New Assistant: Dan Engelstad [Official] | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

New Assistant: Dan Engelstad [Official]

So is Dan E. the new associate HC or does Griff get bumped up?

Soooo let’s put it this way. Anyone concerned about money within the Program. This should help calm down those concerns cause we just had to shell out money to get a HC to become an assistant. Thought things were looking good behind the scenes with Mack, and tbh everything that I was told yesterday looked promising for Cuse and I haven’t been told otherwise….butttttt we literally just hired Leffew‘s head coach so we 100% have a shoe in for Leffew. At this point I’m pretty confident in saying either Mack or Leffew will be running point on the hill next year with Starling as their backcourt mate. Both PGs are really good and I’d be very happy with both. Leffew has more size, experience and is probably a bit more polished. However Mack has the higher ceiling and more years he could be in the program. You choose and either is good

I am very much in the wait and see camp on the roster. I think Leffew will be a fine addition. Not sure I like this hire. We need a mix of recruiting prowess and X's and O's. This guys record as a head coach is bad, to put it mildly. Seems like an odd hire to me considering Straughn is already a DMV guy.

Well, that is what Brenden was for. We should already have the DMV. I have to say, I am surprised.
Never finishing better than 9-7 in six year in the NEC and MAAC doesn't exactly scream anything more than average coach, to me. If he was great with the Xs and Os and/or development you would expect a breakthrough in six years. And if he was a great recruiter you'd expect at least a season of out-talenting teams at that level.

It's much better than what I thought was the worst case scenario but it's a weird hire unless something is happening with Straughn.

Never finishing better than 9-7 in six year in the NEC and MAAC doesn't exactly scream anything more than average coach, to me. If he was great with the Xs and Os and/or development you would expect a breakthrough in six years. And if he was a great recruiter you'd expect at least a season of out-talenting teams at that level.

It's much better than what I thought was the worst case scenario but it's a weird hire unless something is happening with Straughn.
What exactly did you think was the worst case scenerio?

Any concern he is making the move because he wouldn't have made it much longer there? Not sure he needed a heavy salary to jump. His record is not very strong and his best year, (covid year) was just above 500. 12-11.

What exactly did you think was the worst case scenerio?
Prep assistant coach with little to no D1 experience or something along those lines.

Soooo let’s put it this way. Anyone concerned about money within the Program. This should help calm down those concerns cause we just had to shell out money to get a HC to become an assistant. Thought things were looking good behind the scenes with Mack, and tbh everything that I was told yesterday looked promising for Cuse and I haven’t been told otherwise….butttttt we literally just hired Leffew‘s head coach so we 100% have a shoe in for Leffew. At this point I’m pretty confident in saying either Mack or Leffew will be running point on the hill next year with Starling as their backcourt mate. Both PGs are really good and I’d be very happy with both. Leffew has more size, experience and is probably a bit more polished. However Mack has the higher ceiling and more years he could be in the program. You choose and either is good
Money spent by the university on a coach is completely separate from money that goes towards NIL for players. NIL is not associated with the university its what the collective can bring in.

Prep assistant coach with little to no D1 experience or something along those lines.
LOL I would perfer that guy. At least he would get us in to Montverde. And that isn't a bad thing. Plus, he was a very good defensive big man. Maybe he can coach that. I, and I don't think I am being unfair here, don't know what we are getting with this guy.

Doesn't seem like there's much creativity here, but maybe that's a good thing.

Pro: as a former HC, he can add that element of experience to the bench

Maybe Pro: another DMV area recruiter, but why? Wouldn't Philly or the SE been a better tie?

Who knows: doesn't seem like any juice or modernity is being added to the offensive or defensive scheme.

This just screams meh more than anything.

Inheriting a program that was 1–24 before he took over, Engelstad led the Mountaineers to a 16–10 overall record, including wins over a nationally ranked Williams featuring Duncan Robinson.[4]The following season, Engelstad guided Southern Vermont to a NECC regular season title, its best record in program history with a 25–4 record, and its first-ever appearance in the ECAC Division III New England Basketball tournament, capturing the school's first ECAC title of any kind.[5]

The following season, Southern Vermont won both the NECC regular season and tournament title with a perfect 16–0 mark in conference play, and a 24–4 overall record en route to the school's second-ever NCAA Tournament appearance.[6]Following a 17–10 overall record in the 2016–17 season and another NECC regular season title, Engelstad coached the Mountaineers to its fourth-straight NECC regular season title, its second conference tournament title and an appearance in the 2018 NCAA Division III tournament. With a 104–34 overall record in five seasons, Engelstad is the all-time wins leader in Southern Vermont basketball history

LOL I would perfer that guy. At least he would get us in to Montverde. And that isn't a bad thing. Plus, he was a very good defensive big man. Maybe he can coach that. I, and I don't think I am being unfair here, don't know what we are getting with this guy.
I wasn't talking about anyone specific LOL

Salary budget and NIL budget are two completely different things lol. They have 0 overlap with eachother

Maybe Red didn’t want an assistant solely for a recruiting pipeline as opposed to a seasoned HC who can help players develop.

Especially with the portal being arguably more important than your HS recruiting - I’m ok with passing on a guy jusy because he can connect us with a HS

I feel like everyone is just looking at what he's done at Mount St Mary's and dismissing his success he had prior. Guy has some solid experience coaching and has had success (as well as down years like just about every coach on the planet) what a tough crowd lately.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom