Neil Young | Syracusefan.com

Neil Young

Rockin in the free world
Owl Chair GIF by Boston Uprising

We went early and stopped at Sonny's Famous Steaks to get cheesesteaks in Philly. One of my friends opted for Oh, Brother Cheesesteaks instead. Rave reviews all around. Both are on Market Street in Penn's Landing. If you're like me and confined to a GF diet, Sonny's has you covered. Not sure about Oh, Brother.

The Freedom Mortgage Pavilion is a great venue. Unbelievable view of Philly, and I prefer its lawn section to the one at PNC and they didn't oversell tickets as PNC did for Dave Matthews when I went last year. Easy access in, though took a while to get out but not unacceptably.

The entire venue was very clean, including the bathrooms. Easy access to the predictably over-priced concessions.

It was a great show... more electric than acoustic. Willie Nelson's youngest son Micah fits in with the band very well. He and Neil play very well with each other. Neil handled most of the solo work, and I probably would have liked to hear Micah do a little more - just out of curiosity and nothing to do with Neil's playing, which was great.

The setlist was coherent and I liked some of the deep cuts he chose - ie Losing End, Don't Cry No Tears, Human Highway. The sound system and overall "sound" of the band was excellent... they were well rehearsed and crisp. Did the tempo wander a bit in songs? Of course, that's a Crazy Horse tradition, but it all worked well.

Cortez, Cinnamon Girl, Everybody Knows, Powderfinger, Heart of Gold, Comes a Time, etc all fantastic.

If you're a fan of Neil's you should definitely catch him on this tour - he's 78 and he's playing like a far younger man. If you're a casual fan and only like his acoustic work, it's probably not going to be the best Neil show, but at 78 we never know if this is his last tour or not!

I first saw Neil in 1986, so fun to still be going in 2024, 38 years later!

Last edited:
We went early and stopped at Sonny's Famous Steaks to get cheesesteaks in Philly. One of my friends opted for Oh, Brother Cheesesteaks instead. Rave reviews all around. Both are on Market Street in Penn's Landing. If you're like me and confined to a GF diet, Sonny's has you covered. Not sure about Oh, Brother.

The Freedom Mortgage Pavilion is a great venue. Unbelievable view of Philly, and I prefer its lawn section to the one at PNC and they didn't oversell tickets as PNC did for Dave Matthews when I went last year. Easy access in, though took a while to get out but not unacceptably.

The entire venue was very clean, including the bathrooms. Easy access to the predictably over-priced concessions.

It was a great show... more electric than acoustic. Willie Nelson's youngest son Micah fits in with the band very well. He and Neil play very well with each other. Neil handled most of the solo work, and I probably would have like to hear Micah do a little more - just out of curiosity and nothing to do with Neil's playing, which was great.

The setlist was coherent and I liked some of the deep cuts he chose - ie Losing End, Don't Cry No Tears, Human Highway. The sound system and overall "sound" of the band was excellent... they were well rehearsed and crisp. Did the tempo wander a bit in songs? Of course, that's a Crazy Horse tradition, but it all worked well.

Cortez, Cinnamon Girl, Everybody Knows, Powderfinger, Heart of Gold, Comes a Time, etc all fantastic.

If you're a fan of Neil's you should definitely catch him on this tour - he's 78 and he's playing like a far younger man. If you're a casual fan and only like his acoustic work, it's probably not going to be the best Neil show, but at 78 we never know if this is his last tour or not!

I first saw Neil in 1986, so fun to still be going in 2024, 38 years later!
Yeah, he never stopped being a rocker.

Still love the cover for the Buffalo Springfield's "Last Time Around", where you have four sorta moptops looking in one direction, and Neil looking in another direction entirely. Kinda worked out that way:

Yeah, he never stopped being a rocker.

Still love the cover for the Buffalo Springfield's "Last Time Around", where you have four sorta moptops looking in one direction, and Neil looking in another direction entirely. Kinda worked out that way:

If ever there was a musician who marched to the beat of his own drummer, it's Neil.

Saw him years ago with Crazy Horse. Was awesome. Saw him a second time during which he refused to play any hits. Pissed me off.

Saw him years ago with Crazy Horse. Was awesome. Saw him a second time during which he refused to play any hits. Pissed me off.
Was that after he made his blues album? I think that was the tour where he really only played songs from that album and maybe a few covers that were bluesy. Just going off memory. I saw him that tour at a small club called The World in NYC when I was probably 17 or 18. Not the greatest musically but I was front row center at a theater that was tiny... he walked across the front of the stage and I had his guitar go right over my head and could have strummed his strings!

He can be temperamental. At Live Aid at SPAC, he got into it with the crowd, when there was some restlessness with all the speeches. But, my favorite concert of all time of any musician was him at SPAC, all by himself on stage, with his electric guitar, his acoustic guitar, his organ, his harmonica and definitely one piano. And maybe had a grand piano and upright piano.

He just sat on a stool and asked the crowd for requests. It was awesome.

Was that after he made his blues album? I think that was the tour where he really only played songs from that album and maybe a few covers that were bluesy. Just going off memory. I saw him that tour at a small club called The World in NYC when I was probably 17 or 18. Not the greatest musically but I was front row center at a theater that was tiny... he walked across the front of the stage and I had his guitar go right over my head and could have strummed his strings!
That sounds right. Saw that show at SPAC.

Seen him in different permutations. Neil & The Shocking Pinks, Neil's country band (Old Ways), Neil's vocoder album (Re*Ac*Tor).

Thankfully, he always played a set of the hits. Always thought Re*Ac*Tor sucked. Still do. Though it's not as if I'm gonna listen to it for a second opinion...

Saw Neil w/ Wilco opening ~15 years ago in Worcester. Just awesome. Great mix of acoustic songs and electric, Crazy Horse rockers. He closed w/ an epic, solo cover of "A Day in the Life."

Saw Neil w/ Wilco opening ~15 years ago in Worcester. Just awesome. Great mix of acoustic songs and electric, Crazy Horse rockers. He closed w/ an epic, solo cover of "A Day in the Life."
Saw Neil once w/Crazy Horse with Jewel opening for him before anyone had heard of her. Whether you like her or not, she had everyone mesmerized that night. Incredible voice.

I missed him that tour - I had two kids under 5 and hall passes were hard to come by - and would have loved to have seen Wilco!

Saw Neil once w/Crazy Horse with Jewel opening for him before anyone had heard of her. Whether you like her or not, she had everyone mesmerized that night. Incredible voice.
Not a huge fan but she has serious pipes... I have only heard bits and pieces about her history growing up and it seems like she fought her way through true hardship.

Seen him in different permutations. Neil & The Shocking Pinks, Neil's country band (Old Ways), Neil's vocoder album (Re*Ac*Tor).

Thankfully, he always played a set of the hits. Always thought Re*Ac*Tor sucked. Still do. Though it's not as if I'm gonna listen to it for a second opinion...
Yeah Neil had some serious bombs when he accommodated his rebel side. The only thing that's funny about it is I don't think he cares at all. Tran is terrible, Reactor same, Shocking Pinks also.

Usually there's ONE song worth remembering, even if you wouldn't want it popping up in a setlist. Wonderin' on Shocking Pinks, Little Think Called Love on Trans, and on Reactor -> NOTHING REACTOR IS TERRIBLE!

As long as we're throwing out favorite shows, I saw Neil at Carnegie Hall in 2014 and that was probably the best of all time. I couldn't even guess how many times I've seen him... at least 30 but probably more.

I can't remember which of the 4 shows in that run I saw but it was like cliftonparksufan said... He was on a stool surrounded by God knows how many guitars and pianos and banjos. I made my wife go even though she was the only wife that went and it was one of her favorite concerts of all time also.

100% - Live at Massey Hall is incredible - the show where Sugar Mountain on Decade is from. Not a concert video, but honestly one of the best live albums ever.
Oh got this so wrong, meant to say Live at Canterbury House 1968 is the Sugar Mountain show.

Yeah, she can really sing. I saw that tour at SPAC, 1996 I believe. Neil helped jumpstart her career.

He can be temperamental. At Live Aid at SPAC, he got into it with the crowd, when there was some restlessness with all the speeches. But, my favorite concert of all time of any musician was him at SPAC, all by himself on stage, with his electric guitar, his acoustic guitar, his organ, his harmonica and definitely one piano. And maybe had a grand piano and upright piano.

He just sat on a stool and asked the crowd for requests. It was awesome.
Here is the setlist from his solo show at SPAC. It was 1992.

Here is the setlist from his solo show at SPAC. It was 1992.

Great show and tour. I saw him at the Garden State Arts Center that July. We brought a friend who was on the fence as a Neil Young fan and left the show a die hard.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom