New Assistant: Dan Engelstad [Official] | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

New Assistant: Dan Engelstad [Official]

Inheriting a program that was 1–24 before he took over, Engelstad led the Mountaineers to a 16–10 overall record, including wins over a nationally ranked Williams featuring Duncan Robinson.[4]The following season, Engelstad guided Southern Vermont to a NECC regular season title, its best record in program history with a 25–4 record, and its first-ever appearance in the ECAC Division III New England Basketball tournament, capturing the school's first ECAC title of any kind.[5]

The following season, Southern Vermont won both the NECC regular season and tournament title with a perfect 16–0 mark in conference play, and a 24–4 overall record en route to the school's second-ever NCAA Tournament appearance.[6]Following a 17–10 overall record in the 2016–17 season and another NECC regular season title, Engelstad coached the Mountaineers to its fourth-straight NECC regular season title, its second conference tournament title and an appearance in the 2018 NCAA Division III tournament. With a 104–34 overall record in five seasons, Engelstad is the all-time wins leader in Southern Vermont basketball history
8mcks0.jpg

I feel like everyone is just looking at what he's done at Mount St Mary's and dismissing his success he had prior. Guy has some solid experience coaching and has had success (as well as down years like just about every coach on the planet) what a tough crowd lately.
Honestly, I don't think it is being a tough crowd. He might end up being just what the Dr ordered. But to me, it is a strange hire. Once again, Red knows what he wants. I don't.

Inheriting a program that was 1–24 before he took over, Engelstad led the Mountaineers to a 16–10 overall record, including wins over a nationally ranked Williams featuring Duncan Robinson.[4]The following season, Engelstad guided Southern Vermont to a NECC regular season title, its best record in program history with a 25–4 record, and its first-ever appearance in the ECAC Division III New England Basketball tournament, capturing the school's first ECAC title of any kind.[5]

The following season, Southern Vermont won both the NECC regular season and tournament title with a perfect 16–0 mark in conference play, and a 24–4 overall record en route to the school's second-ever NCAA Tournament appearance.[6]Following a 17–10 overall record in the 2016–17 season and another NECC regular season title, Engelstad coached the Mountaineers to its fourth-straight NECC regular season title, its second conference tournament title and an appearance in the 2018 NCAA Division III tournament. With a 104–34 overall record in five seasons, Engelstad is the all-time wins leader in Southern Vermont basketball history
Clearly he sucks. We should've went with Jay Wright.

top 25 national HS rankings have like 4 or 5 schools from DMV right now...great place to have connections

I like getting A HC as an assistant

record at MSM is irrelevant...no one is winning there
Didn't the guy with the bow tie do every well.?

Any guesses: is he an offensive guy. Defensive. What do we know about his recruiting at D-1 level.
Seems curious hire both ways. I assume there is a secret sauce?
Recruiting is less important more than ever. Need to have a system that guys want to play that are from the portal. Im fine with this.

Clearly he sucks. We should've went with Jay Wright.
He inherited a program that was winning, pre-portal and Covid, and had a losing record in four years of play in the NEC. Cmon. Not saying it won't be a good hire but if the best selling point is his D3 performance 7 years ago I think it's fair to be skeptical.

Honestly, I don't think it is being a tough crowd. He might end up being just what the Dr ordered. But to me, it is a strange hire. Once again, Red knows what he wants. I don't.
I get what you're saying but at the same time people want a hire that's mainly a recruiter or from the AAU scene. We've already got that in Straughn. We don't need half our staff being a bunch of AAU dudes...at least this guy has legitimate experience coaching. I don't hate it...not flashy or super fun but It seems like a nice addition to what we have already imo.

I get what you're saying but at the same time people want a hire that's mainly a recruiter or from the AAU scene. We've already got that in Straughn. We don't need half our staff being a bunch of AAU dudes...at least this guy has legitimate experience coaching. I don't hate it...not flashy or super fun but It seems like a nice addition to what we have already imo.
I think that is fair. But it also fair to be surprised and honestly, a bit worried about this choice. I haven't seen anything that screams out to me, this is the guy. But, I am not Red. I don't know what mattered most to him. He doies. And I will be fair to this guy. But I am surprised.

I imagine he's going to be at least a good hire. It just feels like that guy from Holy Cross instead of Fran Brown, but maybe his DMV connections are legit and he'll end up being a homerun.

Mentioned this in the other thread.. Montgomery has game
He looks solid and shot 41% from deep. Small sample size though on the three point shooting. Had some big games against high major programs. Would be a good add to the program.

Suppose to he a defensive mind
I want an offensive innovator who can scheme and teach innovative sets and create lots of movement and off ball screening actions. That’s what we need. That’s how UConn turned into the Machine. The modeled their offensive concepts after European teams. I think Red and Griff can coach up the defense. I guess maybe Straughn can start making moves with the offense this off season.

He inherited a program that was winning, pre-portal and Covid, and had a losing record in four years of play in the NEC. Cmon. Not saying it won't be a good hire but if the best selling point is his D3 performance 7 years ago I think it's fair to be skeptical.
Hes being hired as an assistant for crying out loud. We have a head coach. Dude has experience along with some success and some chitty years. What are we doing here?

I think that is fair. But it also fair to be surprised and honestly, a bit worried about this choice. I haven't seen anything that screams out to me, this is the guy. But, I am not Red. I don't know what mattered most to him. He doies. And I will be fair to this guy. But I am surprised.
Fair. Does seem out of left field considering what you've been hearing about Red wanting to take his time with this hire. Maybe the selling point was we really want Leffew and this makes that happen?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom