Class of 2022 - New Commit: Finlay Thomson (ON) Attack | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2022 New Commit: Finlay Thomson (ON) Attack

Finlay Thomson, A, Everest Academy (Ont.) | Edge | Syracuse

With the Canada-U.S. border closed during the pandemic until recently, Thomson and the rest of the lacrosse recruits north of the border were unable to put their talents on display in the summer of 2020. Flipping from Michigan to 'Cuse a few months back, the St. Michael's (Ont.) grad looks every bit of a five-star both in person and on film, especially as a stalwart for a Mimico Jr. A box team that features a number of current Division I standouts. A savvy 6-foot-2 righty who moves around well and is creative as a dodger, Thomson's able to stack up highlight-reel worthy plays and make his teammates around him better. That's a scary thought when considering the notion that he could end up on an attack line with Spallina and fellow Ontario native Owen Hiltz.

Just saw this on IL was in a rush to post it, but dammit you scooped me already.

Gonna go kick rocks.

1637452211632.png

There is about 4-5 games of his on YouTube if you look up Everest Academy Lacrosse. But this one has the best quality video. He's #17 in Blue.
You are a legend for pointing this out. Thought we would never see any quality field lax footage of him. Didn’t watch this one but there is also a game they played against Gilman school in MD and he had some disgusting plays in that one. Commentators didn’t even know what was happening. His talent level in terms of stick skills is off the charts.

I'm watching the Everest @ Gilman game. He looks 5'11" as he jogs past the cage, not 6'2". Matt Collison, the JHU recruit, looks about 6'1" in the video. Not sure what he's listed at.

Thompson moves well off-ball. I'll give him that. And that's not a small thing, especially if SU will have good dodgers and passers. Also, he's active in helping clear and get possession once the ball gets over the midfield line. His hands look good and he makes consistently good passes, but hardly any are under duress. He's willing to set picks, but he's not great at it. He's finished a few plays inside, but I haven't seen much to say he's a top 10 or top 20 recruit in the class of 2022. Same with Collison. This is a late March game, so maybe it's early in the season. I will keep watching.

I've posted before that watching offensive players during these games I'm often underwhelmed. I could pick a few players I've watched and noticed an elite playmaking ability.

Last edited:
I'm watching the Everest @ Gilman game. He looks 5'11" as he jogs past the cage, not 6'2". Matt Collison, the JHU recruit, looks about 6'1" in the video. Not sure what he's listed at.

Thompson moves well off-ball. I'll give him that. And that's not a small thing, especially if SU will have good dodgers and passers. Also, he's active in helping clear and get possession once the ball gets over the midfield line. His hands look good and he makes consistently good passes, but hardly any are under duress. He's willing to set picks, but he's not great at it. He's finished a few plays inside, but I haven't seen much to say he's a top 10 or top 20 recruit in the class of 2022. Same with Collison. This is a late March game, so maybe it's early in the season. I will keep watching.

I've posted before that watching offensive players during these games I'm often underwhelmed. I could pick a few players I've watched and noticed an elite playmaking ability.
I've seen him a few times over the past 2 years. IMO he will simply be too good to keep off the field and will be a star. Lacrosse IQ is very high.

I've seen him a few times over the past 2 years. IMO he will simply be too good to keep off the field and will be a star. Lacrosse IQ is very high.
When I watch him, I see someone who will benefit from having dynamic offensive players around him. I don't know if he's a dynamic player that will make others around him better. I agree that he could be very productive in college.

The comparison that makes sense to me is Dylan Donahue. Smart, skilled, good off-ball, doesn't make mistakes, but not a really dynamic player that makes others around him better. I think Donahue really benefitted from having Marasco in 2013 and Rice 2013-2015. 2016, Donahue had the keys to the offense, and he played admirably, but SU had trouble breaking some teams down, especially towards the end of the season.

When I watch him, I see someone who will benefit from having dynamic offensive players around him. I don't know if he's a dynamic player that will make others around him better. I agree that he could be very productive in college.

The comparison that makes sense to me is Dylan Donahue. Smart, skilled, good off-ball, doesn't make mistakes, but not a really dynamic player that makes others around him better. I think Donahue really benefitted from having Marasco in 2013 and Rice 2013-2015. 2016, Donahue had the keys to the offense, and he played admirably, but SU had trouble breaking some teams down, especially towards the end of the season.
ohmi - His crosse control and hand speed reminded me of Keogh and the Thompsons. I believe he could end up as a crease attack who can astonish for SU.

ohmi - His crosse control and hand speed reminded me of Keogh and the Thompsons. I believe he could end up as a crease attack who can astonish for SU.
Yeah, he's got good, soft hands.

Just curious, did you see him live? For everest academy or something else?

Losing talents such as Tucker and Curry hurts but expecting next years offense to be more diversified and harder to cover as a whole . Gait is going to have the personnel to employ his ways

Saw him play for Edge at a tournament and saw him play Jr A box up near Toronto in the summer.
That’s cool! There are some games of him playing box on YouTube too. It really shows off his hands/vision as a passer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom