New Assistant | Page 10 | Syracusefan.com

New Assistant

Status
Not open for further replies.
No one from UConn is coming to Syracuse. And lets not get too carried away with their current success.
Yeah. It’s not like they’ve been better than us for longer periods than us, even when we were at our best. I’ll have what UConn is having, please.

No one from UConn is coming to Syracuse. And lets not get too carried away with their current success.
Carried away? The results speak for themselves. Like it or not, that is honestly going to be a very similar blueprint for Red I believe. In many ways, including incredibly nasty man-to-man defense. He will still mix in the zone. I think his style will also to a degree mimic Rick Patino's championship run at Louisville with his style of defense. As time goes by I am absolutely shocked that we won 20+ games with all of the drama this year. I think we are in good hands. My main concern is the climate of college sports in general. It is a shame

Carried away? The results speak for themselves. Like it or not, that is honestly going to be a very similar blueprint for Red I believe. In many ways, including incredibly nasty man-to-man defense. He will still mix in the zone. I think his style will also to a degree mimic Rick Patino's championship run at Louisville with his style of defense. As time goes by I am absolutely shocked that we won 20+ games with all of the drama this year. I think we are in good hands. My main concern is the climate of college sports in general. It is a shame
Don't let the climate bother you. I am old. I remmber the same talk about MLB back when free agency started. It will just become the new normal.

If Red didn't have a list of potential replacements ready to go, I'll very disappointed. (And I realize this is making an assumption and why I said IF)
I agree. And with the portal world picking up, I think we should have this hire sooner rather than later. But, I have been told by two different people in positions to know, that Red is in no hurry and doesn't see the need to make that hire quickly. I disagree.

Haha, I always appreciate your insight, and yes. Maybe there will be some sort of cap, built in protection so parity to a degree can remain. Otherwise, it will just be a paid farm system where state institutions/Bluebloods dominate to an even greater degree. I am sort of done......

I agree. And with the portal world picking up, I think we should have this hire sooner rather than later. But, I have been told by two different people in positions to know, that Red is in no hurry and doesn't see the need to make that hire quickly. I disagree.

Hmmm... The right hire would be an immediate asset on the recruiting trail.

I'd have to say I agree with that sentiment and hope that Red is actually moving on a hire now.

I mean, his top assistant was announced as a head coach at another program less than a week ago, not sure what some here are expecting.
That isn't what I am talking about. First, any good CEO has an idea that is top people are looking for a greener pasture. Gerry leaving was no surprise. And I have heard from not one but two people that Red wants to take his time on this hire. I wish he could move faster to help us this recruiting cycle.

That isn't what I am talking about. First, any good CEO has an idea that is top people are looking for a greener pasture. Gerry leaving was no surprise. And I have heard from not one but two people that Red wants to take his time on this hire. I wish he could move faster to help us this recruiting cycle.

I feel the entire program has run like this for the past decade. No real sense of urgency at all from anyone.

He must feel current recruiting priorities will be covered by him, Griff and Straughn. I’d rather have Red get the hire right than rush to fill the role and potentially make a mistake.

He must feel current recruiting priorities will be covered by him, Griff and Straughn. I’d rather have Red get the hire right than rush to fill the role and potentially make a mistake.
Of course. But don't you think he already has a good idea on who and what he wants? I would be disappointed if he didn't.

Oof…this is a big offseason for Red. He needs to make some big moves and quickly

I feel the entire program has run like this for the past decade. No real sense of urgency at all from anyone.

Attachments

• IMG_3398.jpeg
    IMG_3398.jpeg
    325.2 KB · Views: 20
Coaches convention is this weekend at the Final Four. I’m sure there will a lot of conversations. You never know who might come forward with interest in the job.
What would everyone think if Melo became Red’s choice.

Do you think Melo would even want to sniff this?

His son is a recruit so you have his son potentially become a player and his dad sitting on the bench as an assistant head coach?

Recruits looking in from the outside seeing Carmelo Anthony as the new assistant, (HC) coach.

I would think that that situation would be very good considering his career and his son may be playing.

Don’t you think that would attract really great players to come play for SU?

Who knows how Melo would be as a coach but for recruiting purposes that’s an A+ in my mind.

Back in the family with one of the best players ever in the NBA.

Of course. But don't you think he already has a good idea on who and what he wants? I would be disappointed if he didn't.
I wonder if part of the equation a bit is Griffin. Thought I read an insider (maybe Jake) suggest Griff could depart also. I could see if that was true, requiring Red to rethink potentially his approach. Maybe in that scenario for example he knows a guy who would be a bigman AHC and then that changes the name he was thinking about as an AHC replacing Gmac. Just spitballing.

I wonder if part of the equation a bit is Griffin. Thought I read an insider (maybe Jake) suggest Griff could depart also. I could see if that was true, requiring Red to rethink potentially his approach. Maybe in that scenario for example he knows a guy who would be a bigman AHC and then that changes the name he was thinking about as an AHC replacing Gmac. Just spitballing.
Griff is not going with Gerry to Siena. No one takes that kind of pay cut.

I like this. The talent coming out of Canada is just exploding. So many good players. And we have been a non factor since what, Quincy Guerrier?

We should have the DC and Philly area covered with Straughn,

We should have NYC covered with Griff and Adrian.

The most important area left is Canada. Especially the Toronto and Montreal areas. If Mike is a no go, find another guy with best connections and get him on board. ASAP. Please.
Tyler Ennis father? I'm kidding, but he was really plugged into the AAU scene in Toronto and Canada as a whole...Should leverage that relationship some way...

Heard he wants someone with a lot of experience. No clue

Oof…this is a big offseason for Red. He needs to make some big moves and quickly
No he doesn't need to do anything quickly. This is a huge hire he needs to get it right

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom