New Assistant | Page 11 | Syracusefan.com

New Assistant

Status
Not open for further replies.
Money had nothing to do with ERob coming to SU. HE AND coach Fran are old friends who wanted to work together.
He was also promoted and paid very well. He wasn't the DC last year at A&M. Did they offer him the DC job under the new HC? Not sure but EROB had already committed to Fran prior to. Fran mentioned a few times that EROB didn't come cheap. .

Why quickly? What does that gain?
Agreed. In addition, if he's looking for more of a bench coach over a recruiter which it appears he is, well then he isn't gaining a lot with a quick hire. Had he lost Straughn well that to me is different. It's his call at this point. Nobody outside the wackos on this board are pulling arm hair out over the time it takes to replace Gerry.

Of course. But don't you think he already has a good idea on who and what he wants? I would be disappointed if he didn't.
I'm sure he does just like JW did with Dino. Still Fran wasn't on JWs list, he came out of left field so you never know.

Don't let the climate bother you. I am old. I remmber the same talk about MLB back when free agency started. It will just become the new normal.
MLB has never had drastic roster turnover year after year. SU basketball is consistently losing their best players that have eligibility remaining. That’s a problem for a program that has poor roster management.

Any good leader should have a succession plan for key roles, or at least a short list already made imho.
It’s easy to say that in theory, not always easy to act on it in real life. It’s seems Red’s succession plan was more focused on the approach he would take if/when an assistant left. Succession planning is more difficult with smaller structures because you are often forced into an external hire where your ability to control the desired outcome is reduced (ie, you might not land your targeted candidate).

Why quickly? What does that gain?
The main thing is time. But, it also changes momentum. Quick, decisive and correct decisions instill confidence in a coach. Confidence in a coach motivates a fanbase. A motivated fanbase equals NIL donations. NIL donations means better players. A “take my time” approach sounds like he was unprepared for the possibility of hiring a new assistant. I’m not saying that’s true. But, that’s the general perception. In the age of NIL, it’s all about controlling the narrative and motivating your fans.

What would everyone think if Melo became Red’s choice.

Do you think Melo would even want to sniff this?

His son is a recruit so you have his son potentially become a player and his dad sitting on the bench as an assistant head coach?

Recruits looking in from the outside seeing Carmelo Anthony as the new assistant, (HC) coach.

I would think that that situation would be very good considering his career and his son may be playing.

Don’t you think that would attract really great players to come play for SU?

Who knows how Melo would be as a coach but for recruiting purposes that’s an A+ in my mind.

Back in the family with one of the best players ever in the NBA.
Isn’t this what Georgetown did but in a much more “all in” manner by making Ewing the head coach? I agree the star power would add something (if Red is the sort of person who can make that work for him) but it won’t be too long before recruits will have been too young to really know Melo’s career.

Dean confirmed this as well but like I mentioned last week, there's some real smoke with a MontVerde coach
Going from high school assistant to high-major AHC would be a leap, putting it mildly.

If not this candidate, who steps into that role?

The main thing is time. But, it also changes momentum. Quick, decisive and correct decisions instill confidence in a coach. Confidence in a coach motivates a fanbase. A motivated fanbase equals NIL donations. NIL donations means better players. A “take my time” approach sounds like he was unprepared for the possibility of hiring a new assistant. I’m not saying that’s true. But, that’s the general perception. In the age of NIL, it’s all about controlling the narrative and motivating your fans.
Wins motivate fans, nothing else.

All those Fran Brown wins brought in the football NIL?
Yes. He is winning the only game he is in right now; recruiting. And to be honest, the bar for excitement is pretty low on the FB side.
Also, HCFB is out stumping for NIL. Unknown if Red is.
The idea that quickly hiring an assistant coach will excite the fan base into giving money is you trying to tie money, etc., to an outcome you want.
It’s non-sensical.
In any business, you should hire slow and fire fast. A bad hire costs far more than a few weeks of due diligence.

Yes. He is winning the only game he is in right now; recruiting. And to be honest, the bar for excitement is pretty low on the FB side.
Also, HCFB is out stumping for NIL. Unknown if Red is.
The idea that quickly hiring an assistant coach will excite the fan base into giving money is you trying to tie money, etc., to an outcome you want.
It’s non-sensical.
In any business, you should hire slow and fire fast. A bad hire costs far more than a few weeks of due diligence.
Obviously it has to be a good hire. But, college sports is different than business. It has windows, like the portal windows and recruiting in general. And, fanbases…there aren’t any in business unless you want to equate that to investors. And investors are typically far more rational than fanbases. Fans need to be stimulated, a great hire, a great recruit establishes momentum and energizes the fans. If fans have hope, they donate.

Coaches convention is this weekend at the Final Four. I’m sure there will a lot of conversations. You never know who might come forward with interest in the job.
I would assume their agents would have contacted Red right away.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom