**New Commit: 4 Star PF Tyler Lydon** | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

**New Commit: 4 Star PF Tyler Lydon**

I don't know that I see the athleticism that some others are seeing. With all of the cool looking dunks, he doesn't really seem to jump all that high. I also didn't really see anything that showed whether he has any agility or lateral movement. I'm not saying he doesn't have it, just that nothing in the video shows it, one way or the other. I don't think he's a slug, he's just not super athletic. His shooting stroke looks nice and he had some nice passes. It'll be interesting to see how he develops the next couple of seasons, before getting here. He looks like a nice get.

I don't know, those one hand, high flying jams looked darn athletic to me .. then again I use a step ladder to dunk so I'm easily impressed. :D

I don't know, those one hand, high flying jams looked darn athletic to me .. then again I use a step ladder to dunk so I'm easily impressed. :D
I tend to look at where a guys head is in relation to the rim, and it seems he's just not all that high for a guy that's 6'8". If you look at the Plumlee brothers for comparison, in a lot of the videos I saw of them, they had to duck to keep from hitting their head on the rim. They were a little taller, but there still seems to be a big difference. I'm not saying he's a bad basketball player or anything, just that he doesn't have ridiculous athleticism.

Looks like a solid get. But will this affect Bryant coming here?

Certainly hope not.. but... one in the hand... two in the bush type thing.

And now for a bit of a wet blanket ... At the outset, let me make clear that I only got to see Tyler play in person one time - in the Class C NYC basketball championship at the Glens Falls Civic Center against a team I help coach, so take these observations with a grain of salt. In that game, playing against a zone with much smaller players, he was content to stand out at the arc and launch up 3-pointers. He missed the vast majority of them, and I believe he didn't even crack double digits (although I could be off a bit on that). I saw in here someone comparing his shot to Southerland's. I'm not seeing it - much flatter, a much lower release, and not nearly the consistency (and we know how streaky James could be!) He showed no handle but did rebound well - as he should have, since our tallest player was maybe 6-2. All in all, he was just a very passive 6-8 guy. At game's end, he and his teammates - whose smallest starter was 6-4 - lost by 10 to our club. Afterward, even though he was only a sophomore, myself and the other coaches came away thinking, "Well, he's decent, but he's got a lot to improve on." That being said, I have seen the highlights of his AAU summer activity, and he has clearly improved. But I always question 'highlight reels,' especially in the AAU realm where defense is often an afterthought. It is my hope that with improved competition this season, his game will continue to grow. Obviously, D-I coaches believe he has a high 'ceiling' (I do hate that word), and I don't pretend to be any where near as knowledgeable as D-I coaches. However, I can't help wonder if he will wind up being a Matt Gorman type. (But at 180 pounds, obviously without the heftiness of Gorman's game.) In other words, will he only be a 4-year guy who plays some from time to time and has a GPA that's good for the program? Not - in the words of an immortal Seinfeld episode - that there's anything wrong with that! So, FWIW, that's my take on our new recruit.

I think everyone who saw him play in Glens Falls were, largely, unimpressed. However, I don't think he was able to showcase his true game because Pine Plains needed him as a post presence. I suspect that is why he broke out during the AAU season and I think he made a good decision in moving on to a prep school. I'll try to get past what I've seen from him previously and trust the SU staff.

And now for a bit of a wet blanket ... At the outset, let me make clear that I only got to see Tyler play in person one time - in the Class C NYC basketball championship at the Glens Falls Civic Center against a team I help coach, so take these observations with a grain of salt. In that game, playing against a zone with much smaller players, he was content to stand out at the arc and launch up 3-pointers. He missed the vast majority of them, and I believe he didn't even crack double digits (although I could be off a bit on that). I saw in here someone comparing his shot to Southerland's. I'm not seeing it - much flatter, a much lower release, and not nearly the consistency (and we know how streaky James could be!) He showed no handle but did rebound well - as he should have, since our tallest player was maybe 6-2. All in all, he was just a very passive 6-8 guy. At game's end, he and his teammates - whose smallest starter was 6-4 - lost by 10 to our club. Afterward, even though he was only a sophomore, myself and the other coaches came away thinking, "Well, he's decent, but he's got a lot to improve on." That being said, I have seen the highlights of his AAU summer activity, and he has clearly improved. But I always question 'highlight reels,' especially in the AAU realm where defense is often an afterthought. It is my hope that with improved competition this season, his game will continue to grow. Obviously, D-I coaches believe he has a high 'ceiling' (I do hate that word), and I don't pretend to be any where near as knowledgeable as D-I coaches. However, I can't help wonder if he will wind up being a Matt Gorman type. (But at 180 pounds, obviously without the heftiness of Gorman's game.) In other words, will he only be a 4-year guy who plays some from time to time and has a GPA that's good for the program? Not - in the words of an immortal Seinfeld episode - that there's anything wrong with that! So, FWIW, that's my take on our new recruit.

Note to self: Do not ask sususpicious to give the eulogy at my funeral.

I tend to look at where a guys head is in relation to the rim, and it seems he's just not all that high for a guy that's 6'8". If you look at the Plumlee brothers for comparison, in a lot of the videos I saw of them, they had to duck to keep from hitting their head on the rim. They were a little taller, but there still seems to be a big difference. I'm not saying he's a bad basketball player or anything, just that he doesn't have ridiculous athleticism.
How do you measure yourself with other golfers? By height.

I think everyone who saw him play in Glens Falls were, largely, unimpressed. However, I don't think he was able to showcase his true game because Pine Plains needed him as a post presence. I suspect that is why he broke out during the AAU season and I think he made a good decision in moving on to a prep school. I'll try to get past what I've seen from him previously and trust the SU staff.
Not only did he transfer, he's reclassifying. So an extra year to mature.

This isn't your run of the mill wet blanket - this is borderline hate. What did he do to you bro?

Comparisons to Southerland are about his 3pt shooting and role here. Lydon was 42% and 36%, that's great for a 6'8" guy. Not nearly the consistency as Dirty? Huh? How can you make that comment viewing one game? Generally, the whole "streaky" shooting criticism is an igorish way to put in unsubstantiated negativity.

You mentioned that he was passive but if his role was as a designated shooter to counter the zone you through at them, what would you expect? And I don't think anyone could put good rebounding numbers in such a debbie-downer context as you managed to do.

SU is adding a top 100, tall shooter. He has 2 years to grow, develop, and learn. This is a good thing.

I'm more concerned with Jones coming here after this commitment. This shouldn't scare Bryant, he'd be slotted in at a wing from day one.

This isn't your run of the mill wet blanket - this is borderline hate. What did he do to you bro?

Comparisons to Southerland are about his 3pt shooting and role here. Lydon was 42% and 36%, that's great for a 6'8" guy. Not nearly the consistency as Dirty? Huh? How can you make that comment viewing one game? Generally, the whole "streaky" shooting criticism is an igorish way to put in unsubstantiated negativity.

You mentioned that he was passive but if his role was as a designated shooter to counter the zone you through at them, what would you expect? And I don't think anyone could put good rebounding numbers in such a debbie-downer context as you managed to do.

SU is adding a top 100, tall shooter. He has 2 years to grow, develop, and learn. This is a good thing.
No need to come down so hard. It was just his observation from seeing him play in person. He even admits it may not be completely accurate for a number of reasons.

This guy seems more polished than Jones. I'm more impressed with Lydon than jones. I get Jones is athletic, but he seems to be lacking basketball skills/IQ. Much rather would have Bryant, diange and lydon.

This isn't your run of the mill wet blanket - this is borderline hate. What did he do to you bro?.

Really? Really??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He's 2015. With Grant and McCoullough likely gone by then, plenty of room for Diagne and Bryant as well. That says nothing of Roberson going pro too...
If all of those guys you speak of go pro according to your timeline... JB will be retiring with another championship before the 2015 class arrives. Temper your expectations a little.

I tend to look at where a guys head is in relation to the rim,
Good post,I do the same. However you don't have to get up that high, especially if you have the wingspan as a forward. Its better to be able to go around the second defender or beat him to the rim then it is to try to outjump them with the ball, thats something alot of college freshmen bigs and even guards learn. For the record I kinda feel the same way about mccullough he doesn't really get his head above the rim, but his arms are so darn long for a 6'10 guy that alot of fans playing against him end up on his posters.

Hes only a sophmore in high school right now, and will keep building those leg muslces and a second gear to improve that verticle.

No doubt, that behind the back pass was Magic Johnsonesque and he shoots it like Dirk with the explosivness of Iguodala.
1289679.jpg

Last edited:
Well Its gonna be tough because we could only compare him to other white guys right? I'm sure he doesn't possibly remind anyone of damone brown.
John Wallace written all over him[/quote]
Alex Murphy did come to mind.

Thanks to SUSuspicious for posting that first hand account.

I'm not that worried, given that it is virtually impossible to envision that the staff would extend [or accept] a commitment from a junior, at the beginning of their junior year, from a prospect that they weren't very excited about adding to the program. No doubt, the kid has a lot of physical maturity gains he needs to make--but again, not that concerned at this stage of his developmental curve [i.e., a kid just starting his junior year of high school].

If I'm not mistaken, this kid was also an elite camp attendee, so that's another indication that the staff likes his potential.

Lydon seems like a quality pickup, and will help bolster what could be a depleted forward rotation in a few years. I like it.