Class of 2019 - New Commit: Brandon Aviles (NY:Ward-Melville) FO/Mid | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2019 New Commit: Brandon Aviles (NY:Ward-Melville) FO/Mid

A lot to take in with this post. Some good points, but it’s awfully easy to sit back and play arm chair coach sometimes. If Desko hadn’t played these upper classmen, then we would spend our time complaining that we never saw enough of fill in the blank. It’s a balancing act and one made harder when you have such a large roster. But there are many many practices that we don’t see that the coaches are evaluating, and yes there are some really head scratching roster decisions over the years, but it’s important to remember we only get a small sample size to make our judgements on.

If you’d like to put Magnan/Kim’s/Aviles on the second line, then please tell us what we do with Buttermore and Lipka, two guys who could start for most teams in the country? I’d love to see what some of these younger kids can do, but we can’t just can’t dismiss these older guys cause they aren’t shiny and new anymore. Salcido is the perfect example of why it’s really hard to give up on a player early on their career.
Somehow I forgot about Lipka while writing that post, and had Buttermore running the 1st line with Curry and Trimboli (assuming that Dordevic moves to attack with Rehfuss and Scanlan). That would be my dream 1st offensive line at least. Then have Lipka, the Kims/Magnan/Hill/Aviles alternate on the second midfield line.

If Aviles has to RS next season, then fine, but Desko better promise this kid his kidney to get him to stay instead of transferring out and screwing up a pipeline between 'Cuse x Ward Melville. We cannot afford to keep losing talent like this just because he wants to play someone who was highly ranked in HS, is a coaches son, or the son of a former Syracuse legend. Just because they are highly ranked in high school doesn't mean its going to translate over to D1 lacrosse, and I think we all know this very well without mentioning any names.

Regarding Salcido, I think thats a rare case of a walk-on working hard and defying the odds to earn his spot. Are we really going to continue to keep letting players like Quinn/Seebold see the field with the hopes they become a Salcido type player at some point in their careers, when there are players on the roster who are younger, have played a lot less minutes yet have the same amount of points as them? Judgments like these are what worry me about this staff as of late, but I hope that changes.

This kid has a really high ceiling and I'm excited to see him grow as a player at the next level. I know we are already deep at the midfield position next season, but I really really would like him to see the field next year-- as I think he is talented enough both offensively and defensively to play right away. Would hate to see a solid Long Island player who goes against tough HS competition have to RS, wonder if he will ever see the field and then just transfer somewhere else because Desko wants to be stubborn and play favoritism towards upperclassmen. Either that, or be stubborn and continue to play kids that haven't produced any fruit in their lacrosse careers thus far.

As far as I'm concerned, Quinn can lose his spot on the 2nd midfield line and get replaced by Aviles. I just dont see Quinn progressing or becoming any kind of elite midfielder at the D1 level, im sorry. ORRR, have the 2nd midfield line be the Kim bros + Magnan. If one of the twins or Magnan aren't producing or playing well, throw Aviles/Hill in.

Thats the one thing that has bothered me the last couple of years. Why are players like Lane, Simmons, Carlin, Quinn, Seebold who all have got a significant amount of playing time and have little to show in their lacrosse careers playing over some people on the roster who are sitting on the bench, redshirting or transferred out already? Is Desko actively trying to self sabotage? I'm sitting here trying to make it make sense lol. It's really not that difficult to switch around players and see who meshes well during the game.. look what happened when he gave Buttermore a shot. Magnan, the Kim bros, and Aburn have the same amount of points as Quinn/Seebold with only having played the last couple minutes of a couple games.
I doubt Desko has or will ever play the inferior performer at any position. Aviles will play if he beats out his competitors.
Basically if he comes out of the gate like Tucker Dordevic blowing past longpoles, destroying corners and guys ankles, and nailing one handed shots on the run, he will see the field somewhat. We have so many guys at middie that are guaranteed to get us results that he will really have to be an instant stud to see consistent minutes there as a freshman. There will be less of a need in 2020 for desperate experimentation like in 2018 where we threw in freshman who were a little green in the gills when all else failed. He will be competing with like 5 other pretty great young guys for one or two spots on the second middie line.

After watching the highlights is seems like he could be a legit competitor for a spot. He has good size and strength and looks confident handling the ball. Not Curry levels of fast but doesn't seem like his speed will be a crutch like it appears to be at present with guys like Quinn and Seebold. He has a heck of stick too with some nice finesse around the crease. The competition in these clips is almost definitely not slouches since he's playing in the middle of long island. Also those accolades! Have to imagine there is a lot of competition for Suffolk County midfield of the year. If he comes in and he outperforms Quinn, the Kim twins, Fiorini, Lewandowski, etc. then I see no need to use a redshirt on him. After watching the film the fact that he faces off seems like an afterthought.
I think the short clips of his defense were more impressive than his offense. He might get runs earlier as a ssdm. His quickness and stick work were solid.

Somehow I forgot about Lipka while writing that post, and had Buttermore running the 1st line with Curry and Trimboli (assuming that Dordevic moves to attack with Rehfuss and Scanlan). That would be my dream 1st offensive line at least. Then have Lipka, the Kims/Magnan/Hill/Aviles alternate on the second midfield line.

If Aviles has to RS next season, then fine, but Desko better promise this kid his kidney to get him to stay instead of transferring out and screwing up a pipeline between 'Cuse x Ward Melville. We cannot afford to keep losing talent like this just because he wants to play someone who was highly ranked in HS, is a coaches son, or the son of a former Syracuse legend. Just because they are highly ranked in high school doesn't mean its going to translate over to D1 lacrosse, and I think we all know this very well without mentioning any names.

Regarding Salcido, I think thats a rare case of a walk-on working hard and defying the odds to earn his spot. Are we really going to continue to keep letting players like Quinn/Seebold see the field with the hopes they become a Salcido type player at some point in their careers, when there are players on the roster who are younger, have played a lot less minutes yet have the same amount of points as them? Judgments like these are what worry me about this staff as of late, but I hope that changes.
Please stop with the accusation that Desko is corrupt. It's more than tiresome.

Both families and coaches have to agree to any expressed desire to redshirt by either party. Not a unilateral decision..
Not sure about that. If the coach never puts a player into the game, they’ve been redshirted. Not much they can do about that besides transfer after the fact like Wisnauskas.

Last edited:
Please stop with the accusation that Desko is corrupt. It's more than tiresome.
I'm not making any accusations of Desko being "corrupt"??? Nor am I a "fire desktop" guy-- I actually really like him. But do I think he and the staff have made some questionable decisions? Sure. Do I think he and the staff can improve on some things? Especially when it comes to recruiting and getting/keeping recruits? Yes. If you're sitting here saying you're happy with how things have gone the past 2 years then that's your opinion.

I’m really impressed with this kid's game. It appears that he is a lacrosse player willing to play anywhere to help his team win. He gives off the sense that he loves to play the game with creativity and has fun when he plays. I hope he can bring this energy and excitement to Cuse. He is so versatile I’m sure he'll find his way onto the field somewhere.

Actually quite the opposite to credit of coaches. Curry is AA caliber case closed. . Seebold was Inside Lacrosse #20 and has barely got auditioned to date, he'd start elsewhere if that was family priority. .Simmons was competent mid who provided solid two way play and vet leadership to kids but didn't get all that much run on 2nd line. One Nelson transferred out and sees field elsewhere while another sticks around and performs whenever given chance but doesn't get minutes. Another two are no longer in program but at the school.

EVERY coach makes questionable decisions according to their fans including me but any inference of any form of nepotism is off base and with a roster of 60 no top recruit is being passed over for the inclusion of any lineage Grateful those kids came here to compete because its not the easiest route to follow...

... and everyone has an opinion on what is success , my reality is its no longer our inalienable right to be a FF team with current landscape and certain disadvantages. Opine that Im happy with the clear and steady progress made in last two years after a difficult transition undertaken in 18 to younger team that is now older and positioned to be one of the better teams in upcoming season with a legit chance to make some noise.

I’m really impressed with this kid's game. It appears that he is a lacrosse player willing to play anywhere to help his team win. He gives off the sense that he loves to play the game with creativity and has fun when he plays. I hope he can bring this energy and excitement to Cuse. He is so versatile I’m sure he'll find his way onto the field somewhere.
Wow, first they show him from X with some beautiful goals & I'm thinking I thought it said he was a midfielder. Then they show him killing on faceoff's then it shows him playing take away defense. Kid is talented.

Impressed with the tape on Aviles, it looks super promising. Best part may have been the fact that he covers offense, defense and facing-off. Offensively he looks like a bigger, but not as fast version of Curry, the way he holds his stick, and the aggression in which he attacks the cage. Looks to have no problem going behind the back, the one "knock" I could point out is he looks a little out of control in some of the clips - which makes for great highlights, but he may not get away with it in college.

But honestly the biggest thing he may bring to the fold is his face-off abilities, more specifically, his offensive prowess he brings to the field after he wins a faceoff. SU hasn't had a FOGO with offensive skills since Jeremy Thompson was on the team. Obviously the Orange have two good FOGOs in Phaup and Varello, but they showed some weaknesses at the end of the year, and having another guy to rely on would be huge. Also neither Phaup nor Varello were any threat to score when they won the ball. FOGO's are of course the hardest position to predict (Phaup really came out of nowhere last year), so it's really hard to know if Avilies can make the transion, but I think that would be his best chance of seeing the field early.

Are there any stats on his face offs senior year? I think he'd have put a lot more face off highlights in his video if he was one of the best on LI. SU also could use a short stick on the wings of face offs, especially in 2020 after Dearth graduates, who can get the ball and attack the goal.

Should temper our expectations for Aviles especially as fogo. The Smithtown West fogo Calderone headed to Maryland simply dominated ( 90% ish) Aviles and others Ward Melville put out in the two games they split and apparently there were other fogos in that very competitive section that were simply better at that specialty. Aviles may be more of a developing mid with Kline n Talago more likely to fill the 3rd -4th fogo spot. Find out soon enough as fall is around the corner.

Are there any stats on his face offs senior year? I think he'd have put a lot more face off highlights in his video if he was one of the best on LI. SU also could use a short stick on the wings of face offs, especially in 2020 after Dearth graduates, who can get the ball and attack the goal.
FLG lacrosse lists that Aviles has 45 Face-offs taken, 27 Face-offs won, 8 GB's, 17 goals, and 3 assists for the 2019 season. His numbers aren't all that, but considering how much he does for his team I think its pretty impressive because he's going against tough competition. Definitely a very versatile player that can be used in many ways should he get to campus and absolutely crush it in fall ball.

Great all around...but I think he ends up at attack...incredible separation and crafty around the cage

Great all around...but I think he ends up at attack...incredible separation and crafty around the cage

You may be right. That is certainly where the need is and will be in the future. Another possibility is SSDM/faceoff wings. We lose our two starters there next year and he appears to have the size and strength for the job. Could be similar to Dearth as a capable SSDM in transition when the opportunity presents itself.

kid is a playa and is going to blossom into an excellent 2-way middie, he's more than just a d-mid! Great recruit from the powerhouse Ward Melville on Long Island.
I remember a time when no one even knew who he was or even if he played a big role on Ward Melville’s team. This kid was way underrated/under recruited and I’m glad the staff noticed his talents way back when.

Wow just looking at some of the moves he made to get by guys on clears...wouldn’t mind seeing him dodge on offense a few times.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom