New Assistant: Dan Engelstad [Official] | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

New Assistant: Dan Engelstad [Official]

Gee, I forgot. Grasso is available. How did Red miss that?
Jimmy Fallon Lol GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

Hes being hired as an assistant for crying out loud. We have a head coach. Dude has experience along with some success and some chitty years. What are we doing here?
Why such angst over people's surprise and disappointment with the choice? It isn't like this guy is a Home run hire. he may turn out to be a good one. But as of right now, people are wondering, what does this guy offer that another option (not Jay Wright) could offer us. It's a legit question. No one said this about Brendon.

Hes being hired as an assistant for crying out loud. We have a head coach. Dude has experience along with some success and some chitty years. What are we doing here?
His success was at the D3 level. He had essentially zero success at the D1 level. He made one NCAA tournament with an upset win and their record was still one game over .500. He may be a great hire for us, but its also okay to believe this is a puzzling hire.

If he is a defensive guy, that would make me smile.
That would make me frown. Maybe. Our issues stem from a stale offense. I get that our offense improved throughout the season and was pretty good by the end, but the sets were all still so meh. I think our defense—and how it got worse over the course of the season—stemmed from a lack of buy-in from a bunch of players. I don’t know. I think Red can coach defense. He certainly preaches about it a lot.

Last edited:
Why such angst over people's surprise and disappointment with the choice? It isn't like this guy is a Home run hire. he may turn out to be a good one. But as of right now, people are wondering, what does this guy offer that another option (not Jay Wright) could offer us. It's a legit question. No one said this about Brendon.
No angst...this board has been all over the place lately. We get Eddie and people act like we should've landed Shaq. We (might) get Leffew and people are upset we didn't get Kyrie. I think the staff is doing decent with what's available out there and it just seems like this board has been such downers about everything. (I kinda understand considering Yukon just went back to back ) maybe I need to up my expectations lol.

No angst...this board has been all over the place lately. We get Eddie and people act like we should've landed Shaq. We (might) get Leffew and people are upset we didn't get Kyrie. I think the staff is doing decent with what's available out there and it just seems like this board has been such downers about everything. (I kinda understand considering Yukon just went back to back ) maybe I need to up my expectations lol.
I understand. But I was thrilled to get Eddie. And I am very happy if we get (and we will) get Leffew. This pick just came out of the blue. And I must admit, I don't really get it. And there was no reason to mention UConn. I am blocking that out of my mind. Thanks for nothing for that.

No one knows how they will produce at this level. I give the staff an A - right now based on like you said what was available out there. We could of hit a home run but we won’t know until we see the product on the court next season.

Without knowing anything, gotta be Engelstad.
Does it really matter who the associate head coach is? If red doesnt get us in the NCAA tournament in the next 2 years, there will be a complete overhaul of the coaching staff when a new head coach is brought in.

Along that same timeline, if GMAC is an instant success at Siena, I could see a strong scenario with GMAC replacing Red. Hopefully Red and GMac both turn it around as I hope all previous Orangemen find success

Last edited:
I’ve seen a decent number of comments about X’s and O’s but I don’t think basketball works like that. It isn’t like football with offensive and defensive coordinators. You don’t see coaching staffs with a head coach who does one of those and delegates the other. HCs coach both sides of the ball, the way they want them coached. Sure, assistants could have some input or perspective to help the HC out, but they’re mostly there to get their marching orders and execute them. You don’t hire a defensive minded AC and implement his defense. Likewise, with offense.

I wonder if the wheels started to go in motion when we did our due diligence on Leffew. Red became impressed with this guys basketball acumen and then decided he was better than anyone else he could offer. Based on the hire it wouldn’t appear recruiting was the main requirement.

I’ve seen a decent number of comments about X’s and O’s but I don’t think basketball works like that. It isn’t like football with offensive and defensive coordinators. You don’t see coaching staffs with a head coach who does one of those and delegates the other. HCs coach both sides of the ball, the way they want them coached. Sure, assistants could have some input or perspective to help the HC out, but they’re mostly there to get their marching orders and execute them. You don’t hire a defensive minded AC and implement his defense. Likewise, with offense.
They do, but they often bring in experts on whatever side of the ball they think they are weaker coaching.

Beilein had a d. coordinator for Michigan. Hurley and UConn sucked on offense until he hired Murray after he was let go at Louisville. He’s the one who created their entire offense.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom