New Assistant: Dan Engelstad [Official] | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

New Assistant: Dan Engelstad [Official]

Why is that true? Do you know that?

They were only in the MAAC the last two years. The prior 4 years in the NEC, they were average at best. 6-12, 7-11, 9-7, 9-7.

He inherited a good job and for the NEC, it is a good job. A lot of fan support for that league. Good recruiting area. Jamion Christian had won 20 games, 5 of 6 years with 10+ league wins. From there he got Siena (paid better), then went to GW. Flamed out there. Milan Brown also did well and got Holy Cross (better paying job as well).

Mount is a stepping stone job, but this guy didn't knock it out of the park. Different era, sure, but the playing field is a lot more even in the NEC/MAAC.

We'll see. I don't get this one.
I mean if we don't get Leffew yeah it looks bad. But simply hiring the guy that delivers your starting point guard makes it a great hire alone even if the rest is lacking. Leffew has big time offers and was probably headed to IU.

We get a plug and play 5th year senior PG and his former coach so someone who can assert some control over the PG position and the team.

You think we should have passed on him for someone with more recruiting 'potential' or better AAU hype or connections? He seems to be solid in that area too and now gets to recruit for a bigger school. Its not like he was fired either. He's probably leaving because the school couldn't handle going up in conference its not entirely on him.

I think I can connect a few dots (and make a few educated guesses) about this hire.

We lose our assistant who works with the guards ... This guy turned two guards from low D1 guys into high major guys, so he seems to be able to recruit/develop guards.

We have a team of guys who can score but struggle to defend, but there are some tools to work with as far as size and athleticism ... this guy's teams have very good defensive records (for Mount St Mary's level).

I'm guessing Red thinks teaching D is going to be very important, knows the kind of D he wants to play, and went out and got a guy who is well respected for being a great teacher of that D. Being able to recruit/develop guards I'm sure is important too.

I'm excited to watch a few Mount St Mary's games now and see what kind of D they are playing.

I'm obviously being naive here but we're talking about a sport where you only have five guys playing at one time. How can someone who is middle aged and has played or coached their entire life, need help with X's and O's?

I'm obviously being naive here but we're talking about a sport where you only have five guys playing at one time. How can someone who is middle aged and has played or coached their entire life, need help with X's and O's?

I'm sure Red doesn't need help understanding X's and O's he needs help teaching it to the kids. It's really not a simple thing. In every game there are thousands of small decisions that need to be made, and these kids need to he able to make the right ones at lightning speed. Even the best pros make several mistakes a game. These kids are young and still learning, they need someone in their ear constantly explaining how to recognize what to do, and do it quick. That's why every team has a staff of coaches and nobody tries to coach a team all by himself.

Well, that is what Brenden was for. We should already have the DMV. I have to say, I am surprised.
Agree. Would have liked to see a hire who could expand recruiting ties to a new area.

Do his teams play the style on offense or defense (or both) that Red wants to play? If so, he can help teach and develop guys for that system? I have no idea what his teams played.

We lose the coach that develops guard play. Does he have a track record of developing guards? Certainly Leffew and Montgomery.

I'm sure Red doesn't need help understanding X's and O's he needs help teaching it to the kids. It's really not a simple thing. In every game there are thousands of small decisions that need to be made, and these kids need to he able to make the right ones at lightning speed. Even the best pros make several mistakes a game. These kids are young and still learning, they need someone in their ear constantly explaining how to recognize what to do, and do it quick. That's why every team has a staff of coaches and nobody tries to coach a team all by himself.
Teaching is certainly an important skill an assistant should bring to the table. Folks are always referencing how a HC may need help with Xs and O's. I take that to mean a particular HC lacks some understanding as opposed to an ability to teach.

De'Shayne Montgomery is a 6'4 lefty guard originally from the state of Florida (and did a post grad year in Virginia) who was named Rookie of the Year in the MAAC for Mount St. Mary's this past season. He was already in the portal before the Engelstad to Cuse news. His final 4 portal schools are USC, UGA, Ole Miss, and Mississippi St. Maybe the coach/Cuse news changes his portal list, but maybe not with us already having JJ starting at the 2 and Choppa coming off the bench. This kid is moving up levels and likely would want to start/play.

I don’t know anything about this coach, but the coaches need to develop the recipe to get back to ncaa in this new world where we have a new team every year. we don’t have 2 years because next year is likely to be a brand new team with new faces. They have to bring in and then coach up impact players. No more projects, no more tall long skinny beanpole dudes who are one dimensional

Last edited:
If youre winning at lower levels of competition then you have a good eye for diamonds in the rough, talent or skilled at development and motivation. In other words, you can see winners in the crowd. I like this hire.. sometimes the difference between D1 and D2/D3 is something physically out of a player's control. Tons of kids out there with D1 skills but a D2/3 athleticism.

It’s instinctual to focus on the questions, like why does the staff need so many DMV guys, why not someone with more high-major experience, etc. Not saying those questions aren’t valid but I’m gonna try to wait before reacting.
The problem is we’ve been waiting 10 years to be rewarded with faith, hope, and trust. 10 years seems like 84.

so we get an assistant with head coaching experience who has strong recruiting ties to DMV? Sign me up. Some of these responses are laughable. Lets see what happens before we play Monday morning quarterback which happens too many times on this board.

Mount St. Mary's KenPom ranks

2024: 246 off 228 def
2023: 325 off 197 def
2022: 301 off 170 def
2021: 301 off 150 def
2020: 281 off 283 def
2019: 326 off 282 def

His best record was 12-11.

I don’t really care and will wait and see, but that track record is tragic.

But he’s an assistant, whatever.

Getting an actual head coach instead of an assistant is 100x better in my mind. It’s just another pro who knows how to help operate and run a program. There’s so much on the coaching staff to handle and manage behind the scenes on top of their coaching duties and Dan will help with so many things that I don’t think a regular assistant would be as effective with. There is zero downside to this hire

Getting an actual head coach instead of an assistant is 100x better in my mind. It’s just another pro who knows how to help operate and run a program. There’s so much on the coaching staff to handle and manage behind the scenes on top of their coaching duties and Dan will help with so many things that I don’t think a regular assistant would be as effective with. There is zero downside to this hire
Will Red pull the trigger on a summer trip? Seems like an excellent off-season for it.

Mount St. Mary's KenPom ranks

2024: 246 off 228 def
2023: 325 off 197 def
2022: 301 off 170 def
2021: 301 off 150 def
2020: 281 off 283 def
2019: 326 off 282 def

His best record was 12-11.
He coached in the NEC at first which was ranked 31 out of 33 conferences. It is where Lemoyne was placed in their first year of D1.

Having them almost .500 in conference in the MAAC is a feat in itself. That would be like Cornell jumping from the IVY to the Big East. I think he's going to help us tremendously on the defensive side of the ball.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom