New Assistant | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

New Assistant

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a young offensive innovator like Luke Murray. You can read about the wonders he’s done for UConn’s program below. Offensive innovation is how Red will get the program back on top.
Why would he leave UConn to be an assistant somewhere else.

Qualities I'd look for, in no particular order:

Analytically-minded: We aren't gonna beat Duke and UNC at their own game. That's been proven time and time again since we jumped to the ACC. Gotta think Louisville won't be down for long either depending on who they get, so we need someone willing to embrace emerging concepts before others know what's happening.

Effective communicator: Red's not an old spring chicken, but he could use someone who can convey advanced concepts to today's players and relate to them on the recruiting trail, be it HS or portal. Also able to challenge Red when the need arises.

Effective talent evaluator: Pretty self-explanatory after the last 10 years.

Last edited:
I hope fans realize we probably won't hear anything definitive until after the FF. Coaches contracts typically run through that weekend and there's usually a lot of in person politicking that happens regarding coaches next jobs there.

Agreed. He will be a high major coach in the Big East or ACC soon.
Why would he leave UConn to be an assistant somewhere else.
I wasn’t suggesting that we should or could hire Murray. That’s not happening. I was saying we should look for an innovative offensive mind in our assistant coach search. A dynamic up and coming assistant like Murray who’s still at the mid major level but has shown a knack for implementing a cutting edge, modern offense.

Last edited:
Whomever the equivalent of Fran Brown is in college hoops.

Talent wins games... can we stop playing with inferior talent? Can't wait for the day where we aren't playing 4 or 3 on 5 on offense because the other team doesn't have to guard our players. Can't wait for the day we stop playing power forwards as centers. Can't wait for the day when we have players who can both dribble and shoot.

first priority: offensive guru with a system ready to go
second priority: recruiting connections

i feel like the talent isnt really as big of an issue as the lack of scheme is...and that will be even truer moving forward. i think a lof of people think the talent is worse than it is bc of the (lack of) scheme.

I’m a little surprised by the posts suggesting an assistant should bring in a “system.” That’s Red’s job, and is underscored by hiring assistants in support of whatever it is.

I hope he won’t bring in a total yes man, but he’s not going to look for someone whose philosophy is fundamentally at odds with his either.

Qualities I'd look for, in no particular order:

Analytically-minded: We aren't gonna beat Duke and UNC at their own game. That's been proven time and time again since we jumped to the ACC. Gotta think Louisville won't be down for long either depending on who they get, so we need someone willing to embrace emerging concepts before others know what's happening.

Effective communicator: Red's not an old spring chicken, but he could use someone who can convey advanced concepts to today's players and relate to them on the recruiting trail, be it HS or portal. Also able to challenge Red when the need arises.

Effective talent evaluator: Pretty self-explanatory after the last 10 years.
This is all great, but most importantly, they should be tall.

Philly guy
Good call.

I got just the guy.

IMG_0218.jpeg

Bobby Jordan - Wagner Assistant (Bruiser Flint disciple with Philly connections and head coaching experience for top prep schools). Not a AAU guy though.
He’s at Temple now as an ass’t.

Definitely someone who can recruit and develop big men. We’ve been lacking for too long.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom