NCAA wants to change rules for graduate transfers | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

NCAA wants to change rules for graduate transfers

N.C.A.A. Clock May Be Running Out on Graduate Transfers

So the NCAA has to continue trying to restrict players rights.
The new rule proposed would mean if you took a graduate transfer they would use up a scholarship for 2 years even if they only play 1 year.
As it takes 2 years to get a graduate degree.
God I hate the NCAA.

“That’s really draconian,” Rodney Fort, a sports economist and professor of sports management at the University of Michigan, said of the rule change. “This is like losing a scholarship from an N.C.A.A. penalty.”

Except that require the cooperation of the academics and they despise the athletic department, usually. And it cheapens the degree.
and it's not going to address the issue of faux grad students who show up on campus in september sometimes weeks after classes start & bail in march or april as soon as the hoops season is over, which is basically fraud

Aren't all other scholarships offered on a 1 year basis, that is they are renewed yearly? So why should it be different for grad students. Now if all scholarships are 2 years, it would actually reduce the 1 n done or having the Dukes and Kentucky's taking more than 1 of the top kids a year. ie, if 3 Dukey freshman leave they have 3 less schollies for next year.

One word response: Ridiculous.

Agreed. I don't "love" the fifth year transfer rule. I think it started out as a great idea, but then quickly got exploited into a form of free agency [the road to hell is paved with good intentions].

But to try to stem that tide by imposing an asinine, artificial, arbitrary penalty for the school makes zero sense. But it would be classic NCAA.

So as you tug the chain, you are taking away a scholarship from another student athlete.

Why not make the university commit to 2 years of scholarship for the grad transfer, but still have it count one against the team?

So as you tug the chain, you are taking away a scholarship from another student athlete.

Why not make the university commit to 2 years of scholarship for the grad transfer, but still have it count one against the team?

Now, that would be common sense. Let the grad transfer finish grad school, instead of making a token attempt.

So let me get this right...the guys that actually did the work and graduated get punished while the ones who stamp their feet like a brat at a toy store because they don't get playing time get rewarded? Well, at least know we know for certain how the NCAA really feels about education v$ dollars. Hey, at least the NCAA is honest about what their priority is.....gotta give them credit for being honest about that. When will people finally realize this?

Because the proposal isn’t trying to solve for the problem of the grad student who can’t complete his degree in one year.

It’s an attempt to limit the number of kids that go free agency via the grad transfer route by limiting the market for their services.

The thing that is interesting to me is that Cal is advocating it. I wouldn’t think of UK as being a program that is really impacted one way or the other by it.

Using that logic all other scholarships should be held against the schools for 4 years. I wonder how Cal and K would like that.

This was exactly what I was thinking. A scholarship would be held against a school for four years unless the student-athlete received a degree in less time.

Get this the rule change was led by John Calipari. It’s in the article.
Reminds me of Steven Spielberg pushing for the Academy to exclude Netflix movies from Oscar consideration...while working on his own deal with Apple’s new streaming service.

It would be interesting to find out how many grad transfers actually ended up getting graduate degrees from the institution they transferred to.

My God no! That would be advancing a benefit to the student athlete.

This is a whole lot of nothing. No need for a rule change. If a kid is in position to graduate with a year of eligibility remaining, he should be a completely unrestricted free agent.

Incoming college athletes who have enrolled in summer school and received athletics financial aid can transfer and play immediately without a waiver if their head coach departs before the first day of classes for the fall term. Additionally, walk-on student-athletes on teams that provide athletics aid and nonrecruited walk-ons can transfer and play immediately without a waiver. Those rules are effective for students who transfer to new schools this fall.

Incoming college athletes who have enrolled in summer school and received athletics financial aid can transfer and play immediately without a waiver if their head coach departs before the first day of classes for the fall term. Additionally, walk-on student-athletes on teams that provide athletics aid and nonrecruited walk-ons can transfer and play immediately without a waiver. Those rules are effective for students who transfer to new schools this fall.
I must be slipping. These ideas seem eminently sensible.

and it's not going to address the issue of faux grad students who show up on campus in september sometimes weeks after classes start & bail in march or april as soon as the hoops season is over, which is basically fraud
How does that different from one and dones, on the tail end

Why not Grant an extra year if eligibility if the kid is getting a Masters?
Say it with me ...student-athlete

Sure. 5 years of eligibility for a Masters.

7 years of eligibility for a Doctorate.

It's bad enough that it seems like every kid who plays for Notre Dame is there for 7 years. Now they really can stay for 7 years.

Why not Grant an extra year if eligibility if the kid is getting a Masters?
Say it with me ...student-athlete
Sure. 5 years of eligibility for a Masters.

7 years of eligibility for a Doctorate.

It's bad enough that it seems like every kid who plays for Notre Dame is there for 7 years. Now they really can stay for 7 years.

If we are going to let kids that don't really want to go to school play (some of the one and two and dones) than why not let the kids that really really want to pursue advanced education continue to play while they do so? It might improve the quality of the basketball by offsetting early departures of the most talented players by keeping some of the guys who are very good by virtue of being wiley veterans.

I really like this idea!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom