NCSt is going down | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

NCSt is going down

It's funny, I get them doom and gloom because last year we didn't get our butts kicked the way NU and Clemson did. Still at one point we were 2-4 after barely beating Pitt and struggling in all aspects of the game against SB in the first half. We also lost in incredibly ugly fashion to a below average Minnesota and an average Rutgers. We needed minor miracles to beat a bad USF and a mediocre Missouri that sat one of its best players.

Last year was so much fun, but it teetered on the edge of disaster. 2010 was the same way. 2011 was the same way but it ended in disaster.

This team has the same feel. A lot of things have to go right. Will not be shocked with anywhere from 4 to 8 wins.

good think it will be half empty for our game

Isn't it employee day or something like that? NCSU has a lot of employees. Thought I was told it was a sellout. :noidea:

Embarrassing sideline outbursts like Woody Hayes, Brian Kelly or Jim Boeheim?

Woody Hayes lost his job, Brian Kelly made this Irish Catholic cheer against ND, and when did JB curse out another coach?

I like SS, looking forward to seeing him in action Saturday, thing the schedule did him no favors, but a lot of posters here have commented on the sideline stuff.

There are quite a few guys on this team that know how to win on the road. That's one thing this program post Robinson has been pretty good at.

I'm not sure I completely agree with this. I mean we had 2010 of course, but I don't know how many contributors are still around. Last year we had Mizzou and USF, but if we were going to pull off something like that again, the guy on the team I'd most want is Nassib.

That's not to say we can't go into Raleigh and win this game. They have a QB issue, and looked terrible against Wake. So I hope we do it. But this year's team has only been on the road once. And that first half went about as poorly as it possibly could (albeit against a very good team).

I don't hope he fails. I expect to him to fail based on what we've seen so far. I hope I'm wrong and he pleasantly surprises me. I'm not calling for him to fired, unless he keeps having embarrassing sideline outbursts.

He's here for at least three years. I hope he wins. But, other than the eternal hope of an SU fan I've seen nothing to make me think he can prepare a team to win on the road in Raleigh, or MD or GT.

I find it fun that fans think they have to "support" and "love" their coach to be fans. I'm a Giants fan, never liked Allie Sherman. I'm a Celtics fan, never liked K.C. Jones or Rick Pitino. It's nice when you like the guy coaching your team, but it's not required to still root for the team to win. You are just not surprised when they lose.

Regarding your last paragraph, you reference pro teams. College is a different animal than the pros. Recruiting and fan support depend greatly on perception. If "fans" contribute to a poor perception of their coach/program, they contribute to the failure of their own program. My opinion, of course.

Edit: and I will add, my perception is that if us had played NCSt's schedule, we would be 4-1, rather than 2-3.
And the perception of the program would be 180 degrees different.

I don't hope he fails. I expect to him to fail based on what we've seen so far. I hope I'm wrong and he pleasantly surprises me. I'm not calling for him to fired, unless he keeps having embarrassing sideline outbursts.

He's here for at least three years. I hope he wins. But, other than the eternal hope of an SU fan I've seen nothing to make me think he can prepare a team to win on the road in Raleigh, or MD or GT.

I find it fun that fans think they have to "support" and "love" their coach to be fans. I'm a Giants fan, never liked Allie Sherman. I'm a Celtics fan, never liked K.C. Jones or Rick Pitino. It's nice when you like the guy coaching your team, but it's not required to still root for the team to win. You are just not surprised when they lose.

You didn't like KC Jones? The guy who coached a team to four straight NBA finals, won two, and coached the best single-season team the history of the NBA?! Before injuries destroyed them?

Thank you for sharing that.

Woody Hayes lost his job, Brian Kelly made this Irish Catholic cheer against ND, and when did JB curse out another coach?

I like SS, looking forward to seeing him in action Saturday, thing the schedule did him no favors, but a lot of posters here have commented on the sideline stuff.

You're kidding, right?

JB has never cursed on the court?

Do you even know who "JB" is?

You're kidding, right?

JB has never cursed on the court?

Do you even know who "JB" is?

Every coach in America curses. I'd bet even Chris Petersen has out in Boise. (probably something like gosh damn).

But not every coach screams you (insert coach's name), you mother f*cker, at the other coach during the game. Especially when the other coach really didn't do anything wrong.

I have no problem with fans having our coach's back for it. There's no right or wrong. But I can't help but wonder if you turn the situation around and the opposing coach yelled that at Shafer for the exact same scenario, what would people here be saying? I bet it would be something along the lines of "I'm glad we're not that team, and I'm glad we don't have that coach".

Oh well, not really that big a deal. I just wasn't a fan of it. I'm a big fan of beating NC State though, since that was how this whole topic was started in the first place.

I thought they looked faster and more athletic than we did playing Clemson.

I haven't seen anything this year that would indicate we should win. I see this being a dog fight or we get roughed up.

I was just getting ready to comment on the fact that they looked more competitive against Clemson than we did, even though the score may not reflect that.

Regarding your last paragraph, you reference pro teams. College is a different animal than the pros. Recruiting and fan support depend greatly on perception. If "fans" contribute to a poor perception of their coach/program, they contribute to the failure of their own program. My opinion, of course.

Edit: and I will add, my perception is that if us had played NCSt's schedule, we would be 4-1, rather than 2-3.
And the perception of the program would be 180 degrees different.
That's fair enough.

I agree with a more reasonable schedule they could be 4-1. My only quibble with 2-3 is that they lost a winnable game against PSU looking poorly prepared, playing the wrong QB and putting no pressure on a frosh QB. My concern isn't the record, it is the fact that the guy is a horrible face for the program. He is out of control too often. His newsers show that the pressure is getting to him. As that pressure mounts I fear he could melt down in a really ugly way.

My preference is a head coach who is the CEO and delegates gameplanning to the coordinators. He needs to project confidence and stability, he needs to lift the profile of the program with media, he needs to give confidence to fans and especially donors during times of stability, he needs to set a standard of excellence and preparation that his staff and team live up to. I don't see any of that here.

Look clown, I've expressed my feelings about his sideline antics, but at the end of the day that has little impact on how he manages the program overall, just like Marrone's restrained behavior didn't either.

I'm not sure what you could have seen so far that lead you to expect him to fail. Other than to have mistakenly taken a job at Michigan all the guy has done is done in his career is perform with excellence. He was an integral part of reviving this program, and because of that you expect him to fail?

You've brought up press conferences a couple of times, and what that has to do with his capability of being the HC is beyond me.

Mac was a good BS'er who played the press and glad handed the fans. He was also to a large extent a delegator who recruited and left the details to an excellent staff. He gave good quotes, and he still almost got canned.

P was beyond shy and outside of his world had trouble connecting with people. Guy was an excellent coach, X and O, teacher, gameplanner. Outworked the next guy and for the most part did an excellent job. Basically the opposite of Macphearson. But his press conferences were filled with coach speak and cliche ums and ahs.

Gerg was a disorganized mess in everything. About the only guy that you could say his communications skills reflected how he did the job. He was basically incoherent in any public setting I ever heard him, rambling, disconnected, no organization or through line on what he was trying to say. A bunch of blather that in the end amounted to nothing.

Marrone was a guy who you could tell being in front of a mic was not his natural setting but he worked it and forced himself to do better. I don't think public speaking came naturally to him at all. He was certaintly ly at times but he was also one of the best at giving clear answers to questions to the point of overcommunicating at times. With people he trusted he was very open, he gave Rahme almost total access to the program. He also tried to be a seller of the program to the community and when there wasn't much return on that investment of time, he got out of that business.

Shafer if you ever listen to him is a very good public speaker, he exudes confidence and leadership. He is also really motivated to try to up the support of the program, and he is in full on sell mode much of the time. I think some of the blue collar hardnose friggin this friggin that lock them in the dome is a little over the top, but that's how he is trying to brand the program. He's also the most crisp and clear when he in a press conference setting of all the guys listed here. He doesn't come across as a meathead idiot and I've never seen a deer in the headlights act out of him. It's also obvious that this job means a lot to him and that he wears his heart on his sleeve. Does he need to tone it down, in my opinion sure, but that has nothing to do with his ability to do the job.

If you are really basing your assessment on his ability to do the job based on his sideline demeanor or a press conference, you're an idiot.

Temper, temper. You are prone to Scott Shaferesque outbursts aren't you? No wonder you think he is a "very good public speaker" and "articulate". He meets your definition of those things. He really does come across as a guy who is cracking under the pressure as well as being a meathead.

Although it is fun to watch you blow up like Rumplestilskin over this stuff.

I am fearing a repeat of the Minny game last year. I hope I am wrong.

Temper, temper. You are prone to Scott Shaferesque outbursts aren't you? No wonder you think he is a "very good public speaker" and "articulate". He meets your definition of those things. He really does come across as a guy who is cracking under the pressure as well as being a meathead.

Although it is fun to watch you blow up like Rumplestilskin over this stuff.

If it were up to you 10 years ago we'd be in the Patriot League and wouldn't be having these arguments since no one would give a s*** about SU athletics.

If it were up to you 10 years ago we'd be in the Patriot League and wouldn't be having these arguments since no one would give a s*** about SU athletics.
Is Zone attack the former zak ?

Is Zone attack the former zak ?

Don't know STO, but I am with you. I think we could even play pretty well and still lose, I don't think either team is all that good but problems like we have been having don't get fixed overnight, IMO. If I were you, I would be at Keeneland tailgating and playing the pick 4. Not real confident at this point, would love to be wrong. I thought we could be NW!

Hey, we beat Clemson a billion years ago on a neutral site. (Actually, a mere few months before the Tory Holt game you referenced.

1997 doesn't mean squat.

I know. That game, though, just stood out in what was a very good season.

Don't know STO, but I am with you. I think we could even play pretty well and still lose, I don't think either team is all that good but problems like we have been having don't get fixed overnight, IMO. If I were you, I would be at Keeneland tailgating and playing the pick 4. Not real confident at this point, would love to be wrong. I thought we could be NW!
Its hard to get it through to people that its not that we lost to NW and Clemson, its the ease in which they dismantled our secondary. Your right, problems as bad as ours dont go away in one week. I don't feel any confidence going in.

Its hard to get it through to people that its not that we lost to NW and Clemson, its the ease in which they dismantled our secondary. Your right, problems as bad as ours dont go away in one week. I don't feel any confidence going in.

The only thing giving me any real semblance of hope is that the NC State board is just as down on their team as many of us are. NC State doesn't have the weapons that NU or CU have. I don't think their QB is as good as PSU's was. They played Clemson really tough but otherwise have struggled. They played La Tech, Richmond and CMU as their cupcakes. Struggled with Richmond and had an easier go of the other two. Of course, Tulane beat La Tech.

We have some problems, but will NC State be able to exploit them? Kain Colter and Tajh Boyd aren't going to play for NC State on Saturday.

Again, I don't think we will win, but I don't think it's quite as hopeless as you do.

Ah another with anger management issues. You don't know what you're talking about, but I'm not going to rehash arguments from four years ago. Congrats to D. Gross for getting SU into the ACC where they belong. If we were stuck in the AAC the arguments would be very ugly.

Just keep up the Shaferesque rants. You can be just like your hero, an out of control nut job.

Ah another with anger management issues. You don't know what you're talking about, but I'm not going to rehash arguments from four years ago. Congrats to D. Gross for getting SU into the ACC where they belong. If we were stuck in the AAC the arguments would be very ugly.

Just keep up the Shaferesque rants. You can be just like your hero, an out of control nut job.

Something tells me you will be lucky to make it a week here. Best of luck on Syracuse.com

We are not playing anything remotely close to NW & Clemson. Key to this win is playing mistake free football...No TO's and capitalize on forced TO's. Against a team that is probably similar to us, play a clean game and it most likely can get us the win.

Another key is for our wide outs to grow a pair.

Just beating a dead horse. I thought you'd appreciate that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
granthath9

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom