Nerlens Noel injury is why the 1 and done rule is a joke | Syracusefan.com

Nerlens Noel injury is why the 1 and done rule is a joke

Alsacs

Living Legend
I don't understand how the NBAPA thinks a 1 and done rule is good for them. These kids should have the right to entire the NBA after high school just like they can in hockey and baseball. I understand the NFL's rule as they want men to have more developed bodies to play the brutal sport, but even that rule should be examined on a case by case basis somebody like Jadeveon Clowney should be allowed to enter the NFL after 2 years, but I understand that rule. The NBA has no reason for the one and done rule now you see this injury to Noel and hope it doesn't hurt his NBA stock. If the NBA wanted more developed players entering the league then negotiate a better process for kids entering the league. The NHL and MLB have WAY better processes than the NBA in the NHL kids are drafted at 18 years and if they go to college then the NHL teams retain the kids rights while they stay in college and when they want to go pro the team that drafted them has 1 year to sign them or they reenter the draft this would be a better way to do the process or the NBA could go the MLB way and have the draft and the kid can either sign with the team that drafts or if they decline to sign with the team out of high school then the kid has to wait 3 years to re-enter the draft. Either of these processes would be better than the 1 and done rule, but it takes freak injuries like last night to get the discussion rolling.

I agree, even though this is the first major injury to a potential #1 since they put the rule in.

One of the other reasons they put this rule in was to protect veterans. So many youngsters were putting their names in that you had teams opening roster spots for unproven HS kids and kicking older players to the curb. There was no D league early on.

The one really good thing about the rule is that it forces the marginal Elite HS players from screwing themselves out of the collegiate opportunity. At one time it seemed like HS kids were entering the draft as a way to show off to their buddies. Some had ZERO chance of being drafted, but they signed with an agent and ruined their chances of a back-up plan. Forcing these types of players into the college game (Paul Harris) gave them a chance to realize their shortcomings and work on them rather than being the next Kwame Brown. Nothing could be worse than getting to the NBA and then having the GM's and coaches realize that you are too raw, even for them.

I agree, even though this is the first major injury to a potential #1 since they put the rule in.

One of the other reasons they put this rule in was to protect veterans. So many youngsters were putting their names in that you had teams opening roster spots for unproven HS kids and kicking older players to the curb. There was no D league early on.

The one really good thing about the rule is that it forces the marginal Elite HS players from screwing themselves out of the collegiate opportunity. At one time it seemed like HS kids were entering the draft as a way to show off to their buddies. Some had ZERO chance of being drafted, but they signed with an agent and ruined their chances of a back-up plan. Forcing these types of players into the college game (Paul Harris) gave them a chance to realize their shortcomings and work on them rather than being the next Kwame Brown. Nothing could be worse than getting to the NBA and then having the GM's and coaches realize that you are too raw, even for them.
And now you can point a finger at the NCAA. Once a kid makes almost any movement to turn pro, he loses his amature status and not allowed to play in college. Sports is the only field where kid can't receive money for his endevors and still continue to get finical aide to attend college for the exact same thing. How many kid in that maching band on the field get a scholarship but yet play proefessionaly in a band? How many computer science kids work for their local computer repair shop and still get a scholarship. Hell, half the kids probably get the job through the school! What do you think co-oping is. Getting paid for exerience in your field. The NCAA could definitly move towards more liberal defination of amature.

I don't understand how the NBAPA thinks a 1 and done rule is good for them. These kids should have the right to entire the NBA after high school just like they can in hockey and baseball. I understand the NFL's rule as they want men to have more developed bodies to play the brutal sport, but even that rule should be examined on a case by case basis somebody like Jadeveon Clowney should be allowed to enter the NFL after 2 years, but I understand that rule. The NBA has no reason for the one and done rule now you see this injury to Noel and hope it doesn't hurt his NBA stock. If the NBA wanted more developed players entering the league then negotiate a better process for kids entering the league. The NHL and MLB have WAY better processes than the NBA in the NHL kids are drafted at 18 years and if they go to college then the NHL teams retain the kids rights while they stay in college and when they want to go pro the team that drafted them has 1 year to sign them or they reenter the draft this would be a better way to do the process or the NBA could go the MLB way and have the draft and the kid can either sign with the team that drafts or if they decline to sign with the team out of high school then the kid has to wait 3 years to re-enter the draft. Either of these processes would be better than the 1 and done rule, but it takes freak injuries like last night to get the discussion rolling.

The NFL rule is about free training and culling the pretenders from the herd: nothing more. The rest is PR and justification for the rule. You can risk your life and health in many public service and private sector jobs at 18, but its too risky to play football. I call BS.

My guess is the NBAPA doesn't care all that much, since the people in the players association, by definition, are already in the NBA.

It's good for the game as a whole because guys go to school for a year and build up a following and buzz before they hit the league. Kevin Durant was a much bigger star because he went to school for a year and everyone knew who he was than he would've been if he skipped college. Now, I'm not saying that's better for KD, but for the league, it makes total sense.

The rule was put in to allow GM's to scout kids against better competition and to see how they respond to real coaching (not AAU ball) the players union never liked the rule but weren't/aren't willing trade minimum guaranteed money for Vets for the rights of kids who are not in the union yet. My issue is with the NCAA and the Universities. The Fact is these kids generate way too much money to be considered amateurs. The whole thing is a farce the kids are generating 100s of millions of dollars but a probe is lunched to see how his trip to VISIT THE SCHOOL WAS PAID FOR! The school should paid every single penny for that trip and if kid whats to visit 20 schools? 20 schools should pay for it! Kentucky has ALREADY MADE MILLIONS off of Noel and 2 months from now everyone will be talking about next year's class and Noel will be learning how to walk again!

Absolutely. It should be like baseball (or hockey as was posted upthread). Either you're drafted out of high school or you go to college for a minimum of 3 years. Additionally, as a high school senior, you can be entered in the draft, go to combines, talk with an agent, be drafted, and negotiate a contract. But until you sign the contract you're an amateur. Baseball players do this all of the time and no one has a conniption about how it ruins the sport or whatever. Gerrit Cole was drafted by the Yankees as a HS senior late in the 1st round. He declined to sign, went to USC, and was the overall #1 three years later. And doubled his money.

I think your getting the sides confused here and that this is part of the CBA.

Its not the NBA PA that is fighting for the one and done instead of earlier entry. It is part of a negotiated settlement.

NBA wants players to stay in the NCAA as long as possible, and this is the compromise. NBA wants players to develop for free, to reduce draft uncertainty, and to get free and better marketing for its rooks before they even step in the league.

David Stern can't just decide to change the draft rules tomorrow as much as he wants -- he will have to give something to the players in exchange.

This goes both ways...before the one and done rule came into effect there were kids to come out and go pro and just FLOP...I think it's a great rule, what if DC2 decided to go pro? College is basically a measuring stick for high school kids. They need to know how good they are.

What If Blatche went to college for a year and he was able to better his draft stock...he couldve been a first round pick, maybe even lottery.
There was another kid I remember, his name was Ndudi Ebi...he flopped pretty much after committing to Zona.

Injuries occur in every sport, it comes with the territory.

The NFL rule is about free training and culling the pretenders from the herd: nothing more. The rest is PR and justification for the rule. You can risk your life and health in many public service and private sector jobs at 18, but its too risky to play football. I call BS.

The speed and strength of NFL players is completely off the charts compared to HS. In addition the NFL has no minor league to shove players who aren't ready yet. No NFL team is going to draft a HS kid. In fact it's an insane rarity to see a college sophomore dominating to the point that Clowney is. Clowney is probably the first guy in 5 years to be NFL ready, both in body type and production when he entered his sophomore year of College. So that argument doesn't really hold that we are preventing guys who are ready from making the jump.

Absolutely. It should be like baseball (or hockey as was posted upthread). Either you're drafted out of high school or you go to college for a minimum of 3 years. Additionally, as a high school senior, you can be entered in the draft, go to combines, talk with an agent, be drafted, and negotiate a contract. But until you sign the contract you're an amateur. Baseball players do this all of the time and no one has a conniption about how it ruins the sport or whatever. Gerrit Cole was drafted by the Yankees as a HS senior late in the 1st round. He declined to sign, went to USC, and was the overall #1 three years later. And doubled his money.

For this to happen the NBA would need a real minor league system like baseballs. Right now there are only 12 D-league teams and 30 NBA teams and why do that when the college does it for free.

The speed and strength of NFL players is completely off the charts compared to HS. In addition the NFL has no minor league to shove players who aren't ready yet. No NFL team is going to draft a HS kid. In fact it's an insane rarity to see a college sophomore dominating to the point that Clowney is. Clowney is probably the first guy in 5 years to be NFL ready, both in body type and production when he entered his sophomore year of College. So that argument doesn't really hold that we are preventing guys who are ready from making the jump.
Having the ability to declare for the draft is far different from being drafted or even signed.

Sent from my Vortex using Tapatalk 2

Lebron James could have been drafted #1 after his junior year of high school. What if he had got severely hurt as a high school senior? The NBA is forcing him to stay in high school for one extra year. Totally outrageous and unfair!!!

Join the petition today. Let high school juniors enter the draft if they want.

Lebron James could have been drafted #1 after his junior year of high school. What is he had got severely hurt as a high school senior? The NBA is forcing him to stay in high school for one extra year.

Well you could probably make the argument that Lebron was 17 as a high school junior, so not legally an adult, but he was 18 by the time he was a high school senior so he should have the right to make that decision.

What amazes me is that the NBA created this mess, with their huge expansion. From 88 - 95 they went from 23 to 29 teams, basically increasing the number of players by 25%, or 72 players. Adding Charlotte in 2004 that's another bunch. The players had to come from somewhere, so naturally after few guys hung on longer than they should have, they started dipping more and more into the college ranks. This basically made it so the best HS player by default was one of the top draftable players, especially with another 7 1st round guaranteed contracts.

It is what is, but then the NBA suddenly says "we can't have these young players entering the league so soon, and we don't want our scouts in the HS gyms", which leads to the one-and done rule. Where did they think the NBA talent was going to come from??

Just a mini-rant...the NBA creates this problem, then complains that the players are too young, without thinking they would have to tap into the younger talent pool. Before, if a player was good enough to go pro out of HS he could have gone, but the league was much harder to be drafted into, so it was very rare. I believe the expansion from 88-95 is what started clearing out the college talent pool, allowing Garnett and Bryant to go in 95/96.

Lebron James could have been drafted #1 after his junior year of high school. What if he had got severely hurt as a high school senior? The NBA is forcing him to stay in high school for one extra year. Totally outrageous and unfair!!!

images

The major difference here is that MLB and NHL both have well developed minor leagues that can be used to support the type of system where a player can come right out of high school and be inserted into their system. The NBDL in comparison is a joke. The NBA owners don't want to front the money so that each pro team has its own single dedicated affiliated minor league team, or better yet tiers of teams like MLB or NHL, so that a player can be gradually developed against increasingly better competition. So it's not an apples to apples type of comparison. Simply put, the NBA benefits from free player development at the college level and they don't want to spend the money to put the infrastructure in place to do their own development.

Mason

I don't understand how the MLB process is any more fair to kids -- its fair to MLB, but they can also handle it due to their minor league systems which develop kids better than the NCAA. How someone can crusade against the NBA model as being unfair to kids and say the MLB model is better for kids is beyond me.

What if someone's draft position and marketability increases significantly as a freshmen -- a young pitcher. He now has to risk his arm to injury for two more to years. How is that any more fair to the player? Just because the guy developed as a stud prospect one year later he is going to get punished by two more years?

I don't understand how the MLB process is any more fair to kids -- its fair to MLB, but they can also handle it due to their minor league systems which develop kids better than the NCAA. How someone can crusade against the NBA model as being unfair to kids and say the MLB model is better for kids is beyond me.

What if someone's draft position and marketability increases significantly as a freshmen -- a young pitcher. He now has to risk his arm to injury for two more to years. How is that any more fair to the player? Just because the guy developed as a stud prospect one year later he is going to get punished by two more years?

In the MLB model kids get to choose to go to work now or provide free labor in the hopes of making more money later, while the NBA model is FORCING kids to provide free labor with no hope of making more money than if they joined to work force right out of high school.

In the MLB model kids get to choose to go to work now or provide free labor in the hopes of making more money later, while the NBA model is FORCING kids to provide free labor with no hope of making more money than if they joined to work force right out of high school.

I don't want to come across as a NBA martyr -- I don't find either is particularly fair however. And find the MLB model more risky due to pitcher's injury risk (very high)

I don't want to come across as a NBA martyr -- I don't find either is particularly fair however. And find the MLB model more risky due to pitcher's injury risk (very high)

I don't think the % of injury is the issue at least it is not the issue for me, but it is economics. If given the chose to go pro or go to college and Noel chose college got hurt and lowered his draft stock that is one thing, but when the chose has been taking from him because it is in the best economic interest of others it is very upsetting.

kid could have been hit by a bus-is that the ncaa's fault-

if and when the money starts to flow-the game will be dead- no more little guys with a chance-just the bigs

these kids know what they signed up for- and they can get insurance or at least used too

kid could have been hit by a bus-is that the ncaa's fault-

if and when the money starts to flow-the game will be dead- no more little guys with a chance-just the bigs

these kids know what they signed up for- and they can get insurance or at least used too
insurance is not free...

The minor league argument is a joke the NBA has the NBDL now so if a team drafted Michael Carter Williams as a HS he could go play Maine Red Claws or whatever NBA team's minor league was and get professional coaching to the system of their NBA team. The 1 and done rule isn't protecting veterans that is a joke there are only 60 draft picks every year no more with HS kids in the draft, its basically a free year of scouting for NBA teams which doesn't do anything for fans. How many rookies contribute greatly their rookie year? 5-10 maybe? If the NBA and NBAPA negotiated a system similar to baseball or hockey the sport would be better. Instead of hiring an agent you would hire an "adviser" and keep your college eligibility. I like the hockey rule your draft eligible at 18 and the team that drafts you retains your rights. So if your Nerlens Noel you get drafted last year by the Charlotte Bobcats and if you decide you want to go to Kentucky then you can go Kentucky and the Bobcats retain your rights when you are ready to begin your professional career. If you don't like this then go with the baseball rule and allow NBA teams to "pay" for travel costs for all draft eligible prospects and don't have them hire agents, but have advisers and if you get drafted and don't sign with the team you can't re-enter for 3 years, and the kid can go play overseas, NBDL, or college and develop their game a lot better.

I think your getting the sides confused here and that this is part of the CBA.

Its not the NBA PA that is fighting for the one and done instead of earlier entry. It is part of a negotiated settlement.

NBA wants players to stay in the NCAA as long as possible, and this is the compromise. NBA wants players to develop for free, to reduce draft uncertainty, and to get free and better marketing for its rooks before they even step in the league.

David Stern can't just decide to change the draft rules tomorrow as much as he wants -- he will have to give something to the players in exchange.
Basically the NBAPA sold out 18 year old men's right to make money so the veteran's minimum could go up a couple hundred thousand? All we need is for Lebron James and Kobe Bryant to come out and talk about this rule and the NBAPA would back down. They committed a mistake, but your right its collectively bargained and can't be undone easily. The NBA- and NBAPA should come together and embrace the NBDL have 30 teams make them all located near their parent clubs and it would help professional basketball.