Nerlens Noel | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Nerlens Noel

"
Dude, quit with the condescending "dumb post" remark.

Of course circumstances were different. Can you identify identical circumstances to compare players, regardless of time gaps?

Again, I never said he was Davis, at least not yet. But he's much much better than you give him credit for.

He is? I don't think he's looked like the #1 recruit in a class--he's basically gotten his butt kicked in the first two games he's played, against two quality big guys [not counting the Lafayette game]. He performed much better in the Duke game than he did in the Maryland game, but I don't understand the basis for your opinion--he looked okay, nothing more.

Also, apologies for the "dumb post" remark, Poppy, totally unintentional--pretty excited over here after the football win, was typing fast, didn't mean anything by it.

He is? I don't think he's looked like the #1 recruit in a class--he's basically gotten his butt kicked in the first two games he's played, against two quality big guys [not counting the Lafayette game]. He performed much better in the Duke game than he did in the Maryland game, but I don't understand the basis for your opinion--he looked okay, nothing more.

Also, apologies for the "dumb post" remark, Poppy, totally unintentional--pretty excited over here after the football win, was typing fast, didn't mean anything by it.

Well, I'm basing my opinion on all three of his regular season games. Perhaps you should watch this, though I doubt it will change any of your opinions. I think he makes two plays at the 2 minute mark that are quite impressive. And I didn't say he looked the absolute best, or "like the #1 recruit", just that he's better than he's being given cresit for. He's being treated like dog meat.

"
Dude, quit with the condescending "dumb post" remark.

Of course circumstances were different. Can you identify identical circumstances to compare players, regardless of time gaps?

Again, I never said he was Davis, at least not yet. But he's much much better than you give him credit for.
Fwiw I think you are very right and certain other posters in this thread are very crazy.

Well, I'm basing my opinion on all three of his regular season games. Perhaps you should watch this, though I doubt it will change any of your opinions. I think he makes two plays at the 2 minute mark that are quite impressive. And I didn't say he looked the absolute best, or "like the #1 recruit", just that he's better than he's being given cresit for. He's being treated like dog meat.

Not only was Noel identifed by some as the #1 recruit, but he also was identified as the likely #1 pick in the 2013 draft. I'm not saying that you specifically said those things, but that is the basis for comparing him against those benchmarks. He's been okay--but he hasn't exactly lived up to that hype.

Here's the bottom line: I don't know that Noel would have been a substantive upgrade over our current inside players [again, not an indictment about his potential]. Would he prove to be a better low post scorer / rebounder than Coleman? A better shotblocker than Rak? Perhaps, but far from a sure thing.

Fwiw I think you are very right and certain other posters in this thread are very crazy.

Fwiw, I thought you were crazy with 99% of your posts on the football forum. Turns out I was right.

I've never understood your deep rooted need to defend any player criticized here who isn't part of the SU program.

Not only was Noel identifed by some as the #1 recruit, but he also was identified as the likely #1 pick in the 2013 draft. I'm not saying that you specifically said those things, but that is the basis for comparing him against those benchmarks.

Here's the bottom line: I don't know that Noel would have been a substantive upgrade over our current inside players [again, not an indictment about his potential]. Would he prove to be a better low post scorer / rebounder than Coleman? A better shotblocker than Rak? Perhaps, but far from a sure thing.

I guess I just don't see the need to truly hate anybody, unless they play for the Red Sox or Man United, or are named Tiger Woods.

I guess I just don't see the need to truly hate anybody, unless they play for the Red Sox or Man United, or are named Tiger Woods.

I don't "hate" Noel, I just objectively see him for what he is--a tremendous athlete with solid physical tools, who plays like an athlete runner / rejector but doesn't have much of a post up game or any offensive skill to speak of. As I've stated repeatedly in this thread, that doesn't mean that he won't improve, that he doesn't have upside, that he won't have a good NBA career, or anything along those lines.

The question earlier was whether he would help us THIS YEAR--and my perspective is that he probably wouldn't be much of a substantive upgrade, given the frontcourt players we already have.

Please note, that isn't a knock on Noel. I hope he goes on to great things [post UK--because I will never root for him to succeed there]. But it seems to me like a lot of people are basing their expectation on the fact that he was designated the #1 recruit. Perhaps he'll live up to that hype, maybe he won't. At the very least, he's got big shoes to fill.

Fwiw, I thought you were crazy with 99% of your posts on the football forum. Turns out I was right.
? You are confusing me with the other guy from Boston again. I did post once that I didn't think Marrone was the guy so maybe you are talking about that - hope I was wrong on that one maybe I was. That one I probably should have kept to myself though I am still . As far as Noel...we shall see.

? You are confusing me with the other guy from Boston again. I did post once that I didn't think Marrone was the guy so maybe you are talking about that - hope I was wrong on that one maybe I was. That one I probably should have kept to myself though I am still . As far as Noel...we shall see.

You might be right--if so, apologies! : )

I don't "hate" Noel, I just objectively see him for what he is--a tremendous athlete with solid physical tools, who plays like an athlete runner / rejector but doesn't have much of a post up game or any offensive skill to speak of. As I've stated repeatedly in this thread, that doesn't mean that he won't improve, that he doesn't have upside, that he won't have a good NBA career, or anything along those lines.

The question earlier was whether he would help us THIS YEAR--and my perspective is that he probably wouldn't be much of a substantive upgrade, given the frontcourt players we already have.

Please note, that isn't a knock on Noel. I hope he goes on to great things [post UK--because I will never root for him to succeed there]. But it seems to me like a lot of people are basing their expectation on the fact that he was designated the #1 recruit. Perhaps he'll live up to that hype, maybe he won't. At the very least, he's got big shoes to fill.
I'm just a little confused about what your expectations were - he had what 16 pts 8 rbs 4 blocks or something like that in his 2nd collegiate game against duke right?? Isn't that pretty dam good?

You might be right--if so, apologies! : )
I think it is fair to say you have been a little more bullish on Marrone and Nassib than I have been - but I was never a hater like that other guy. I am very happy to have underrated Nassib...his improvement, particular in feeling pressure, has been remarkable. Wish he had one more year... Noel based on what I've seen is pretty damn good - his best skill is that he is basically ambidextrous. Maybe not A Davis but few are...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom