NCAA/Wisconsin thoughts | Syracusefan.com

NCAA/Wisconsin thoughts

General20

Basketball Maven
We have an absolutely fascinating match up with Wisconsin coming up tomorrow, and if we can win it, either a blockbuster Ohio St. showdown or a Cincinnati rematch (it seems like every time conference rivals match up in the elite 8 the game is epic). It should be an amazing tournament, so I wanted to throw a few thoughts out there about it.

Almost everybody you talk to or hear from is saying Syracuse played terrible in game one against Asheville, and great in game two against K State. I'd say Syracuse played about the same in each. In fact, I will say that Syracuse has been by far the most consistent team in the country all year long. The difference between SU consistently blowing out opponents early in the season, and SU consistently playing close games late in the season had everything to do with the opponents. Specifically the fact that early in the season all teams turn the ball over more than they do late in the season, take away all the free points SU got from turnovers and you account for the discrepancy in margin of victory (Syracuse relies on, and is better at converting, turnovers into points then any team in the country).

To account for the difference between UNC Asheville and Kansas St. you have to account for the fact that Asheville used the blue print for how to beat SU and Kansas St. did not. Unfortunately for Syracuse, yes there is a blue print on how to beat them. Play a soft zone where all five guys take responsibility for keeping people out of the lane, and give up open three point shots if they have to - dont turn the ball over - get back on defense. If you play that way you will at least make Syracuse look bad, if not win the game. That is how Cincinnati beat us in the Big East tournament, and how Asheville made us look bad in round 1 of this tournament. Kansas St. played a high pressure defense and all of a sudden Syracuse looked like a world beater again, this is no coincidence.

The good news is, the blue print on how to beat SU is an extremely unusual one, and the polar opposite of how most teams like to play (credit Boeheim for building the perfect system). Not many teams will even try it. Wisconsin wont. In fact, of all the possible match ups we have left, only Cincinnati will employ that defense against us.

Onto the Wisconsin game. Yes, they are going to slow the game down, and no, SU cannot force them to speed up by pressing. I watched Wisconsin play North Carolina this year, who pressed them all game long. Wisconsin simply broke the press and continued to milk the clock. Pressing does not make you shoot early if you dont want to. Wisconsin has an All American senior point guard in Taylor, and they turn the ball over less than just about any team in the country so anybody thinking press should let that dream go right now. Wisconsin is built to handle the press, and Wisconsin is going to succeed in slowing the game down. This is ok. Almost every team Syracuse has played this year has tried to slow the game down, so SU is just as experienced at winning slow paced games as Wisconsin is, and even more successful at it.

I think every fan of both sides would agree that if Wisconsin is hitting the three point shot efficiently against SU they are going to win the game. The question is, what do they have to do to pull this off? Wisconsin is capable of playing all five guys outside the three point line, or four in and one out, or three in and two out. They will never have more than two guys inside at a time.

If Wisconsin plays four or five out, and simply tries to shuttle the ball around the perimeter, they are going to find it nearly impossible to shoot efficiently over Syracuse's athletic group 6'8 forwards and 6'4 guards. Their only chance is to play three out and two in - with their center down low, engaging Christmas, and their forward Evans in the middle of the zone. Evans can take and hit the mid range jump shot, and it seems to me that he is peaking right now. If Wisconsin wants to generate open shots against SU they are going to have to go to Evans in the middle, hope he can hit a few shots and force SU to collapse, opening up the three ball.

The problem with this strategy is that while Evans has all the tools necessary to shine against SU's zone, he is the one player on Wisconsin who has problems with turnovers and decision making. If Wisconsin run their offense through Evans they may sacrifice the turnover free efficient style of play that has gotten them this far. And we all know what Syracuse does to teams that turn the ball over.

However, expect Wisconsin to go to Evans in mid-range early and often, because the alternative for Wisconsin is 4 players outside the arc, dribble drive and kick for a three, and I dont think that will play well against SU's zone at all.

On the other side of the ball, Wisconsin is going to get back on defense and not allow many easy baskets. Expect them to play a physical high pressure man defense that contests any outside shots. Expect Scoop and Waiters to be on the floor for the vast majority of this game. They are going to have to drive, draw help from Wisconsin's bigs (who are most likely to help, Wisconsin does not like to leave shooters open) and find the open man.

This is a good place to do a Melo damage report. How has his absence hurt us? How will it hurt us? Against Asheville, we hardly missed Melo at all. Against Kansas State, his absence did not lead to more rebounds for them (as you hear a lot), but it did lead to more points. The dirty little secret nobody talks about is that while SU gets out rebounded often, they dont usually lose the battle of second chance points (and if they do its by a nominal margin). A lot of the credit for this must be given to Melo. Its hard to convert offensive rebounds into points with him under the basket. Kansas State found it easier to convert offensive rebounds than they would have if Melo were there, and thus won the battle for second chance points.

