NCAA Tourney Selection Criteria - last 10 | Syracusefan.com

NCAA Tourney Selection Criteria - last 10

Nicknack

All Conference
I think looking at how a team finishes the year makes a lot of sense. I wish they didn't stop using this criteria. I didn't like it when it worked against us, but I always thought it was a very reasonable thing to do.
They look at injuries, so why not give consideration to a team like ours who started the year with very young guys who didn't know how to play together and then over the course of the year, learned to play better. Where we are now compared to where we were when we lost all of our out of conference games is much different. Let's be honest, had we won just a couple of those out of conference games, we would right now be squarely on the bubble without the need to win the next 5 games in a row.

Thinking about this more, I believe looking at how a team did the second half of a season makes more sense than just the last 10. If the record is substantially better, then I think it's reasonable to consider that. In our case, let's just assume for argument sake that we win our next three and then win one in the ACC tourney. That would put us at 9 wins and 6 losses over the last 15 games. I'm not sure in this case that would even really help us, but I still think it makes sense to look at.

Last edited:
I understand your point, and I think many if not most agree with you. I just don't agree then that they should look at injuries or if a coach was not on the sidelines for several games. If you're going to consider that a team was without their star for several games that they lost, then why not consider that a young team got off to a very slow start and now is playing like a tournament team (or maybe bubble team).

It’s fine to look at injuries, but I think it’s better at how a team responds to those injuries. Injuries are part of the game so maybe they are already built into the equation and don’t need further analysis.

First 10, last 10 doesn't really matter to us this year. We are what we are and sadly haven't beaten anyone good other than UVA.

the argument is do we want the best teams over the course of the year or teams playing the best and have a chance to win down the stretch.. it really needs to be a blend.. winning the first 2-3 weeks should be valued less than winning late..

And generally its very rare that they give much benefit to injuries.
They say they could consider -- but that doesn't mean they actually adjust that often for it,

I think it's good they got rid of it. I never understood making games less important in November to January. It was literally the only sport that did that when it came to crafting their postseason and unbalanced schedules play a part.

Yes plus it punishes backloaded schedules. Whether you play Pitt 11th or 10th to last is going to determine if you get in(?), come on.

I think they should use the last 10 games as criteria, but really only as a tiebreaker.

If two bubble teams have very comparable resumes let’s say Team A has a 7-3 record down the stretch. Meanwhile, Team B has a 3-7 record down the stretch against similar competition. In an instance like that, they should take Team A.

But if Team B has a better resume, they shouldn’t look at last 10.

I think it's good they got rid of it. I never understood making games less important in November to January. It was literally the only sport that did that when it came to crafting their postseason and unbalanced schedules play a part.
I disagree. To determine who the better team is, I would like to who they are right now. Not who they were back in Nov.. The unbalanced schedule is a great counter point but I still like looking at how a team is playing going right in to the tournament.

less look at the resume and more look at the teams.

team a plays team b and team b shoots 10% and loses by 1
team c plays team b and team b shoots 50% from 3 and team C shoots 60% and loses
which team is better?

last night we played really well and yet pitt was still in the game just because we missed wide open 3s, FTs and layups. stuff happens beyond the scope of how well teams play.

you can play well and a team makes banks from 30 ft and you lose, you can play poorly and a team misses layups and dunks and 20 FTs and you win.. Resume of wins and losses matters, but some effort into how the games are played should also factor in.

I think they should use the last 10 games as criteria, but really only as a tiebreaker.

If two bubble teams have very comparable resumes let’s say Team A has a 7-3 record down the stretch. Meanwhile, Team B has a 3-7 record down the stretch against similar competition. In an instance like that, they should take Team A.
Good luck with that.

SU for example had a backloaded schedule this season, that kind of sorta worked out for them with Miami and UNC being down and Pitt being a dumpster fire. If it was a typical season and say a bubbl-ish Syracuse team, or even a decent Syracuse team fighting for a good seed, and they had to face Duke, @Louisville, @FSU. UNC, and Pitt/Miami on the road in their last 10, people would be complaining about how the ACC is trying to screw SU with the scheduling.

Last edited:
Good luck with that.

SU for example had a backloaded schedule this season, that kind of sorta worked out for them with Miami and UNC being down and Pitt being a dumpster fire. If was a typical season and say a bubbl-ish Syracuse team, or even a decent Syracuse team fighting for a good seed, and they had face Duke, @Louisville, @FSU. UNC, and Pitt/Miami on the road in their last 10, people would be complaining about how the ACC is trying to screw SU with the scheduling.

Yeah it doesn’t work cause you don’t play every conference team twice and the more data the committee has the more they screw up.

last 10 criteria allows for young team to gel over the season . for a note of neutrality on our resume

gl6jefzcrde2.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SyraFreed

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom