Class of 2022 - New Commit: Finlay Thomson (ON) Attack | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2022 New Commit: Finlay Thomson (ON) Attack

I like the excitement surrounding this guy. Before we get to any sort of “better than Joey” talk I think it is important to realize there are potential negatives with his game as there is with any high schooler. (Also no need to diss Cook who gives the team 110%)

For one he is the first recruit we have had since maybe Cody Jamieson who could be considered an indoor first type of player. Granted the skills to excel in indoor have massive benefits in field and that is becoming more apparent every year. But it is a different version of the game and there may be a need to adjust the approach playing D1 field lax. In the field games I have seen of his it is almost like he is trying to play the game like it’s indoor. He has foot speed but often is not always trying to blow by his man. He can maybe try to get a little to fancy with his attempts at deceiving a goalie, as if he’s used to the harder task of scoring on an indoor goal. There may be an adjustment period for him in those areas.

That being said he is about as massive a talent as I have seen in terms of stick skills/feeding. He can put this incredible touch on a behind the back pass where he slowly and casually lobs it in and leads his man perfectly. Never really seen anything quite like that before. Similar to Owen Hiltz where you can’t even see the pass coming but all of a sudden he has created a serious goal scoring opportunity. He will be an asset for us, and a much needed distributor. Our other guys with indoor experience will love working with him. How big an asset is still up in the air.

The Finlay Thomson show is in FULL effect in this one. Just completely takes over the game. Dazzling plays and incredible feeds all over the place.

Lot's of Cuse out there - Trey Deere, Donny Scott. Based what Gait has said about there being a lack of talent to play the way he wants, I could see there being an emphasis on bringing in guys capable of excelling at box. Leo was dominating in LI this winter (I assume that's a good step down from this level though).

Last edited:
I like the excitement surrounding this guy. Before we get to any sort of “better than Joey” talk I think it is important to realize there are potential negatives with his game as there is with any high schooler. (Also no need to diss Cook who gives the team 110%)

For one he is the first recruit we have had since maybe Cody Jamieson who could be considered an indoor first type of player. Granted the skills to excel in indoor have massive benefits in field and that is becoming more apparent every year. But it is a different version of the game and there may be a need to adjust the approach playing D1 field lax. In the field games I have seen of his it is almost like he is trying to play the game like it’s indoor. He has foot speed but often is not always trying to blow by his man. He can maybe try to get a little to fancy with his attempts at deceiving a goalie, as if he’s used to the harder task of scoring on an indoor goal. There may be an adjustment period for him in those areas.

That being said he is about as massive a talent as I have seen in terms of stick skills/feeding. He can put this incredible touch on a behind the back pass where he slowly and casually lobs it in and leads his man perfectly. Never really seen anything quite like that before. Similar to Owen Hiltz where you can’t even see the pass coming but all of a sudden he has created a serious goal scoring opportunity. He will be an asset for us, and a much needed distributor. Our other guys with indoor experience will love working with him. How big an asset is still up in the air.
I apologize I jokingly said Cook. Didn't mean that as a better than or a slight on Cook.. Was just the first name that came to my mind. Lol

well said, thoughtful and succinct analysis

Has 2 upcoming games for Mimico on YouTube 6/22 and 6/24
Stats-
Thomson 10 games 21g 32a 53pt
Hiltz 8 games 18 g 24 a 42 pts
Deere 6 games 7g 8a 15 pts

This was a fun game Finlay goes 4/4
There is a kid on the other team(#14) Willem Firth.. goes 8/3.. he’s second in the league for points and is uncommitted ‘23.. goes to The Hill Academy

Last edited:
On one of your above posts on June 21st he was at 53 points. The dude has been going crazy these last few games. I dont care what version of the sport it is if you are putting up 50 points in 10 days worth of games you are pretty darn good at lax.
This should be a fun one.. Finn vs Trey
July 8th

One thing to keep in mind is that in the indoor game, they count hockey assists, so the pass that leads to the pass that leads to the goal is counted as an assist. Still, Thomson & Hiltz are putting up big time numbers.

One thing to keep in mind is that in the indoor game, they count hockey assists, so the pass that leads to the pass that leads to the goal is counted as an assist. Still, Thomson & Hiltz are putting up big time numbers.
Should count in field that way as well. Dodge, force slide, pass, pass, shot. Rewards the person who actually made the defense rotate.

3. FINLAY THOMSON – BEST POWERPLAY SEASON EVER?
Ok, maybe not best ever, but best in a long time. Finlay Thomson of Mimico recently passed 100 points on the season. With three games to play, Finlay has a chance to put himself among some of the more elite seasons in recent memory, alongside guys with names like Teat, Staats, Gibson, and O’Connor. What most fans may not realize, is that the season Thomson has had on the powerplay is nearing historic levels.

Going back to 2012, the highest number of powerplay goals in a season is 15. Austin Shanks did it in 2015 and Ryan Smith in 2017. The highest number of powerplay assists was Reilly O’Connor with 28 in 2014. Jeff Teat’s best season was 23 assists on the man advantage. Burlington’s Jason Knox had 26 back in 2017. Thomson currently has 24 goals, and 21 assists on the powerplay. He has beaten the closest goals season by nine goals already, and has a chance to have the recent high water assist mark. If Thomson only played powerplay, his 45 points would still rank him in the top 30 in league scoring. Unsurprisingly, Mimico’s powerplay has been the best in the league. Their 67 goals are 17 more than the closest competition.

97D3B3B3-70E0-48D7-9604-9317E7C3E24D.jpeg

I’ll full article if any ones interested

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom