Class of 2018 - New Commit: Griffin Cook (NY:Jamesville-Dewitt) Attack Signed | Page 11 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2018 New Commit: Griffin Cook (NY:Jamesville-Dewitt) Attack Signed

No Staats. Cook or Curry only options to be a championship level team. A look at the 4 teams left in the Tourny you have Reeves, Fields, Gutterding, Kelly. It is almost impossible to win it all without a dominant attackman. Of the options I think Curry will be the best player next year. That is not to say he will be the best attackman, but you can't teach speed. Dordevic to me is a pure midfielder. I don't see him working at attack.

No Staats. Cook or Curry only options to be a championship level team. A look at the 4 teams left in the Tourny you have Reeves, Fields, Gutterding, Kelly. It is almost impossible to win it all without a dominant attackman. Of the options I think Curry will be the best player next year. That is not to say he will be the best attackman, but you can't teach speed. Dordevic to me is a pure midfielder. I don't see him working at attack.

Are you saying No to Staats making it here or no to him in General ( pretty sure I know your answer but just want to clarify).

I agree with your thoughts about speed but I don't see them moving Curry right now. There's already going to be a bit of log jam at attack (and thats assuming Staats doesn't make it here). Curry struggled a bit with getting down the nuances of playing the 1st mid line at this level but he came on toward the end of the year and I think the staff has high hopes for him working exclusively at midfield this fall and into next year. Curry or Berkman would make much more sense for that third attack spot or perhaps a transfer that we pull in over the summer Staats or someone else. With all the midfield depth the staff could also try and move an incoming middie like a Diebald or someone else and see if they can learn to play attack. As for Dordevic I doubt they would move him but he played both attack and midfield in highschool and has extensive experience as an attackmen.

Cook to me is more of a scorer then Rice is/was but much like Rice he seems to be a smart/heady player who just gets "it". Cook is obviously a much more heralded prospect but there is some similarity in their games. Cook is more in the mold of an overall 5 tool player like a Powell ( not saying he's anywhere close to Mike or Casey or Ryan) and that he can score and distribute and do the intangibles. Rice could score but his greatest asset was his ability to feed and distribute and be that great QB type attackmen.

I should note while he did see some PT his Sophmore year in 2013, Rice didn't really get major minutes until his Jr. year when he obviously broke out in a big way.

Ok!!! Now you have me excited about this kid. Im biased towards a freshman recruit than a transfer in because its four years vs two and there is more of a homegrown feel to it for me. We have a local kid in Chatham, NJ named Mac Bredahl who sounds very similar as he is smaller kid but with amazingly quickness and possesses that athletic gift that few have. Excels in 3 sports, lax, golf, bball, simply an amazing player despite size and was hoping that one of local Cuse eyes would see and refer him as they have with some other Jerseyans as I was convinced that he could play well here . Kid was recruited by Villanova before switching to Tufts so he could play lax and golf (scratch) Cook has obviously strucked you the same way and has national standing. Be rooting for him! Cant wait for 19 to begin.

Sounds like a one dimensional attack, if Cook starts. But as others have mentioned, not many options on the roster. Maybe they will focus on roster development this offseason.

Are you saying No to Staats making it here or no to him in General ( pretty sure I know your answer but just want to clarify).

I agree with your thoughts about speed but I don't see them moving Curry right now. There's already going to be a bit of log jam at attack (and thats assuming Staats doesn't make it here). Curry struggled a bit with getting down the nuances of playing the 1st mid line at this level but he came on toward the end of the year and I think the staff has high hopes for him working exclusively at midfield this fall and into next year. Curry or Berkman would make much more sense for that third attack spot or perhaps a transfer that we pull in over the summer Staats or someone else. With all the midfield depth the staff could also try and move an incoming middie like a Diebald or someone else and see if they can learn to play attack. As for Dordevic I doubt they would move him but he played both attack and midfield in highschool and has extensive experience as an attackmen.
Sorry for the confusion I purely meant if Staats does not come. I think our starting 6 is a no brainer if he were to transfer in. If he does not, I want Cook to be that third attackman. He would be my first choice. Elite attackman out of high school are ready year one in our current D1 lacrosse climate. If he is that I want him in right away. I'm purely saying I think if I had to choose one player to dodge at the end of the game I would choose Curry. I think next year he will be a better player than any of our attack replacements ( Cook, Seebold, Berkman, and Voigt). That's not to say the best 6 players on the field isn't one of those names at attack. I believe David Lipka could play on the first line. In this scenario one first liner has to move down. To me Curry has the highest ceiling of any offensive player on this team. Potential isn't always reached of course. The best outcome is Staats, second best is a freshman that can play year one. If one of the freshman just isn't ready though we already have 6 talented offensive players. That's where I like Curry at attack. I like him better at Middie but if we are looking to put the top 6 maybe he needs to move down.

Did Curry play attack in High School and Club ?

Don't know about club, but he started his high school career as an attackman. He was "Wally Pipp'ed" due to injuries though and was moved to midfield. Personally I think the smart thing to do is keep him at midfield where he can be matched up with a short stick. Syracuse offensive players are also rotated around the field so much so that it hardly matters who is technically a midfielder, and who is an attackman.

From the sounds of it, it seems like the winner of this very early battle is Cook. A bit surprised that Seebold is being dismissed so thoroughly. A lot can change for a player between freshmen and sophomore year.

One idea that I like is Lucas "don't call me Lynch" Quinn being moved to attack. One of my great frustrations last season was that the freshmen didn't get a lot of playing time. I always thought he was a threat to score when he was on the field. Hoping that he makes his way onto at least the second midfield this season, but a poster last year had mentioned that he was getting runs with the attack in the early pre-season. His shot is unlike any other the team and he could do a lot of damage on fast breaks.

Last point - Jeremey hinted to this, but this roster is going to be very young. The coaching staff will have a hard time yet again keeping everyone happy. What do you tell incoming recruits when your starting midfield could potentially see five of the six heavy rotation guys being just sophomores (Curry, Dordovic, Quinn, Lipksa, Buttermore), and the other only a junior (Trimboli)?

You can move an attackman to midfield but it's way more difficult to move a middie to attack. It's a completely different animal to expect a kid who hasn't learned the naunces of playing attack to actually now go play attack in college. My 2 cents.

Keep Curry at midfield. Same thing with Quinn - he never played attack at Nisky - his game is dodging in space from the top.

Don't know about club, but he started his high school career as an attackman. He was "Wally Pipp'ed" due to injuries though and was moved to midfield. Personally I think the smart thing to do is keep him at midfield where he can be matched up with a short stick. Syracuse offensive players are also rotated around the field so much so that it hardly matters who is technically a midfielder, and who is an attackman.

From the sounds of it, it seems like the winner of this very early battle is Cook. A bit surprised that Seebold is being dismissed so thoroughly. A lot can change for a player between freshmen and sophomore year.

One idea that I like is Lucas "don't call me Lynch" Quinn being moved to attack. One of my great frustrations last season was that the freshmen didn't get a lot of playing time. I always thought he was a threat to score when he was on the field. Hoping that he makes his way onto at least the second midfield this season, but a poster last year had mentioned that he was getting runs with the attack in the early pre-season. His shot is unlike any other the team and he could do a lot of damage on fast breaks.

Last point - Jeremey hinted to this, but this roster is going to be very young. The coaching staff will have a hard time yet again keeping everyone happy. What do you tell incoming recruits when your starting midfield could potentially see five of the six heavy rotation guys being just sophomores (Curry, Dordovic, Quinn, Lipksa, Buttermore), and the other only a junior (Trimboli)?

dont forget Lynch as well

Meet the All-CNY High School Players of the Year for 2017-18 and other award winners

cd3_griffincookboyslacrosse.JPG

Boys lacrosse: Griffin Cook (Jamesville-DeWitt)
The senior scored 54 goals and added 46 assists while leading his team to a 14-4 record this season. He finishes his high school career with 242 goals and 137 assists. He played on three sectional champion teams. The Red Rams went on to win a state title in 2016 and finish second in 2017. He is headed to Syracuse University to play lacrosse.

Meet the 2018 All-CNY boys lacrosse team

e56_20180620dnallcnyboyslax.jpeg

Player of the Year: Griffin Cook (Jamesville-DeWitt)
Senior
Position: Attack/Midfield
What's next? Lacrosse at Syracuse University
Best moment of the season: Playing Fortnite with Coach Ike
Who inspires you? Peter Fiorini because he is phenomenal at Karaoke
What's your go-to warm-up song? Dreams and Nightmares - Meek Mill
The last thing you say before taking the field: Here we go boys

Undersized yet extremely productive, Cook uses an elite first step to his advantage but doesn't always need the ball to be successful.

As Cook continues to develop, there's no doubt that he'll throw his name in the hat when it comes to competing for minutes on the Orange attack. Definitely one of the better scorers in the Class of 2018.

They have some more highlights up of the individual games.
Danny Maltz (#3 in Black) has a couple goals.
Those Rutgers midfielders:
#6 Carter #7 Sprock #8 Stevenson in Black looks pretty good
Sprock and Stevenson are 2018s, so we will see them this coming Spring. That Stevenson is certainly a moose, let's see 6'3", 225lbs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom