Need a portal DL | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Need a portal DL

I could see possible transfers after spring ball of
Cooley, Nunn, Greenwood, at least one WR or OL.
Never want guys to leave but it seem inevitable now. Always hope they get their degree before they leave.

I agree. I don't like seeing a player leave, but if that's their decision I too hope they are in good academic standing or have earned a degree. But the portal is here which does make transfers seem inevitable.

Logjams are created when we recruit an excessive number of players at the same position who have similar eligibility remaining or when a younger payer (with more eligibility) passes a player on the depth chart. Bottom line, if a player doesn't see a reasonable path to playing time, they are a potential candidate to transfer.

Certainly, the secondary is now a position where this could happen depending on how things sort out in spring ball.
  • RS Sr, Coley; 7 career starts, 407 snaps last season
  • Jr, Simmons; 10 starts, 580 snaps
  • RS So, Williams; 10 starts, 539 snaps
  • RS So, Greenwood; 7 career starts, 200 snaps last season
  • RS So, Nunn; 19 snaps at CB. Was still recovering from injury.
  • So: Chestnut; 12 starts, 703 snaps
  • So, Carter; 18 career starts, 481 snaps last season
  • So, Barron; 9 starts, 420 snaps
  • So, Hannah; 11 career starts, 341 snaps
  • So, Alijah Clark; transfer from Rutgers where he saw action in 7 games, 46 snap at CB*.
  • RS Fr, Folk; injured for part of the season, did not play
  • RS Fr, Oliver; transfer from Louisville. Did not play in 2021
  • Fr: Foster, Perry, Wilson; all enrolled early and will participate in spring ball.
  • Fr, Quan Peterson; signed, but has yet to enroll.
We have 8 guys with a lot of on-field experience in our 3-3-5 scheme. We return 9 guys from the two-deep depth chart at the end of 2021. We return 58/60 starts from 2021.
  • After 2022 Williams is likely to test the NFL waters and Coley will run out of eligibility.
  • After 2023 Chestnut is likely to test the NFL waters and Simmons' eligibility will expire.
*Many on this board have commented about Clark coming in to play safety. It should be noted he was listed as a CB coming out of HS and he played CB at Rutgers, not safety.

Our offensive line is returning a lot of experience as well. I believe we are returning 48 of the 60 starts from 2021.
  • Davis, RS Sr; 10 games, 9 starts, 651 snaps.
  • Tisdale, RS Sr; 8 games, 5 starts, 419 snaps.
  • Vettorello, RS Jr; 8 games, 8 starts, 491 snaps. Recovering from injury.
  • Froumy, RS Jr; 1 game, 4 snaps. Injured for 2 years. Might qualify for a med RS yr.
  • Bleich, Rs Jr; 8 games, 7 starts, 461 snaps. Recovering from surgery.
  • Bergeron, Jr; 12 starts, 836 snaps.
  • Red, RS So; 2 games, 9 snaps.
  • Bradford, RS So; 2 games 9 snaps.
  • Petry, RS So; missed 2021 due to injury.
  • Ellis, So; 9 games, 5 starts; 417 snaps as a true freshman.
  • Ilaoa, So; 11 games, 1 start; 179 snaps.
  • E. Cruz, RS Fr; has not played.
  • Magnuson, RS Fr; has not played.
  • Kauhi, RS Fr; has not played.
  • Hoeh, RS Fr; has not played.
  • Barclay, RS Fr; has not played.
  • Shuster, Fr; signed.
  • J. Cruz, Fr; signed.
We return 7 offensive linemen who saw significant time in 2021. Coaches are looking into a couple of centers in the portal. Upper classmen I believe.

Some young guys will get a chance to impress in the spring as some older guys continue to recover from injuries. If some of those young guys who were able to redshirt last season pass some of the older guys, we could see a player or two leave for greener pastures.

The wide receiver room will be interesting to watch this spring. With the new coaches, which receivers will emerge as playmakers?
  • Cooper, RS Sr; 11 games, 1 start, 261 snaps, 21 catches.
  • Hayes, RS Sr; Transfer from Mich St. (no meaningful WR snaps since 2019).
  • Queeley, RS Jr; 12 games, 603 snaps, 15 catches.
  • Jackson, RS So; 12 games, 8 starts, 495 snaps, 37 catches (team leader).
  • Jones, RS So; 2 games, 7 snaps, 0 catches
  • Alford, So; 12 games, 5 starts, 384 snaps, 13 catches
  • Pena, So; 8 games, 56 snaps, 2 catches. Injured, missed last 4 games
  • Gadsden, So; 8 games, 116 snaps, 2 catches. Missed four games due to injury.
  • Williams, RS Fr; did not play
  • Hatcher, RS Fr; 4 games, 24 snaps, 0 catches.
  • Long, RS Fr; did not play
  • Brown, Fr; enrolled early. Will participate in spring ball.

How deep will the receiver rotation go? The ability to block downfield to support the run game will also be a factor when determining playing time.

The QB battle will also be interesting. Shrader is the returning start. But he was less than the ideal passer. We need an efficient passing game to compliment a strong running game.
  • Will one of the three redshirt freshman QB's step up to challenge Shrader?
  • Will Shrader respond favorably to the new coaching?
It would not surprise me if the man on the bottom of the totem pole after spring heads to the portal. Especially if he doesn't see a reasonable path to get playing time at Syracuse (positioned behind two other QB's with the same amount of eligibility left). Note: Villari cannot transfer again without sitting out a year.

It should be a very competitive spring.

Rhino was bad at D Tackle but you never know. This staff might give him a shot there.
I wonder if he's a better fit with the 3-3-5. Don't need the same size as the previous scheme.

When Okechukwu was recruited his HS coach said he could probably play inside and outside depending on his weight etc.

I think if Linton & Geer can play a lot of snaps at DE you could see Caleb O play at DE and DT. That could help ease some depth questions perhaps.
Thats a good thought.

Could but valuable on offense.
He is valuable is the run game but limits the use of TE in passing. Did not matter in the past with how the TE was not used. However if Anae uses the TE Rhino limits that option.

He is valuable is the run game but limits the use of TE in passing. Did not matter in the past with how the TE was not used. However if Anae uses the TE Rhino limits that option.
He is a fullback, not a traditional TE. Elmore has never ran a route further than 5 yards down the field. He will still be a short yardage, goal line guy. Why do you think his role will change in Anae's offense?

He is a fullback, not a traditional TE. Elmore has never ran a route further than 5 yards down the field. He will still be a short yardage, goal line guy. Why do you think his role will change in Anae's offense?
Hopefully Mang will develope into the type of TE we need. You can't teach his size and athletic ability. This is only his 3rd or 4th year in football, we need someone to teach him.

The role of the TE is likely to change-I.e. they could actually get the ball thrown to them and not be a 6th OL. Wish we could have done something like this a year earlier and take advantage of Benson and Morris' skills (Of course, Anae and Beck wouldn't have been available).

Hopefully Mang will develope into the type of TE we need. You can't teach his size and athletic ability. This is only his 3rd or 4th year in football, we need someone to teach him.
Agree

The role of the TE is likely to change-I.e. they could actually get the ball thrown to them and not be a 6th OL. Wish we could have done something like this a year earlier and take advantage of Benson and Morris' skills (Of course, Anae and Beck wouldn't have been available).
I was talking about Elmore being a full back, but yeah the TE's should be used in the pass game now

I was talking about Elmore being a full back, but yeah the TE's should be used in the pass game now
Will be interesting to see 1) if Anae uses a FB 2) Will Dino still be involved in the offense

Will be interesting to see 1) if Anae uses a FB 2) Will Dino still be involved in the offense
Maybe if he wants to continue the strong run game or have big package sets for goal line and short yardage. Imo any competent OC should use an adequate FB for situational offense. It’s makes sense personnel wise. Another example of situational football is playing with a lead. Being able to grind the clock out. I’m not sure there’s a need for him to be that involved with the offense.

Maybe if he wants to continue the strong run game or have big package sets for goal line and short yardage. Imo any competent OC should use an adequate FB for situational offense. It’s makes sense personnel wise. Another example of situational football is playing with a lead. Being able to grind the clock out. I’m not sure there’s a need for him to be that involved with the offense.
DB, HC
Which means he has input into all phases of the program; yes, a radical notion I realize.

I do not that was my point of the possibility of moving him to another position. If he remains at FB it could limit the passing game. Teams would know he’s only a blocker versus Mang or another tire TE who can block but have the option to go out for passes. If we use him as a FB than you either do not use a second TE or a third receiver (slot) on a particular play. It limits the ability to disguise certain passing plays. My opinion. Could be wrong but it seems a versatile TE could provide more on offense then Rhino as a FB.
Rhino is a leader on the team and clearly great teammate and fan favorite but not sure how he fits in the new offensive system. If he is only used in short yardage situations that would work but he was in on a lot more plays last year that were not short yardage.

I do not that was my point of the possibility of moving him to another position. If he remains at FB it could limit the passing game. Teams would know he’s only a blocker versus Mang or another tire TE who can block but have the option to go out for passes. If we use him as a FB than you either do not use a second TE or a third receiver (slot) on a particular play. It limits the ability to disguise certain passing plays. My opinion. Could be wrong but it seems a versatile TE could provide more on offense then Rhino as a FB.
Rhino is a leader on the team and clearly great teammate and fan favorite but not sure how he fits in the new offensive system. If he is only used in short yardage situations that would work but he was in on a lot more plays last year that were not short yardage.

Or….

Rhino works on his hands and routes all winter, spring, and summer, and then we can spring him on unsuspecting victims as a pass catching FB/TE.

I remember back when our “blocking back” Clay Cleveland caught a few WIDE OPEN TD passes near the goal line one season, because NOBODY expected him to ever do more than lead block for the RB.
It was 2013 - he had 6 receptions for 38 yards and 2 TD’s.

When you think about how many 1 score games we lost last season, and how even ONE TD (instead of a FG even) could have changed our W/L record, and the entire narrative of that season…

I truly hope Anae & Beck pull out all the stops, and use all of the weapons at their disposal,
rather than trying to win with one arm tied behind their backs.

Elmore is NOT a TE. Just because you seen him line up as a off set TE doesn't mean he is used as a traditional TE. You dont have to have every eligible receiver run a route to have a successful pass play. Every team has personnel packages. You need different sets for different situations of the game. Redzone offense is extremely important. It can win or lose you games. Dont minimize it. You can cause mix matches in different sets. Different groupings cause match up advantages for the offense. The defense has to put big on big, fast on fast. Its situational football. Elmore is not a every down player. He is a FB. Its a specific position for him. He does it well. He does NOT play DT well. They would put him there if they thought he could help the defense.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom