Class of 2019 New Commit: Brandon Aviles (NY:Ward-Melville) FO/Mid

ivorytower

Scout Team
SHP is one of the better NJ teams this year. Had beaten Malvern Prep, Delbarton, Darien and Summit which are all good teams. Aviles performance and WM team are quite impressive

ivorytower

Scout Team
WM won only 6 of 13 on faceoffs against a Colgate commit . The SHP fogo is one of the many good NJ fogos but not a Sisselberger.

Orangtiz

2nd String
Wow. This kid looks like a serious talent. Creativity and dodging ability reminds me of Dordevic. Obviously the "around-the-world" was nice but how about the 7 yd back hand rocket he put in for his second goal... Disgusting.

Powellfan

Scout Team
Does anyone know how productive he's been in other games? Wondering if they seem him as a FOGO or as an offensive midfielder.

PhatOrange

Living Legend
Does anyone know how productive he's been in other games? Wondering if they seem him as a FOGO or as an offensive midfielder.
Ward Melville I think is 10-3 and Aviles seems to be in the 20 goal 5 assist range which I think is real good for a middie. Stats for WM are hard to find. Newsday has them but they're a subscription site.

ohmilax34

Scout Team
That was pretty slick.

I have to say that Aviles' rise from when he first committed to now is pretty remarkable. We were pulling stuff from the web about a Brandon Aviles from John Glenn HS LI who was a good wrestler and thinking it might be the WM Aviles because the WM Aviles had M/FO next to his name and we thought maybe the coaches know he's a good wrestler and want him for face offs.

I think that either the SU coaches are good at spotting a diamond in the rough, and let's be honest, that's what Aviles was when he committed to SU, or the coaches are good at making sure these kids work hard to improve throughout their remaining HS careers. Probably both.

I didn't know what to make of this recruit, but now he's one of the easiest of SU's 2019's to follow and he makes some great plays.

PhatOrange

Living Legend
That was pretty slick.

I have to say that Aviles' rise from when he first committed to now is pretty remarkable. We were pulling stuff from the web about a Brandon Aviles from John Glenn HS LI who was a good wrestler and thinking it might be the WM Aviles because the WM Aviles had M/FO next to his name and we thought maybe the coaches know he's a good wrestler and want him for face offs.

I think that either the SU coaches are good at spotting a diamond in the rough, and let's be honest, that's what Aviles was when he committed to SU, or the coaches are good at making sure these kids work hard to improve throughout their remaining HS careers. Probably both.

I didn't know what to make of this recruit, but now he's one of the easiest of SU's 2019's to follow and he makes some great plays.
Hard to speculate, his coaches could've reached out to Syracuse because of the kids interest or Syracuse maybe saw him at FLG or some other showcase. Could be a combination of both. I'd imagine he's been playing on a pretty good club team as well.

Hard to believe a LI kid coming up through the ranks at Ward Melville is unknown. I'm sure the people in the lacrosse circles down there always tabbed that kid as 'one to watch' much like we do here with young Section III, 2 and V kids.

ohmilax34

Scout Team
Hard to speculate, his coaches could've reached out to Syracuse because of the kids interest or Syracuse maybe saw him at FLG or some other showcase. Could be a combination of both. I'd imagine he's been playing on a pretty good club team as well.

Hard to believe a LI kid coming up through the ranks at Ward Melville is unknown. I'm sure the people in the lacrosse circles down there always tabbed that kid as 'one to watch' much like we do here with young Section III, 2 and V kids.
Aviles just seems like a strange case. He was on WM's first midfield line at least by the end of his junior year, but according to Newsday, he hardly put up any points. He didn't take many face offs either. We don't see his name mentioned in any write ups of the summer club circuit, so it's not like he was really making a name for himself there.

There is just so little production from him at Ward Melville, until this season. His upward trajectory is promising.

PhatOrange

Living Legend
Aviles just seems like a strange case. He was on WM's first midfield line at least by the end of his junior year, but according to Newsday, he hardly put up any points. He didn't take many face offs either. We don't see his name mentioned in any write ups of the summer club circuit, so it's not like he was really making a name for himself there.

There is just so little production from him at Ward Melville, until this season. His upward trajectory is promising.
He may have just been facing off last year. I do know that Ward Melville had some 22 seniors on their team last year which is crazy. So how many juniors and sophomores were even on the team and contributing?

Something to keep in mind to is that it costs a lot of money ($ thousands $) to travel the summer circuit. Kids who don't do it definitely have a tougher time getting noticed except for when you play at Ward Melville. Unless you're at a connected high school college coaches now-a-days are only spending their recruiting budget money to recruit travel tournaments, showcases and prospect camps. It's one stop shopping for them.

Last edited:

WoodyUK

Lax Maven
Aviles not playing today against Smithtown East, not said what the injury is?!

Watch live on news12 Facebook page

W'boro'Cuse315

All Conference
Northeast High School Road Trip: 22 Players Who Impressed

"Brandon Aviles ’19, FO/M, Ward Melville (N.Y.) | Syracuse Aviles certainly turned a lot of heads in the rout of Seton Hall Prep, as he fired home five goals — including the game’s first three goals — to jumpstart a Patriots team that has been inconsistent offensively this year. The most impressive part of the day was how he scored his goals, including a sick backhander that snuck in the near-side post from 10 yards out, a ridiculous low-to-high rollback from 12 yards, and the best of ‘em all: an around-the-world high bouncer from a yard above GLE."
—MC

Top Bottom