams (meaning sports will get cut and less free rides,sholarships will be awarded).

There is no easy answer.

My guess is the SEC states will follow quickly. Especially Louisiana, Alabama and Mississippi.
All three with no/low academics and lots of talent.

From a more serious side, I don't see Texas, NY or Florida diving into the mix. NY refuses to finance sports teams (I applaud the ideal, not so much the reality). Texas has too many D1 schools, same with Florida.

This is gonna require lots of popcorn. We may all need to invest in Orville Redenbacher stock!

One of these days, California will recognize the "Law of Unintended Consequences." To give to one, you must take from another.

For some strange reason, people think the solution to the problem is to throw money at it. I’d be happy if college sports generated less money. Build the minor league pros. Let kids go right to the pros to earn money. The right to work and earn money for your worth is fundamental. I just don’t want it at the college (or high school, or AAU) level. It’s a complicated problem with a simple solution, in my mind. Professional leagues pay money. Colleges don’t.