New commit? | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

New commit?

Surprised no one is talking about this:

"Allen, who plans to graduate from Temple in December, on Wednesday night verbally committed to attend Syracuse starting next January and to play for the Orange beginning in the 2013 season."

That's a real big deal, he gets to compete for the spot against Hunt, Kinder & Austin right away. Broyld will be the Mohamed Sanu of SU by that time.
From

I have no idea on the Sanu point, but I do agree that if he actually arrives in January, it would be huge. I'm not sure it actually means he'd be in the mix but it would certainly provide him with a good opportunity.

Great another QB Let me know when we sign some linemen to protect all these QB's

This is a good point. I mean, with the success we've had recruiting QBs, it would seem pointless to sign more than one in a class. Particularly if they are both recruits because then you're stuck having an awkward conversation with one where you have to have him move positions. Like with Kevin Johnson -- he just shouldn't have been recruited at all once we got McNabb. What good did that do us?

Defeatist attitude.

Defeatist attitude? Not quite. More like having a realistic attitude. A Texas QB who sounds like he's going to blow up , has two BCS offers - Syracuse and Minnesota - and commits to Syracuse in May. It's a looong time between now and signing day and Syracuse is a long way from home.

Defeatist attitude? Not quite. More like having a realistic attitude. A Texas QB who sounds like he's going to blow up , has two BCS offers - Syracuse and Minnesota - and commits to Syracuse in May. It's a looong time between now and signing day and Syracuse is a long way from home.

I agree, however he is an early enrollee, so we don't have to wait all the way till February... January is one more sooner! ;)

All I'm saying is I wouldn't want you doing any of my recruiting or marketing if I'm a D1 school.

Syracuse has a TON to offer. Especially to a kid who is not valued properly by Texas schools. Not to mention a great education and a chance at early playing time.

Not everyone wants to play at the Texas schools. I guarantee you that.

I just find it ridiculous that, despite what warts our athletic department has, some of you can't see that Syracuse is a viable D1 opportunity for a lot of great athletes.

Our basketball team has developed over the last 10 years into a Top 10 program year-in and year-out, our cross country team is ranked in the Top 25. Heck, the softball team was ranked a lot of the year, made the NCAA Tournament and was one game away from Super Regionals with crap facilities.

Yes, facilities matter. No, Syracuse does not have the best in the country. Not even close. But the Debbie Downer attitude that is prevalent amongst a lot of the fan base needs to stop. It wears off on a lot of people and makes the warts that the coaches have to overcome to recruit the best and the brightest seem like mountain ranges.

All I'm saying is I wouldn't want you doing any of my recruiting or marketing if I'm a D1 school.

Syracuse has a TON to offer. Especially to a kid who is not valued properly by Texas schools. Not to mention a great education and a chance at early playing time.

Not everyone wants to play at the Texas schools. I guarantee you that.

I just find it ridiculous that, despite what warts our athletic department has, some of you can't see that Syracuse is a viable D1 opportunity for a lot of great athletes.

Our basketball team has developed over the last 10 years into a Top 10 program year-in and year-out, our cross country team is ranked in the Top 25. Heck, the softball team was ranked a lot of the year, made the NCAA Tournament and was one game away from Super Regionals with crap facilities.

Yes, facilities matter. No, Syracuse does not have the best in the country. Not even close. But the Debbie Downer attitude that is prevalent amongst a lot of the fan base needs to stop. It wears off on a lot of people and makes the warts that the coaches have to overcome to recruit the best and the brightest seem like mountain ranges.

You only have to look to last year's recruiting class to see 2 verbals, Tashon Whitehurst and Leroy Owens, who decided to stay home when a comparable or in Owens case a less comparable opportunity arose to do that. There's nothing defeatist about realizing that recruits that live 1000's of miles away are at a greater risk of decommitting to play closer to home.

Now on the flip side, Whigham had a Miami offer late and stuck with his Syracuse commit and a few years back Jeremi Wilkes stuck with his commit even though he had an FSU offer, both being Florida recruits. I think the staff has done a pretty good job of hanging on to commits, but then again, when you look at the "long distance" recruits over the last 3 or so years, none of the Georgia recruits had Ga Tech or UGA offers, most of the Florida recruits did not have FSU, UF, or Miami offers, and the only Texas recruit we've had, Copa, wasn't even offered by ANY of the BCS Texas schools. We haven't really seen a recruiting situation yet with this staff where a southern verbal subsequently blew up and received multiple SEC/Big 12 type offers after his commit to SU.

You only have to look to last year's recruiting class to see 2 verbals, Tashon Whitehurst and Leroy Owens, who decided to stay home when a comparable or in Owens case a less comparable opportunity arose to do that. There's nothing defeatist about realizing that recruits that live 1000's of miles away are at a greater risk of decommitting to play closer to home.

Now on the flip side, Whigham had a Miami offer late and stuck with his Syracuse commit and a few years back Jeremi Wilkes stuck with his commit even though he had an FSU offer, both being Florida recruits. I think the staff has done a pretty good job of hanging on to commits, but then again, when you look at the "long distance" recruits over the last 3 or so years, none of the Georgia recruits had Ga Tech or UGA offers, most of the Florida recruits did not have FSU, UF, or Miami offers, and the only Texas recruit we've had, Copa, wasn't even offered by ANY of the BCS Texas schools. We haven't really seen a recruiting situation yet with this staff where a southern verbal subsequently blew up and received multiple SEC/Big 12 type offers after his commit to SU.
SU pulled Owens offer and I think he may have never even been a commit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoachDiddi

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom