Class of 2018 - New Commit: Griffin Cook (NY:Jamesville-Dewitt) Attack Signed | Page 10 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2018 New Commit: Griffin Cook (NY:Jamesville-Dewitt) Attack Signed

Trap game, Auburn is TOUGH team, very physical and now have all their players integrated since hockey team finished final 4 run in states. JD won ugly, both goalies were making saves all night that you may see a couple times a game; absolutely robbed attack on both sides repeatedly. Next up for JD - Fairport Saturday evening at JD, rescheduled from early April.

Trap game, Auburn is TOUGH team, very physical and now have all their players integrated since hockey team finished final 4 run in states. JD won ugly, both goalies were making saves all night that you may see a couple times a game; absolutely robbed attack on both sides repeatedly. Next up for JD - Fairport Saturday evening at JD, rescheduled from early April.

Watch it again: Jamesville-DeWitt vs Auburn

Curious to hear who people think has the inside track for the third attack spot this year? To me, if Staats does not come to SU, there are three candidates: Brad Voigt, Owen Seebold and Griffin Cook. Mikey Berkman would be my dark horse, but admittedly I know the least about the young Floridian's game.

Voigt - Not the flashiest pick, but as a "finisher" he probably the most compatible with Rehfuss (passer) and Solomon (dodger). He seemed to start the year off strong, but faded down the stretch, and the one game he did start did not go well for the offense (against Hopkins). I think he would be a much better player if those around him were superstar caliber (think of how Matt Gaudet at Yale is with Ben Reeves); but alas his talents might be wasted since the offense lacks that next level quarterback.

Seebold - Saw time with the regular offense as a fifth attack man, but didn't register a point. In his only extended minutes against Colgate I did not come away super impressed. Looks like has very good ball protection skills but he never did anything that jumped off the page. I think he is supposed to be a quarterback type player but that role is already taken by Rehfuss. Think he needs to bulk up to take advantage of his frame - feels like he should have redshirted last year.

Cook - The most exciting prospect based on his skill set, and youth always brings great promise (I expected Seebold to be the second coming of Pat Spencer this time last year). But again his skill set might already be too closely aligned with someone already in the starting lineup (Solomon). Size is a concern as well, Solomon is not big and Rehfuss is quite skinny. You worry this unit would be pushed around with the 5'7 Cook at the third spot.

My conclusion is that, I think attack units work best with a quarterback, a dodger and a finisher, and hence Voigt would be my unexciting pick. Certainly interested in what others think!

Curious to hear who people think has the inside track for the third attack spot this year? To me, if Staats does not come to SU, there are three candidates: Brad Voigt, Owen Seebold and Griffin Cook. Mikey Berkman would be my dark horse, but admittedly I know the least about the young Floridian's game.

Voigt - Not the flashiest pick, but as a "finisher" he probably the most compatible with Rehfuss (passer) and Solomon (dodger). He seemed to start the year off strong, but faded down the stretch, and the one game he did start did not go well for the offense (against Hopkins). I think he would be a much better player if those around him were superstar caliber (think of how Matt Gaudet at Yale is with Ben Reeves); but alas his talents might be wasted since the offense lacks that next level quarterback.

Seebold - Saw time with the regular offense as a fifth attack man, but didn't register a point. In his only extended minutes against Colgate I did not come away super impressed. Looks like has very good ball protection skills but he never did anything that jumped off the page. I think he is supposed to be a quarterback type player but that role is already taken by Rehfuss. Think he needs to bulk up to take advantage of his frame - feels like he should have redshirted last year.

Cook - The most exciting prospect based on his skill set, and youth always brings great promise (I expected Seebold to be the second coming of Pat Spencer this time last year). But again his skill set might already be too closely aligned with someone already in the starting lineup (Solomon). Size is a concern as well, Solomon is not big and Rehfuss is quite skinny. You worry this unit would be pushed around with the 5'7 Cook at the third spot.

My conclusion is that, I think attack units work best with a quarterback, a dodger and a finisher, and hence Voigt would be my unexciting pick. Certainly interested in what others think!

I feel like I've always been pretty good at picking the starters and I haven't the slightest idea about next year.

Cook - The most exciting prospect based on his skill set, and youthways brings great promise (I expected Seebold to be the second coming of Pat Spencer this time last year). But again his skill set might already be too closely aligned with someone already in the starting lineup (Solomon). Size is a concern as well, Solomon is not big and Rehfuss is quite skinny. You worry this unit would be pushed around with the 5'7 Cook at the third spot.

Voight and Bomberry were not complementary as both are slower players who dont dodge so can not judge Voight's potential as starter off that game. Not multi dimensional but has talent with good hands, a really quick release and one of the best rips on team. He moves the ball fairly well and hustles his ss off. Think he could adequately replace Bomberry's role and production.
Counter will be that we need a more potent trio than last year if we are to take the next step.Either as starter or rotation, Voight should be valuable part of the puzzle

Have to say this , spilt milk but simply painful to ponder what could have been this year with Winaskaus.

As far as plug ins , Austin Staats is viewed as the panacea but perhaps NY based Zach Miller ( believe he has year of eligibility left ) might be interested in return to field.

Other potential candidates on team with prior experience and established credentials now in place are Curry, Dordevic and Lipka, one could be shifted down if mid group over flows and allows. Another is Lynch who looked increasingly comfortable near season end. No nothing about Cook other than the raves read here but your point about that physical size of that grouping may push that off until Solomon graduates

Voigt is a nice 4th attackmen and man up guy but he's not a starter at attack at least on this squad. Voigt is a crease/mid range finisher who can't dodge but can move off ball a bit. If SU had a Rice, or Powell or Nims on the team along with a strong 2nd attack-men then he would be a perfect 3rd attack-men to feed when the first two drew a slide but this team doesn't have anyone like that at this point.

If you assume Staats doesn't make it here ( if he does problem solved) then you have a very interesting race for the third spot. I wasn't surprised Seebold struggled, the comp level in Texas is not great and it was a pretty big jump from that to D1. I thought he looked OK in limited minutes but had that classic deer in the head lights look. He probably should have red-shirted.

For me its gotta be Cook. Kid brings all the intangibles. UA, top flight school, top end competition, can be a scorer or a feeder, and just has that "it" quality. Berkman is a bit of wild card and could come into play as well. Also the staff could really try and throw a wrench by moving Curry or Dordevic to Attack but I see no reason to do that.

For me the answer is either Staats or Cook.

Voight and Bomberry were not complementary as both are slower players who dont dodge so can not judge Voight's potential as starter off that game. Not multi dimensional but has talent with good hands, a really quick release and one of the best rips on team. He moves the ball fairly well and hustles his ss off. Think he could adequately replace Bomberry's role and production.
Counter will be that we need a more potent trio than last year if we are to take the next step.Either as starter or rotation, Voight should be valuable part of the puzzle

Have to say this , spilt milk but simply painful to ponder what could have been this year with Winaskaus.

As far as plug ins , Austin Staats is viewed as the panacea but perhaps NY based Zach Miller ( believe he has year of eligibility left ) might be interested in return to field.

Other potential candidates on team with prior experience and established credentials now in place are Curry, Dordevic and Lipka, one could be shifted down if mid group over flows and allows. Another is Lynch who looked increasingly comfortable near season end. No nothing about Cook other than the raves read here but your point about that physical size of that grouping may push that off until Solomon graduates

Zach Millers eligibility is gone as of this semester, his college days are over.

Maybe your using a nickname but who the heck is Lynch?

Zach Millers eligibility is gone as of this semester, his college days are over.
Thanks. My understanding is he left Denver n did not play fourth year in 2017 so he could return to NY home and be with daughter. Two years removed and have not seen his name in MLL or NLL listings. Dont fully understand eligibility rules , did he have to play his fourth college season within five years?

Thanks. My understanding is he left Denver n did not play fourth year in 2017 so he could return to NY home and be with daughter. Two years removed and have not seen his name in MLL or NLL listings. Dont fully understand eligibility rules , did he have to play his fourth college season within five years?

5 year window to play 4.

His is now closed.

Yes 5 to play 4, once the clocks starts it doesn't stop. If you don't start it you can play college in your 30's if you want but once you start it you can't stop it.

Is Cook comparable to Rice? Rice was also not the biggest kid but became a star. Circumstances/opportunities differ but Rice did not see much of the field in his freshman year.

Is Cook comparable to Rice? Rice was also not the biggest kid but became a star. Circumstances/opportunities differ but Rice did not see much of the field in his freshman year.

Cook to me is more of a scorer then Rice is/was but much like Rice he seems to be a smart/heady player who just gets "it". Cook is obviously a much more heralded prospect but there is some similarity in their games. Cook is more in the mold of an overall 5 tool player like a Powell ( not saying he's anywhere close to Mike or Casey or Ryan) and that he can score and distribute and do the intangibles. Rice could score but his greatest asset was his ability to feed and distribute and be that great QB type attackmen.

I should note while he did see some PT his Sophmore year in 2013, Rice didn't really get major minutes until his Jr. year when he obviously broke out in a big way.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom