NCAA threatens to boot the whole state of California if bill becomes law | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

NCAA threatens to boot the whole state of California if bill becomes law

Treating the players equally is very simple.

All athletes can have the right to profit from their name and likeness.

Boom. Done. Equal.

1568395624663.png

Boom. Done. Equal.
Equal in name. No one that isn’t a top ten spending school will be able to get a big name player. Georgia booster #907 will pay 100k to a player for his “likeness” if he plays for Georgia. How can georgia state gonna compete with someone like that

And who loses if the players are paid above the table? The coaches? If they are really too dumb to be able to not operate within a defined budget than they probably shouldn't be getting paid more than $20/hour.

This is exactly the question that gets to why schools wouldn't want to agree to the "profit off of image and likeness" model. Schools know that if their sponsors/boosters can start paying players for local advertising, appearances, etc. that means less money being donated or spent on advertising directly to the athletic department/school. Right now they get 100% of the spend. This model puts more hands in the cookie jar.

Equal in name. No one that isn’t a top ten spending school will be able to get a big name player. Georgia booster #907 will pay 100k to a player for his “likeness” if he plays for Georgia. How can georgia state gonna compete with someone like that

Or maybe Podunk State has a sugar daddy that struck it really rich and now they finally can compete because they can offer a few lower top 100 kids $50,000 to appear in a commercial for his Greater Houston Kia dealership.

Is there anyone here that is under 40 or 50 that opposes this? I can't tell if this is just a get off my lawn type generational issue or what because I have absolutely no issue with this and don't even see how you could be against it. Is it really preferable that Nick Saban and Jimbo Fisher are now making $9m a year and their coordinators are up around $2m to coach kids in a sport? That is disgusting, but guess what, they can afford to do it with cheap labor. Give him $7m a year instead and each scholarship kid could get an extra $25k per year. Pretty sure that seems reasonable for all parties.

Now kids like GMac could do a car commercial while in school instead of having to wait until his Senior season finished. Kids can go do autograph signings at the mall in January instead of waiting until April like they do now. Got 10 year old YouTube kids out making money off their likeness but god forbid you want to do that while being a "student-athlete". That would just be so gosh darn upsetting, I don't know how anyone could possibly enjoy watching kids play sports anymore.
FTR I am 20 and I wouldn’t support a likeness allowance, I would support players getting an massive increase in their stipend. Buddy makes 1300 a month on his stipend. Give him and others 2000-2200 a month. That’s fair pay

this system was created to try and level the playing field.. if they dont want to follow the rules then leave the system.

The biggest problem with it for me is that I think it would lead to the "rich getting richer". We already struggle to recruit in some ways, it won't be easier if students have access to financial incentives that might not be possible (to the same degree) at/in Syracuse. The big schools, with big donors, and big business tie-ins will be able to provide the highest rated recruits with those financial opportunities (I realize some people like building teams with 2 stars because some 4 and 5 star players don't pan out...)
The rich getting richer angle is when you view things from the perspective of the institution and their athletic program being the rich.

From the player perspective though, it's the poor getting richer

Georgia State doesn’t compete with Georgia already.

If booster #907 wants to pay Paul Harris a 100k to go to his college and Paul Harris isn’t a super duper star then that player has made 100k dollars they wouldn’t have been able to make before.

If boosters want spend stupid money nobody should care. These players aren’t coming here anyway. This stuff isn’t why players shouldn’t be able to profit of their likeness.

Georgia State doesn’t compete with Georgia already.

If booster #907 wants to pay Paul Harris a 100k to go to his college and Paul Harris isn’t a super duper star then that player 100k dollars they wouldn’t have been able to make before.

If boosters want spend stupid money nobody should care. These players aren’t coming here anyway. This stuff isn’t why players shouldn’t be able to profit of their likeness.
What is wrong with a 2000-2500 a month stipend? I agree coaches make way to much for what they are worth but this isn’t the solution

FTR I am 20 and I wouldn’t support a likeness allowance, I would support players getting an massive increase in their stipend. Buddy makes 1300 a month on his stipend. Give him and others 2000-2200 a month. That’s fair pay
again the stipend is across the board. you just added millions to every teams budget.

again the stipend is across the board. you just added millions to every teams budget.
I’m fine with cutting coaches salaries as I said above to pay for it

What is wrong with a 2000-2500 a month stipend? I agree coaches make way to much for what they are worth but this isn’t the solution
This is making players de facto employees.
Schools will never do stipends like that as starts the ball rolling for more and more and then unions.
Plus then all sports have to get paid the same stipend and sports will get cut as a result.

Giving players the ability to make money off their own likeness is the fair compromise. This CA Bill is exactly that.

I know it blows people's minds when I say this but... that's not a problem.

Schools will never do stipends like that as starts the ball rolling for more and more and then unions.
Plus then all sports have to get paid the same stipend and sports will get cut as a result.
Yeah, not exaggerating, I feel like it could destroy higher education in the US.

Players already get stipends though do they not? If basketball pays 12k a month on stipends what is 100k more a year?

Yeah, not exaggerating, I feel like it could destroy higher education in the US.
Of course we could always just jettison the current model and force the NFL to make a minor league and allow college football and other sports to be for people going to school

Players already get stipends though do they not? If basketball pays 12k a month on stipends what is 100k more a year?
Cost of living isn’t stipend.
Cost of living to help these kids pay for stuff like books/housing/food.
A stipend would start the ball rolling towards paying the players like employees. Which some people may like.

The NCAA had to be embarrassed to even pass this.

Letting players make money off their likeness/endorsements is all this bill is protecting.

Cost of living isn’t stipend.
Cost of living to help these kids pay for stuff like books/housing/food.

The NCAA had to be embarrassed to even pass this.

Letting players make money off their likeness/endorsements is all this bill is protecting.
Does the scholarship not cover housing/food/ books?

this system was created to try and level the playing field.. if they dont want to follow the rules then leave the system.

Is Georgia State competing for Georgia now for big name players?

There already is very little parity and the sport still seems to do fine. The same schools sign the best recruiting classes year after year already. Kids will still make decisions based on location, playing time, relationships, winning, etc. and not just commit to the highest bidder.

And there is definitely a cap to how much money will actually be spent. I don't know how realistic it is to think that there will be many people running to get in line to write 6 figure checks year after year to unproven 17 year olds to play for their favorite football team for 3-4 years.

It won't really change the dynamic all that much except maybe you see some different jerseys on the TV during the CFP and the players will actually be able to be treated like the rest of the country in being able to get paid if someone wants to pay them.

Boom. Done. Equal.
I agree with this principle. However, the smaller schools have been making money of the likenesses for a long time and since they run in the red, as do most big schools, they are likely not to be Ina hurry to lose revenue.

I agree with this principle. However, the smaller schools have been making money of the likenesses for a long time and since they run in the red, as do most big schools, they are likely not to be Ina hurry to lose revenue.
Ja Morant helped Murray State make money.
They sold tons of merchandise.
Got tons of publicity and interest/applications for the school by his performances.

Why does the NCAA/Murray State care if Nike wanted to pay Morant while he is in college?
The school aren’t paying this money it’s private business.
Why should Nike be able to pay Murray State but not a player?
How do smaller schools lose here?
Morant could do a March madness commercial and everyone wins.

Ja Morant helped Murray State make money.
They sold tons of merchandise.
Got tons of publicity and interest/applications for the school by his performances.

Why does the NCAA/Murray State care if Nike wanted to pay Morant while he is in college?
The school aren’t paying this money it’s private business.
Why should Nike be able to pay Murray State but not a player?
How do smaller schools lose here?
Morant could do a March madness commercial and everyone wins.
So no one should get outraged that players are getting paid to go to Duke/UNC then

So no one should get outraged that players are getting paid to go to Duke/UNC then
I personally don’t get outraged as we all believe for the most part Kentucky and Duke are dropping bags of cash.

Players wouldn’t be going there every single year if something fishy wasn’t happening.

and this isnt just a single sport thing.. if some rich dude wants some D1 baseball team to be great he can just buy it now.

and as for using your likeness.. Even pros cant just go advertise their likeness anyway they want.