ND game next year | Syracusefan.com

ND game next year

elimunelson

Solvay Fanatic
Does anyone think that the Dino hire/fire situation has 10% to do with the fact that the season tix will be directly tied to a home game vs Notre Dame for the first time since 2003? I wonder if the school doesn't really care about the impact of bringing back a lame duck coach if the tix will sell no matter what.

If we lose comfortably on Saturday I just wonder where the oomph comes from next year?

Does anyone think that the Dino hire/fire situation has 10% to do with the fact that the season tix will be directly tied to a home game vs Notre Dame for the first time since 2003? I wonder if the school doesn't really care about the impact of bringing back a lame duck coach if the tix will sell no matter what.

If we lose comfortably on Saturday I just wonder where the oomph comes from next year?
When I was at the ND game in 2003 ( thank you Walter Reyes!), there were plenty of empty seats. Curious time to raise ticket prices seeing what the product on the field is right now and Dino basically a lame duck coach. Trying to cash in on ND when they couldn’t even sell out the last time with a better team

Not to mention the possibility of Tucker not being here

Last edited:
I’ll get nauseous if over 40% of the domes green and gold

Yes, this is the type of retrograde logic that Syracuse uses.

ND played at UVA a couple weeks ago and the stadium was only 80% full. As someone mentioned, SU didn’t sell out the 2003 game (although, to be fairrrrrr, there was a snowstorm in the NYC area that day that might have kept some folks away).

I don’t think ND is the home run draw it once was. We’ve played them a bunch, there really isn’t a lot of novelty to the game anymore.

If we’re good then I can see it selling out. But I don’t think it’s going to motivate thousands of people to buy season tickets months ahead of time.

I think the ND impact on the number of season tickets bought is being overstated.

EDIT: assumed you were talking about ND fans purchasing them.

I don't think there's any ND fan thinking I'm going to have to buy season tickets to get into the Syracuse game. Too many options with secondary market these days.

Maybe a few of them bite on the $125 upper end zones and trying to recover what they can in secondary market. It's the amount they're used to paying anyway (for a single ticket).

We should just price that individual game ticket higher than normal, not package it, and just take what we can get.

ND played at UVA a couple weeks ago and the stadium was only 80% full. As someone mentioned, SU didn’t sell out the 2003 game (although, to be fairrrrrr, there was a snowstorm in the NYC area that day that might have kept some folks away).

I don’t think ND is the home run draw it once was. We’ve played them a bunch, there really isn’t a lot of novelty to the game anymore.

If we’re good then I can see it selling out. But I don’t think it’s going to motivate thousands of people to buy season tickets months ahead of time.

That snow storm was a real thing. I got snowed in down in NYC. Moved to NYC a few nights before.

That ND team was 5-7 too. There was some mitigating factors on their end. I think ND is a tremendous draw still for any Catholic subway alum up and down the Northeast. SU is an easy game to go to. I went to the Ireland classic with ND/Navy and that place was packed with ND fans. They travel, they spend, they are usually more well to do than normal fans.

I think the game will easily sell out. Whether people show up will depend on how the Irish/Orange are doing at that particular juncture.

I just am somewhat cynical of Syracuse football. Zero benefit of the doubt no matter what they do.

I don't see it as pessimistically as some others. We lost 3 games by a TOTAL of 9 points. With a couple of bad calls reversed and maybe a break or two, we could be looking at 8-4. The world is not ending. I know its easy to say we were close, but we REALLY were. Its not like every game was like the last 2.

That snow storm was a real thing. I got snowed in down in NYC. Moved to NYC a few nights before.

That ND team was 5-7 too. There was some mitigating factors on their end. I think ND is a tremendous draw still for any Catholic subway alum up and down the Northeast. SU is an easy game to go to. I went to the Ireland classic with ND/Navy and that place was packed with ND fans. They travel, they spend, they are usually more well to do than normal fans.

I think the game will easily sell out. Whether people show up will depend on how the Irish/Orange are doing at that particular juncture.

I just am somewhat cynical of Syracuse football. Zero benefit of the doubt no matter what they do.
We’ll see, I’m just not so sure. ND has played 4 road games so far this season, and didn’t sell out three of them (at FSU, Wisconsin and UVA). Only VaTech sold out, and we’ll how it goes at Stanford this weekend.

We’ll see, I’m just not so sure. ND has played 4 road games so far this season, and didn’t sell out three of them (at FSU, Wisconsin and UVA). Only VaTech sold out, and we’ll how it goes at Stanford this weekend.

I'd guess it's not as big a deal for Stanford, seeing they host them every other year. Wisconsin was at Soldier Field, kinda surprised that didn't sell out, looks like it came 2,000 tickets short.

I thought the UVA attendance number was a little surprising too. You think there was any Brennan Armstrong injury impact? UVA gives us a run for worst drop off after starting QB goes down (from our past few years).

I think the ND game pops our new(ish) normal 32k to about 40-42k. If by some miracle we're 4-0 and the game is on Oct 1, then a bigger pop. But that means we will have won an ACC opening game, and beat Purdue at home. That future bet would pay a lot of money.

When I was at the ND game in 2003 ( thank you Walter Reyes!), there were plenty of empty seats.
Announced crowd was 48,170. This was the scene on the first play of the game.

1637686136208.png

SU played games with season tickets for the ND game in 2003 and got left holding the bag. There were season tickets and I believe a three game package. They didn’t sell individual tickets and they had about five thousand seats left. SU may need to win four ACC games next year to win six games. They will probably lose to both ND and Purdue. I don’t see four wins in the ACC.

Funny, don’t recall the snow storm at all, nor any problems getting there from north Jersey. That memory must’ve been wiped out by Sir Walter. True, it wasn’t sold out, but it was packed and very loud. Too bad you got snowed in - good times. Bet you made the MetLife game, though it was less enjoyable ;)

I don't see it as pessimistically as some others. We lost 3 games by a TOTAL of 9 points. With a couple of bad calls reversed and maybe a break or two, we could be looking at 8-4. The world is not ending. I know its easy to say we were close, but we REALLY were. Its not like every game was like the last 2.
Thank you!
678C910B-546F-424B-B11A-BAC43329ACCC.jpeg

Am I the only one who actually doesn’t want to go to the game because it’s notre dame. This is the worst group of fans in the history of sports. It’s not like when Clemson fans come to town and are super nice. I went to yankee stadium for the game and I was shocked by them.

I’ll be there wearing orange and screaming my head off. STH… don’t sell your seat and go to this game!

On a side note, my Sgt at work is a ND fan and he’s not going to this game. He says it’s not the same going to a ND road game. When he wants to go, he splurges and goes to South Bend with his sons.

Last edited:
I'd guess it's not as big a deal for Stanford, seeing they host them every other year. Wisconsin was at Soldier Field, kinda surprised that didn't sell out, looks like it came 2,000 tickets short.

I thought the UVA attendance number was a little surprising too. You think there was any Brennan Armstrong injury impact? UVA gives us a run for worst drop off after starting QB goes down (from our past few years).

I think the ND game pops our new(ish) normal 32k to about 40-42k. If by some miracle we're 4-0 and the game is on Oct 1, then a bigger pop. But that means we will have won an ACC opening game, and beat Purdue at home. That future bet would pay a lot of money.
The paint is still wet on my connection to UVA, so I’m far from an expert. But if ND is the draw that some suggest, they should’ve sold out that game long before the QB injury could have made a difference. And yeah, ND didn’t sell out against Wisconsin in CHICAGO.

I really think that for the under 40 crowd ND is just another program. They were largely irrelevant for years, and now when they’re good they’re on par with any other top team. I mean, the data shows conclusively that Penn State is a bigger draw in the northeast. And while ND has fans all over the country, so does Michigan, Ohio State and Alabama, among many others.

No, I think it is more like 8%.

SU played games with season tickets for the ND game in 2003 and got left holding the bag. There were season tickets and I believe a three game package. They didn’t sell individual tickets and they had about five thousand seats left. SU may need to win four ACC games next year to win six games. They will probably lose to both ND and Purdue. I don’t see four wins in the ACC.
Another factor in keeping Dino is the fact the schedule next year is a gauntlet. Let him eat the 3-4 win season and then bring another guy in after that.

THIS was the season to make hay. It was perfectly set up to win 7 games. Of course, best laid plans...

The paint is still wet on my connection to UVA, so I’m far from an expert. But if ND is the draw that some suggest, they should’ve sold out that game long before the QB injury could have made a difference. And yeah, ND didn’t sell out against Wisconsin in CHICAGO.

I really think that for the under 40 crowd ND is just another program. They were largely irrelevant for years, and now when they’re good they’re on par with any other top team. I mean, the data shows conclusively that Penn State is a bigger draw in the northeast. And while ND has fans all over the country, so does Michigan, Ohio State and Alabama, among many others.

I also wonder what part ND fans play in this. There have been recent situations where opposing crowds just seemed to take over large sections of ND Stadium. Nebraska (I guess that one was a while ago), Georgia, and even Cincy this year. Red all over the place.

Maybe they're not traveling as well to away games either.

You would think ND alone could sell out a 61k capacity stadium in Chicago.

Could be that realizing how high the hill is to climb to win a national title is setting in.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom