New College Football OT Rule | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

New College Football OT Rule

I liked how they had it before where you still alternated full possessions but had to go for 2 at a certain point after TDs.

Going straight to single plays back and forth is odd.

I didn't realize that there were new OT rules this year until this morning. I saw the score and knew they went to 9 OTs and kept thinking how pathetic both teams must be on offense and special teams.

My brother thought there was a series of safeties. Now that WOULD be pathetic.
My son and I had the same discussion not knowing about the new rule and saying mathematically how could that score 20-18 be possible after a 10-10 score In regulation.

Hate it. Makes no sense. No way this goes to "9" OTs the old way. Also takes FGs out of play.
so they ran a total of 14 plays after the first 2 OTS. if an OT goes to 3 in the old system you could run 14 plays. So while it went a bunch of OTs it really was probably far less plays than the old system and who expects them to fail like 12-13 times in a row anyway?

so they ran a total of 14 plays after the first 2 OTS. if an OT goes to 3 in the old system you could run 14 plays. So while it went a bunch of OTs it really was probably far less plays than the old system and who expects them to fail like 12-13 times in a row anyway?
It is one play. I expect them to fail 2/3 of the time. Teams don't have a plethora of 2 point plays to call.

Under the old system how often did OTs go past 3? Why are we "protecting" the kids for scenarios that rarely happen?

I found an article before the 2019 season that talked about this new rule. Only 11 OT games in history had reached 5 or more OTs.

I rather see:

1st through 4th OTs required to go for 2 on a TD
5th OT and on alternating 2 pointers

That at least gives you less randomness. 2 pointers are pretty random, why decide a game that way? I actually rather see a tie than 2 pointers deciding things. So we would have had 11 ties the last 25 years.

you could also just kick Xps that go back until they miss.. like a FT contest.. start 30-40 yds out,

also a standard 3ot would probably on avg say 5 plays to score the other team is gonna go until that match . so any Ot probably takes 3-10 plays so once you get to the 4th OT you are gonna be in the 10-20 play range.. running 2pt plays that you expect to run at 50% you would think normally they would be over in 2-3 tries and 3-6 plays..

like hockey shoot outs most are over in 3-6 tries but some go 10-15..

It's stupid I was flipping between our game and that game and had no idea what the heck was going on. The old ot rule worked just fine.

It's stupid I was flipping between our game and that game and had no idea what the heck was going on. The old ot rule worked just fine.
they all got scared because of that LSU game that went like 100 extra plays

they also could have just tweaked it a bit more 2 tries normal 2-3 tries go for 2.. then after 5 go to the 2xp rule.

I'm personally a big fan of the new NFL OT model. I think it's perfect. The old NFL format was way too skewed in favor of the coin toss, and I think the current college format is too drawn out. The new NFL format strikes the right balance, IMO.