NCAA threatens to boot the whole state of California if bill becomes law | Page 31 | Syracusefan.com

NCAA threatens to boot the whole state of California if bill becomes law

I can't speak to what will happen at private schools, but most every state has a law which requires that athletics be funded from a totally separate pot of money that doesn't include any tax money or money from donations made to the academic side of the house.

The money has to come from somewhere.

The money has to come from somewhere.
All money used for the athletic department has to come from conference revenues, ticket sales, donors, etc., who designate their money for athletics. It just can't come from tax money or money that someone designated for the library (just to pick a place).

All money used for the athletic department has to come from conference revenues, ticket sales, donors, etc., who designate their money for athletics. It just can't come from tax money or money that someone designated for the library (just to pick a place).

So where does that money currently go?

I’ve seen firsthand in engineering some that have been accepted to schools because of non-academic reasons, and watched them struggle and flunk out because they just either 1) didn’t have the basis necessary, or 2) don’t have the aptitude to do the work.

And trust me, there are plenty of courses in engineering that my brain just doesn’t function at a level where I can understand the math behind it. It’s just the nature of the discipline.

It’s not fair to the students. It’s not fair to the kids that were robbed of a seat in the class as a result.

It’s not arrogance, it’s real.

Colleges in general have watered down the value of degrees. I work with a guy who I would say is the best engineer and most intelligent person I've ever worked with. He and I have been recruiting at northeastern colleges the last two months; at his alma mater I noticed that literally nobody had a GPA below 3.5, and most were 3.9ish. I asked him what his was 25 years ago, and it was a 3.3. It's extremely doubtful that students today are that much better - colleges have massively inflated grades. With the graduation rates at some schools now, it looks like it's impossible to flunk out - the only way to get booted is if you stop paying the college your semi-annual tribute.

What happened at UNC is an embarrassment- but it's really just the logical end of the function colleges now serve. They don't exist to educate (although they focus a ton of effort on maintaining that myth) - they exist to hand out papers required for employment for many jobs in America. The entire system is broken; tragically I doubt most people will realize how broken until bridges and buildings start falling down. By that point it will probably be too late to fix.

Colleges in general have watered down the value of degrees. I work with a guy who I would say is the best engineer and most intelligent person I've ever worked with. He and I have been recruiting at northeastern colleges the last two months; at his alma mater I noticed that literally nobody had a GPA below 3.5, and most were 3.9ish. I asked him what his was 25 years ago, and it was a 3.3. It's extremely doubtful that students today are that much better - colleges have massively inflated grades. With the graduation rates at some schools now, it looks like it's impossible to flunk out - the only way to get booted is if you stop paying the college your semi-annual tribute.

What happened at UNC is an embarrassment- but it's really just the logical end of the function colleges now serve. They don't exist to educate (although they focus a ton of effort on maintaining that myth) - they exist to hand out papers required for employment for many jobs in America. The entire system is broken; tragically I doubt most people will realize how broken until bridges and buildings start falling down. By that point it will probably be too late to fix.
Same thing happening at a lot of high schools too. The everybody gets a trophy mindset is not limited to the athletic arena.

So where does that money currently go?
Most of the donated athletic money goes toward the grants-in-aid. Each semester, the UVa Bursar sends a bill to the Virginia Athletics Foundation (our boosters) for the tuition, fees, and books for the athletes getting grants-in-aid, as well as the room & board for athletes living in the dorms and not eating at the training tables. That's a couple of million when you start adding things up. Donated money also goes towards making the locker rooms nice, etc. Money from the conference (TV revenues, NCAA participation money, etc.) goes toward running the athletic department, like for salaries and paying the expenses of teams when they travel. Yes, there are games played by the state schools to fund literally or figuratively athletics. The biggest benefit is charging some athletes the in-state tuition rate when they're really out-of-state students. That is usually done for athletes getting partial scholarships.

Some athletic department facilities can get state funding by calling them "Phys Ed" facilities, and using them for Phys Ed classes. Roughly 3/4 of the cost of VMI's Indoor Practice Facility was paid for by Virginia because it's called the "Corps Physical Training Facility". At least one of UVa's swimming pools got some government funding that way.

Last edited:
why dont they just turn the pay endorsement thing on and just let all that money go in a pot and split it 10000 ways.. then players make money and no one gets an unfair advantage.

Bill seeks to pay college athletes in Georgia

Georgia joins the club of states proposing l that would allow college athletes to be paid without losing eligibility.

---

“Not only is this an idea whose time has come, but Georgia schools would be at a decisive disadvantage when it comes to recruiting with other states that join California in implementing this act if we fail to do the same,” said state Rep. Billy Mitchell, a Democrat from Stone Mountain who is sponsoring the legislation.The bill would also allow players to hire agents to represent them and prohibit schools from removing athletes’ eligibility because they earn money.The legislation could be considered in the 2020 session of the General Assembly, which begins in January.

why dont they just turn the pay endorsement thing on and just let all that money go in a pot and split it 10000 ways.. then players make money and no one gets an unfair advantage.
That would require a players union (to vote where the $$ goes) National Labor Board dismissed Northwesterns attempt in 2015. (In part, citing only 1 team).

Should that come to be? In a "right to work" state, a player could forgo the Union and keep the entire amount. 27 states would have an advantage for high profile positions.

While some solutions sound simple? They are often, not.