Against Wisconsin I expect a lot of drives and dishes to our bigs. Melo was pretty good at converting these, especially in lob form, and he and Jardine had a nice connection when it came to this. Losing it will hurt even though Christmas is capable of catching and converting down low. Where Melo's absence really scares me is in the event Christmas gets into foul trouble. Kieta will be fine defensively against Wisconsin, but I dont want too rely on him to catch the ball and convert it down low on offense.

I look at Southerland as a Get Out of Jail Free card. I knew, going into the tournament, that there would be at least one game and maybe more where if he didnt shoot well we would lose. As it turns out, we cashed that ticket in right off the bat. If Southerland plays poorly against Asheville we lose. If he had played poorly against Kansas State, I still think we would have won, but not by as much. Even though he has been maybe our best player so far, this is not going to be his kind of game (though I hope he stays hot because we will need to cash in that Get Out of Jail Free card one more time if we play Cincinnati).

This type of physical, scrappy, defensive game is really where CJ Fair butters his bread so to speak. We are most likely going to need him to shine, which is a bit scary considering he is mired in what is really the first slump of his career. I am hoping a week of practice, and the fact that all he has to focus on is working the baseline, catching the ball and finishing (or getting the offensive rebound) once the guards have drawn his defender, means he can be relied upon.

In my opinion, Wisconsin's biggest advantage is that their most important X factor (Evans) is peaking, while the most important X factor for Syracuse (Fair) is slumping.

Conversely, Syracuse's biggest advantage is that both Scoop and Waiters are well equipped to break pressure defense down off the dribble and either score themselves or find open players down low. Boeheim will find which one is hot, or which one has the bigger mismatch and let him go to work. That combination has never failed to succeed for Syracuse against pressure defense.

I think if you took a poll asking who the best guard in this tournament is, Taylor from Wisconsin would get a lot of the votes, and rightfully so, he is very good. But the best guard in this tournament is Dion Waiters. I'd be shocked if he had less than 15 against Wisconsin.

I will be honest, in my bracket I have Wisconsin beating SU in this game. Looking back I think I was maybe a little too pessimistic filling my brackets out immediately after the Melo news broke. With fresh eyes, I see this as a game which will come down to the wire and be decided by a play or two on either side, Syracuse has been remarkable in those types of games this year, playing in tons of them and winning them all. So I will give SU a slight edge, but this is a 50/50 proposition by any reasonable definition. Should be fun.

Good post. Can't find much to disagree with there.

The only point I disagree with is the part about crediting JB for developing the perfect system. The early part of your post suggests that teams play us that way because we can't shoot well consistently from outside. I don't think that is by JB's design. I think it just is.

I definitely agree that CJ will be an offensive key in this game. there is going to be a lot of opportunities for him on dump offs and put backs. I could see CJ logging a double double tomorrow.

if everyone is so worried about the 3, just let them try to make the mid-range shot all game long. 15 x 2 = 30 versus 15 x 3 = 45 (15 points is huge in a low-scoring game). The worst thing would be to start collapsing even if they convert a few of those foul line jumpers.

The only point I disagree with is the part about crediting JB for developing the perfect system. The early part of your post suggests that teams play us that way because we can't shoot well consistently from outside. I don't think that is by JB's design. I think it just is.

Trust me, I am not saying Boeheim built Syracuse to be a poor shooting team. Next year we are going to be a great shooting team. But I am giving credit to Boehiem for building Syracuse in a way (both offensively and defensively) that makes teams play a style that is awkward for them, and employ strategies they are not used to. That is a hallmark - probably THE hallmark - of the Boeheim team.

I definitely agree that CJ will be an offensive key in this game. there is going to be a lot of opportunities for him on dump offs and put backs. I could see CJ logging a double double tomorrow.

CJ needs to get out of his own head. His issue is between the ears right now. He needs to get confidence back in his shot.

if everyone is so worried about the 3, just let them try to make the mid-range shot all game long. 15 x 2 = 30 versus 15 x 3 = 45 (15 points is huge in a low-scoring game). The worst thing would be to start collapsing even if they convert a few of those foul line jumpers.

this might be the 1 game i want bluecurtain coaching :eek:

CJ needs to get out of his own head. His issue is between the ears right now. He needs to get confidence back in his shot.
he just needs to work from the inside out. He's relying too much on his jumper and that really shouldn't be in his arsenal yet, at least not to the extent he is using it. He is at his best inside 8 feet.

there will be a lot of interior opportunities for him tomorrow. time to eat, CJ.

he just needs to work from the inside out. He's relying too much on his jumper and that really shouldn't be in his arsenal yet, at least not to the extent he is using it. He is at his best inside 8 feet.

there will be a lot of interior opportunities for him tomorrow. time to eat, CJ.

He missed two layups at the beginning of the KSU game.

He missed two layups at the beginning of the KSU game.
he's missed lots of layups, that doesn't mean it isn't his game. Hell, Arinze Onuaku was Mr. Automatic and he missed 35% of his layups.

He finished the game against KSU (at least his part of the game) by going to the hole and drawing fouls, knocking down 3 at the line. That's his game. Go inside. He is the closest thing to a post player that the Orange have.

JB's gameplan will be exactly the way he handles late game situations -- who has the matchup most favorable. I think Kris could have a big day getting the ball on the wing from a drive and kick, especially if he is matched up with one of Wisky's big, slow white guys.

Nice write up. I agree that the difference in how we played in the two games has been grossly exaggerated. No matter how many times JB says in his pressers "we made/missed shots" it seems like people always want to gloss over this and over analyze the game. If Scoop doesn't knock down those 3s it's a different game. If a few more 3s go down vs unca that's a different game.
I don't agree that this shooting discrep can all be attributed to the style of the opposing defense. The looks we got in the 2nd game were no better imo; though you could certainly argue we should've been more selective against a team who had nobody over 6'5".

he's missed lots of layups, that doesn't mean it isn't his game. Hell, Arinze Onuaku was Mr. Automatic and he missed 35% of his layups.

He finished the game against KSU (at least his part of the game) by going to the hole and drawing fouls, knocking down 3 at the line. That's his game. Go inside. He is the closest thing to a post player that the Orange have.

CJ is in a shooting slump (2 for 17 in last 4 games)-AO's FG percentage doesn't change that. IMHO, it appears to be mental. He just needs to knock one down and I think he'll be fine. Hopefully the FTs he made in the 2nd half of KSU will get him there, because we will need him to make some FGs at some point soon.

Wisconsin is going to get back on defense and not allow many easy baskets. Expect them to play a physical high pressure man defense that contests any outside shots.
From a Badger fan, very nice write up -- the only thing I'd quibble with is the description of Wisconsin as "high pressure" defense. I equate that term with a team that causes a lot of turnovers & that is not us. Physical is an apt description, but I would use the term "sticky", not high-pressure.

Wisconsin is 36% from three on the season.
Wisconsin is 47% from two on the season.

Would we rather them shoot 15 threes or 15 twos?

Expected points from threes = (.36)(15)(3) = 16.2
Expected points from twos = (.47)(15)(2) = 14.1

Nice write-up! My only additional thought here is that the press can do more than just turn a team over. It could tire their legs (which is pretty much unmeasurable, but could affect late game shooting and even foul shooting as I don't think they are a deep team). It could also affect their ability to play defense late in the game.

A press can also play a role in the amount of time they have to set up a play and the amount of time we have to chase them. May only be 5 seconds or so, but if we even get a couple of shot clock violations out of it that is as good as a turnover.

Finally, a press can jump-start the aggressiveness of your own team if they are sluggish.

Personally, I would keep it in our bag of tricks for situational use at the very least.

Wisconsin is 36% from three on the season.
Wisconsin is 47% from two on the season.

Would we rather them shoot 15 threes or 15 twos?

Expected points from threes = (.36)(15)(3) = 16.2
Expected points from twos = (.47)(15)(2) = 14.1

I'd like to see their 3pt% against zone defenses to get a better gauge of that.

Clearly, a great job. The facts are unquestionable. The logic is unassailable. But, I just don't think it's going to turn out that way.

I think SU races ahead a bit and gets a 7 point lead. Wisconsin starts coming unglued as they sense urgency. They start to rush their shots and get out of character. SU balloons it out to a 15 point lead. And that's how it ends.

I predict a return by Gus Johnson, Wisconsin to blow a huge lead as Syracuse beats them down in the last five minutes, a Jim Boeheim headbutt to Bo Ryan, and our team plowing the only two decent Wisconsin cheerleaders after the game, causing Wisconsin players to cry at midcourt.

From a Badger fan, very nice write up -- the only thing I'd quibble with is the description of Wisconsin as "high pressure" defense. I equate that term with a team that causes a lot of turnovers & that is not us. Physical is an apt description, but I would use the term "sticky", not high-pressure.

Thanks from the input. I have seen Wisconsin play maybe three or four times this year so I am far from an expert. I love hearing informed opinions from opposing fans, so dont by shy about telling me what I have wrong, or right as the case may be.

Thanks General20, that was extremely informative and balanced. Two very good teams with different approaches .. the absolute best time of the year!!

My biggest concern is less about Wiscy, & more about CUSE.

Wisconsin seems like the type of school that could lull Syracuse to sleep, giving them a false sense of security.

If we play our defense aggressively, I think Wisconsin will have a hard time scoring. If we play like we did in the first half vs. Notre Dame and Cincy in New York, we'll have our third loss for sure.

I don't believe the loss of dominance by Syracuse was simply a result of their opponents. I do think we've lost something from early in the season both in terms of defense and shooting but we are showing signs of getting it back.

We need everyone to play well. So do 15 other teams.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bspencer309

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom