ND considering full conference membership (?) Link | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

ND considering full conference membership (?) Link

ND has already said they won't go to the Big 10 because it makes them a "regional" school in the midwest. And they are a HORRIBLE fit for the Big 10 and they realize that. ND likes the ACC because it expands their foot-print across the country and they feel the ACC schools are on their level as a whole (olympic sports) with the rest of the ND sports programs.

They have never said such a thing. It's a concern, but they flatly have never, ever said they wouldn't go... and they certainly have had plenty of opportunities to do so privately (but are saying very different things).

The Big Ten is still the odds-on favorite if (when) Notre Dame lands in a conference. The ACC will be an option, however.

some very good points; however, don't forget soccer and baseball...also, there is a midwestern hockey conference and ND chose the eastern conference...bent toward east...as far as rivalries dont discount Syracuse, VT and Miami...prior to going to ACC...and importantly, football recruitment although nationally needs a more southern bent for the very best players.

Lastly, I would direct you to the, OMG bleacherreport I posted today...just found it and it is fairly good article...despite source...

My bet...Notre Dame goes netiher but more likely to ACC...private institutions...academics are important...just look at why WVU hasnt been offered by ACC...the make-up of conference schools is more similar to Notre Dame than the B1g

They chose the Eastern hockey conference because the two Midwest conferences would not A) let them join as an affiliate member (B1G) or B) let them receive their own TV deal.

They approached the Big Ten about joining the hockey league and the Big Ten predictably said "not until you join us in everything."

That's your source? A journalist.

The ND beatwriter who covers the school everyday :noidea:

But what does he know. A message board guy in Syracuse knows more. lol

------------------

The problem with ND joining an ACC at 16 or Big 10 at 14 teams is that the teams will be playing 9 conference games.

If ND only wants to play games within their division, then you have a situation where most of the conference teams are not going to play them. ND will be playing a "select group" of schools.

That is a recipe for creating problems.

ND should do what it is doing; stay independent and schedule as it wishes. If it wants to join the ACC then it needs to join as a full member.

ND will never give up Navy (they can't really, lifetime deal they have with them) and USC on their schedule. They have a long-term deal with Michigan signed that would be tough to get out of. So if they join a conference that means no more games with Stanford, Mich St, Purdue, BC (depending on where they go). Those are 4 games they don't want to give up but would have too. Join the ACC they can talk there way into getting BC on their schedule every year. So now they loose 3 maybe 4 big games. Mich, Mich St, Stanford, Purdue

One of my buddies told me the big 12 was working out this deal with ND not sure how true it is... Looks like ND will put all sports into the Big 12 except football the kicker is they will play 4-6 Big 12 teams every year in football … Texas and ND would look to play on Thanksgiving every year.

Notre Dame doesn't want to. They've been floating that trial balloon for a few days now, hoping that it scares the ACC or Big 10 into offering them the same sweetheart deal they had with the Big East. If ND was "thinking" about partial membership in the Big 12, the Big 12 would be falling all over themselves to make it happen.

... if Notre Dame even dangles a toe in the Big 12 water it will be a gigantic mistake from an alumn perspective as well as national image of academics..but hey, who is to say what is best for Notre Dame aside from ND

They have never said such a thing. It's a concern, but they flatly have never, ever said they wouldn't go... and they certainly have had plenty of opportunities to do so privately (but are saying very different things).

The Big Ten is still the odds-on favorite if (when) Notre Dame lands in a conference. The ACC will be an option, however.

Agreed. But I think the odds are more 52% chance versus 48% chance than a large favorite at this point in time. Which is saying something about how quickly the ACC has closed what was an obvious gap prior to this.

Cheers,
Neil

I asked this before and the answer seemed to be no, but are there any bowls whose match-up is TBD as in they can take a wild-card. I thought every bowl has a tie in to the conferences, except the BCS bowls. With the exception of the BCS, ND gets into bowls via their bowl "relationship" with the BE.

If THIS LIST is accurate, there currently are no bowls with TBDs.

Agreed. But I think the odds are more 52% chance versus 48% chance than a large favorite at this point in time. Which is saying something about how quickly the ACC has closed what was an obvious gap prior to this.

Cheers,
Neil

I definitely think it's more possible now than it would have been five years ago, nor am I discounting the possibility being real. At the end of the day, though, the Big Ten has more money, more longstanding rivalries, better geographic proximity (especially for Olympic sports) and the CIC all working in its favor. The ACC is an attractive option because of branding and East coast association, but discounting the Big Ten for Notre Dame is a huge mistake.

The ND beatwriter who covers the school everyday :noidea:

But what does he know. A message board guy in Syracuse knows more. lol

A writer expressing trepidation about ND's ability to compete in the Big 10 and clicking his heels together in hopes of an easier path to the BCS doesn't translate into Notre Dame is a "horrible" fit for the Big 10, as you insist. It just means that they are scared about making that move and being a middle of the pack [at best] team in a competitive conference. Most other factor--$$$, geography, tradition, established rivalries, amongst many others--make the Big 10 the most logical fit for Notre Dame.

Does being locked into a midwestern oriented conference inhibit Ohio State [or Michigan or Penn State] from recruiting nationally? Please--utter nonsense.

I suggest you give Kyle's posts a read.

^^^Everyone is saying ND isn't a fit for the Big 10 including NOTRE DAME who has had an open invitation from them forever and if anything is showing some interest in the ACC and to a lesser extent the Big 12. But you fail to acknowledge it. Whatever. Live in your Bubble.

Notre Dame doesn't view themselves on the same level as Penn St, Ohio St, or Mich. RIGHT OR WRONG (wrong by the way), that's how they view it and that's how they are basing their decisions. They feel they are a national program and don't want to be locked in to the upper-midwest.

But live in your bubble!

^^^Everyone is saying ND isn't a fit for the Big 10 including NOTRE DAME who has had an open invitation from them forever and if anything is showing some interest in the ACC and to a lesser extent the Big 12. But you fail to acknowledge it. Whatever. Live in your Bubble.

Notre Dame doesn't view themselves on the same level as Penn St, Ohio St, or Mich. RIGHT OR WRONG (wrong by the way), that's how they view it and that's how they are basing their decisions. They feel they are a national program and don't want to be locked in to the upper-midwest.

But live in your bubble!

Wow--are you misinformed.

ND doesn't believe they can legitimately compete in the Big 10. They might be right about that, but that has nothing to do with whether they fit there, or are a HORRIBLE fit there [your unsubstantiated claim]. What they want is to have their cake [full membership sans football] and eat it to [easy path to a BCS berth that they might not deserve]. The landscape is changing, and that advantageous circumstance might not be an available option to them. But them looking for an easy path [which is certainly their perogative] does not equate to being a poor fit in the Big 10.

But whatever--feel free to continue burying your head in the sand.

But live in your bubble!

...but yet on three separate occasions in the past 10 years Notre Dame tried to become full members of the Big Ten in all the Olympic sports including again a few years ago. If they were truly worried about regionaliziation, they would have simply been satisfied with staying in the Big East instead of exploring the option of the Big Ten.

I promise that Notre Dame may have that concern, but it's not the overriding factor in their decision-making. The "regional program" argument won't mean squat in the superconference structure. With four 16-team conferences, there won't really be much in the way of "regional" programs. Further, the Big Ten with Notre Dame, Texas, Rutgers and Maryland (or Connecticut), for instance, would cover nearly 38% of the entire country in television households. It's hard to call that a regional conference.

I promise that Notre Dame may have that concern, but it's not the overriding factor in their decision-making. The "regional program" argument won't mean squat in the superconference structure. With four 16-team conferences, there won't really be much in the way of "regional" programs. Further, the Big Ten with Notre Dame, Texas, Rutgers and Maryland (or Connecticut), for instance, would cover nearly 38% of the entire country in television households. It's hard to call that a regional conference.

what they going to a 20 team conference adding all those schools? Please!

what they going to a 20 team conference adding all those schools? Please!

Who said anything about 20 teams? I listed 5 schools for 4 spots; 12+4=16 teams

The Big Ten has about 24 million households currently in their footprint. If they add the aforementioned four schools: Texas (8 mil statewide), Rutgers (8 mil in the NYC/NJ DMA) and Maryland (4 mil statewide), the footprint would then cover 44 million households of 115 nationwide (38.2%)..

The Big Ten has about 24 million households currently in their footprint. If they add the aforementioned four schools: Texas (8 mil statewide), Rutgers (8 mil in the NYC/NJ DMA) and Maryland (4 mil statewide), the footprint would then cover 44 million households of 115 nationwide (38.2%)..

Which, of course, is awesome. But then an ACC with ND and PSU does the same thing in terms of TVHHs. Though that configuration of the BiG trumps the ACC in terms of projected population by 2030 (thanks to Texas).

Cheers,
Neil

Which, of course, is awesome. But then an ACC with ND and PSU does the same thing in terms of TVHHs. Though that configuration of the BiG trumps the ACC in terms of projected population by 2030 (thanks to Texas).

Cheers,
Neil

My aim wasn't really compare the two regions in population but rather to show that the Big Ten would be much more than an "Upper Midwest" conference if it were to add those teams. Basically it just shows that Notre Dame wouldn't be relegated to exposure in the Great Lakes region if they were to join the B1G.

My aim wasn't really compare the two regions in population but rather to show that the Big Ten would be much more than an "Upper Midwest" conference if it were to add those teams. Basically it just shows that Notre Dame wouldn't be relegated to exposure in the Great Lakes region if they were to join the B1G.

Agreed. And the ACC is still a conference that is mostly in the South Atlantic region. So I'm sure ND will find that nearly as restrictive as the BiG. Four schools in North Carolina is 2 too many.

But ND still appears years away from biting the bullet at this point in time. So I see the BiG and the ACC staying at their current numbers for a while.

Cheers,
Neil

Agreed. And the ACC is still a conference that is mostly in the South Atlantic region. So I'm sure ND will find that nearly as restrictive as the BiG. Four schools in North Carolina is 2 too many.

But ND still appears years away from biting the bullet at this point in time. So I see the BiG and the ACC staying at their current numbers for a while.

Cheers,
Neil

Yeah I don't see Notre Dame making any kind of commitment until at least 2014.