New Assistant: Brenden Straughn [Now confirmed] | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

New Assistant: Brenden Straughn [Now confirmed]

Seems like exactly the assistant coach we need. Red’s off to a great start in his first week so far. Love to see us focusing on the Philly/DMV recruiting expertise. It’s been our lifeblood and will need to be at the foundation of how the program is rebuilt to national prominence.

Love what I’m seeing. Excited about the future of SU basketball under Red.

Seems like exactly the assistant coach we need. Red’s off to a great start in his first week so far. Love to see us focusing on the Philly/DMV recruiting expertise. It’s been our lifeblood and will need to be at the foundation of how the program is rebuilt to national prominence.

Love what I’m seeing. Excited about the future of SU basketball under Red.

All signs point to him having a pretty solid plan of attack once getting the keys. Won't set any unrealistic expectations but so far loving everything we have heard, seen and read about to date. Very bullish on the Red era of SU hoops..

Based on what was posted above, it appears this guy was always an assistant coach. Not very familiar with the AAU circuit. But is it concerning at all that this guy was never a head coach in AAU or high school? Am I reading that correctly?

As long as he recruits the stuff out of the DMV and Philly, we good. I just am surprised this guy made it this far after just being an assistant coach. Usually it’s head coach in AAU or high school to assistant in college. You usually were the head coach somewhere. Very inexperienced bench. I am a little surprised by that.
???? Why would we care if he was a Head Coach anywhere? We are hiring him to be an ass't coach. A recruiter. He has that in spades.

Red appears to be a straight shooter as coach; probably learned that from JB.

I’m loving his moves so far. In his prior interview, he stressed the importance of “fit” for the new assistant coach. Since he has a pre-existing relationship through team takeover, this appears to be the case.

Looks good. Knows a ton of the right people. Only possible negative (for some) is that he was another guard (5'10"). Is that too short?

https://ucf./news/who-these-guys-are-brendan-straughn

Plus, did they overlap / know each other from Team Takeover?

I’m sure Red at least knows him from when Straughn coached at Take Over and Eleanor Roosevelt. Those were Reds first 4-5 years here. I’m sure we watched or recruited some of his players. They just never coached together.

What a great start for Coach Red. We now have the tri-state and DMV area covered. We are on the path to the resurrection of our once prestigious program. I don't see us missing out anymore on the upstate/backyard hotshots who should mostly be a lock (Starling, T. Bryant, Huerter, Isaiah Stewart, Andre Jackson etc.). Griffen and Red are NYC public and catholic school products and we need to dominate and be the go to school for the top guys in those leagues. Both have reach into the DMV along with the new assistant. The DMV is watching and our success with Mintz is a plus. Hopefully, under Red we can get Benny going. Something in the air, I can feel it!

I’m sure Red at least knows him from when Straughn coached at Take Over and Eleanor Roosevelt. Those were Reds first 4-5 years here. I’m sure we watched or recruited some of his players. They just never coached together.
I wonder who Trey's lead recruiter was for GW?

???? Why would we care if he was a Head Coach anywhere? We are hiring him to be an ass't coach. A recruiter. He has that in spades.

It was a simple question. I never said it wasn’t a good hire. I was more surprised he never had any head coaching experience. That is not the USUAL career ladder.

Bottom line, it’s easier to coach talent than non talent. So getting the talent is priority number 1. To my point that as long as he recruits the heck out of DMV and Philly I don’t care about anything else. Which I also mentioned in my post, which was ignored.

Priority number 2 is coaching the talent. And I may be mistaken but we now have 4 coaches, and I don’t believe any of them have ever been a head coach before. Think that is a little startling. That was one of the reasons I was not too keen on keeping both assistants. We need a stud recruiter and a previous experienced bench coach that red can throw ideas off. Yes he coached beside Jim. But on game days he didn’t appear to have much of a roll like all the other coaches. Sometimes you need guys that have been there and done that to remind you of things you don’t think of as the game is progressing.

Our recruiting just took a shot of 3000 volts straight to the heart. Starting to pump again.

With Red as the Closer and Straughn as the Head Hunter only the sky is the limit.

I have all the faith in the world in our new coaching staff.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sdot

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom