Net Points, etc. for Colgate | Syracusefan.com

Net Points, etc. for Colgate

SWC75

Bored Historian
I’ve added so many things to my post-game “Net Points” posts over the years that it’s become a very long post to read and a longer one to do. I’ve decided to have separate posts for the numbers for a particular game and for the cumulative season totals. It’s the later that takes most of the time and lengthens the post so much. There was too much verbiage and too many numbers.

I’m still going to figure the season totals but I’ll post them at three different stages of the season: after the pre-conference schedule, after the conference schedule and after the post season. In the meantime, I’ll go with this stream-lined version of “Net Points, etc.” after each game, with numbers and commentary only for that game. That should make it both quicker to do and more digestible.

Net Points
(points + rebounds + assists + steals + blocks minus missed field goals and free throws, turnovers and personal fouls)

Franklin Howard 23
John Gillon 17
Tyler Roberson 15
Andrew White 14
DaJuan Coleman 9
Tyler Lydon 8
Paschal Chukwu 3
Taurean Thompson 3
Tyus Battle -1

Awards

Offensive Dude of the Game, (O-Dog)
(Points plus assists)

Franklin Howard 20

Individual Offensive Efficiency
(Points minus field goal and free throw attempts)

Tyler Roberson 14

Sat Us Down
(Who scored the first SU basket of each half)

1st Half – Tyler Roberson with a dunk at 19:44
2nd Half – Andrew White with a 3 pointer at 19:27

TACO Bell MVP
(Who scored the point that got us to 70, which gets you free tacos with your ticket stub)

Taurean Thompson who sunk a free throw at 9:20

My Man
(Who played the most minutes)

Andrew White played 29 minutes

Team Stats:

POSSESSION

Rebounding
(Add each team’s offensive rebounds to their opponent’s defensive rebounds. Then figure the offensive rebounds as a percentage of that)

We rebounded 13 of our 34 misses = 38.2%
They rebounded 19 of their 52 misses = 36.5%

Effective Offensive Rebounding
(Divide second chance points by the offensive rebounds)

We got 7 points on 13 O-Rebs = 0.54 points
They got 7 points on 19 O-Rebs = 0.37 points

Turnovers
(Total turnovers – the other team’s steals = unforced turnovers)

We had 11 turnovers – 6 steals = 7 unforced
They had 14 turnovers – 10 steals = 4 unforced

Points from Turnovers
(Points off turnovers divided by the number of turnovers the other team had)

We had 12 points from 14 turnovers = 0.86 points
They had 14 points from 11 turnovers = 1.27 points

Manufactured Possessions
(One teams rebounds + the other team’s turnovers)

We had 46 + 14 = 60
They had 40 + 11 = 51

Scoring

Shooting
(shots made and attempted and the percentage for two point goal attempts, three point attempts and free throws)

We were 27 for 42 on twos, (.643), 7 of 20 on threes (.350) and 8 for 19 on frees (.421)
They were 12 for 27 on twos (.444), 6 for 37 on threes (.162) and 13 for 21 on frees (.619)

(PIP= points in the paint, POP = points outside the paint, which is total points – PIP –free throws made, TREY: points from three point shots, TZ= Twilight Zone, which is POP – TREY, two point jumpers from outside the paint, FBP = fast break points)

We had 48 PIP, 27 POP, 18 TREY, 6 TZ, 6 FBP
They had 20 PIP, 22 POP, 21 TREY, 12 TZ, 4 FBP

First Chance/Second Chance
(FCP is First Chance Points, which is total points - second chance points – fast break points – free throws made, courtesy of Pat. SCP is second chance points.)

We had 45 FCP and 7 SCP
They had 35 FCP and 7 SCP

Starters/Bench
(Total points – bench points = starters points)

Our starters scored 54 points and our bench scored 29 points
Their starters scored 39 points and their bench scored 16 points

Assists
(The percentage of a team’s baskets that were assisted)

We assisted 23 of our 34 field goals, 67.6%
They assisted 17 of their 18 field goals 94.4%

Team Offensive Efficiency
(Possessions: Field goals attempted - offensive rebounds + turnovers + 47.5% of free throws attempted. Efficiency is total points divided by possessions)

We scored 83 points in 69 possessions = 1.202 points/possession
They scored 55 points in 69 possessions = 0.797 points/ possession
It was a 128 possession game

Breakdown by Quarters
(Points scored between the beginning of the game and the 10 minute mark of the first half, then halftime, then the 10 minute mark of the second half, the end of regulation and then overtime of there was one)

22-15, 27-10, 20-13, 14-17

FOULS
(Two point shots, points in paint and free throws attempted per times fouled.)

We attempted 42 two point shots, scored 48 points in the paint, attempted 19 free throws and were fouled 22 times = 1.91, 2.18, 0.86
They attempted 27 two point shots, scored 20 points in the paint, attempted 21 free throws and were fouled 20 times = 1.35, 1.00, 1.05

Comments:

- Paschal Chukwu was 0 for 6 from the free throw line. Oh. For. Six. But he did enough good things to have +3NP.

- Colgate Had 19 offensive rebounds, quite a lot. But they missed 36 shots, including 31 three pointers, which tend to bound out farther so smaller players can get them.

- We were the running team but Colgate scored 14 points off our 11 turnovers while we scored 12 points off of 14 turnovers.

- Colgate had 17 assists in 18 made shots. Jump shots get credit for assists more than passes toward the basket.

One correction, (past time to edit):

We had 11 turnovers – 4 steals = 7 unforced

Just a possible correction. Wasn't it a 138 possession game? 69+69? Love the work by the way fun for nerds like me to contemplate.

I like this new format much better. Admittedly I have a short attention span but the other format was a lot for me to take in and I wasn't paying as much attention to the posts as I used to.

Just a possible correction. Wasn't it a 138 possession game? 69+69? Love the work by the way fun for nerds like me to contemplate.

Yup, that too.

(I just make the occassional mistake to see if anybody is paying attention :rolleyes:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom