New Depth Chart? | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

New Depth Chart?

WR and LB are thin experience wise as we all thought but that said the depth looks pretty good and solid.

Harris is the first name we know out of the young guns at WR, love to see him seize this.

Always worried about long snaps, hope we don't even notice this Friday.

DL looks like a beast, especially if all are healthy.

As some have mentioned, Lester loves his Play Action Pass, I'm sure he is devising ways to expose the middle with those.

I think Vettorello was a really good recruit and didn't get a lot of board hype. Had reported offers from Boston College, Illinois, Iowa, Iowa State, Kentucky, Minnesota, Oregon State, Pitt, Purdue and Vanderbilt.

Agreed. Not that losing Sampson was in any way a plus, but to bounce back with a recruit of this caliber was a tremendous "win" for the coaching staff.

I think Vettorello was a really good recruit and didn't get a lot of board hype. Had reported offers from Boston College, Illinois, Iowa, Iowa State, Kentucky, Minnesota, Oregon State, Pitt, Purdue and Vanderbilt.
Another Babers magic rabbit pulled from a hat

Comparing the 7/18 chart to 8/31:

- As said, it's interesting that Harris was the first of the true freshmen to make the two deep for the opener. He won't be the only one that will be heard from. The 7/18 chart had four wide receiver positions and now we have three, so there's not necessarily a demotion involved, I find it hard to believe that Sean Riley will be a starter for long and Custis still hasn't done anything yet.

- Chris Elmore is off the DL two deep and now is listed as a tight end. I don't want to see him running a pass pattern. I still think DL is his future.

- The deck has been shuffled a built on the OL two deep but I don't think it matters. They will alternate and can play multiple positions. I'm looking forward to see Dakota Davis play.

- We will now have three linebackers so the 4-2-5 experiment is over, although we may be in that set up for some situations. it wasn't going to work against power running games like BC's.

- We still have Sean Riley, who has never returned a kick for a score. Antwan Cordy has never returned a kick period. Shy Cullen is a linebacker- and athletic on,e but a line backer. Where are the Johnsons and the other young receivers? Were is Atrilleon Williams, Eh-FAN-too Mel-eh-FON-wu and Eric Coley?

I called the latter question into Orange Nation, which had Julian Whigham on. Julian totally agreed that big kick returns were important and can turn games around, although he feels they are more likely to come on punt returns than kick-off returns. he thinks Riley does a good job of catching the ball and not making mistakes and says that coaches tend to favor that over explosive returns. He described his frustration when Ritchy Desir used to return kicks - but not for very much. when Brisley Estime came in, the coaches had to adjust to his ability and his desire to make big plays. They talked about how we couldn't have won the Texas Bowl without Bris. Julian wants to see more of that and really wants to see Trill Williams out there. But he said that Antwan Cordy "is the most explosive athlete on the team and that overrides any potential for injury. He didn't discuss the use of Cullen, who i suspect will be used as a blocker and adviser on whether to return the ball, (so that Riley can concentrate on catching it). The problem with that is the same problem with having just one running back: if the kicking team knows who we want to return the ball, they can concentrate fully on that guy - or they can kick it to the other guy, knowing that's not the guy we want to have the ball.

- As said, it's interesting that Harris was the first of the true freshmen to make the two deep for the opener. He won't be the only one that will be heard from. The 7/18 chart had four wide receiver positions and now we have three, so there's not necessarily a demotion involved, I find it hard to believe that Sean Riley will be a starter for long and Custis still hasn't done anything yet.

- Chris Elmore is off the DL two deep and now is listed as a tight end. I don't want to see him running a pass pattern. I still think DL is his future.

- The deck has been shuffled a built on the OL two deep but I don't think it matters. They will alternate and can play multiple positions. I'm looking forward to see Dakota Davis play.

- We will now have three linebackers so the 4-2-5 experiment is over, although we may be in that set up for some situations. it wasn't going to work against power running games like BC's.

- We still have Sean Riley, who has never returned a kick for a score. Antwan Cordy has never returned a kick period. Shy Cullen is a linebacker- and athletic on,e but a line backer. Where are the Johnsons and the other young receivers? Were is Atrilleon Williams, Eh-FAN-too Mel-eh-FON-wu and Eric Coley?

I called the latter question into Orange Nation, which had Julian Whigham on. Julian totally agreed that big kick returns were important and can turn games around, although he feels they are more likely to come on punt returns than kick-off returns. he thinks Riley does a good job of catching the ball and not making mistakes and says that coaches tend to favor that over explosive returns. He described his frustration when Ritchy Desir used to return kicks - but not for very much. when Brisley Estime came in, the coaches had to adjust to his ability and his desire to make big plays. They talked about how we couldn't have won the Texas Bowl without Bris. Julian wants to see more of that and really wants to see Trill Williams out there. But he said that Antwan Cordy "is the most explosive athlete on the team and that overrides any potential for injury. He didn't discuss the use of Cullen, who i suspect will be used as a blocker and adviser on whether to return the ball, (so that Riley can concentrate on catching it). The problem with that is the same problem with having just one running back: if the kicking team knows who we want to return the ball, they can concentrate fully on that guy - or they can kick it to the other guy, knowing that's not the guy we want to have the ball.

I think you're mistaken on a lot of these takes.

Custis has "done" more than any of our other WR's.
That's not a very high bar, admittedly.

Elmore will likely be FB/HB/whatever you want to call it, not truly a TE.
Just like last year.

CMU is a running team, so it make sense that we go 4-3 vs. them.
I highly doubt the 4-2-5 experiment is over, just delayed until we face a spread offense.

While I agree that Riley isn't a great return man, let's see what Cordy can do.
Shy is there for blocking. Period.
But - he's also really fast, so if he gets the ball, it could be "interesting" for the opponents coverage team to try to take him down.

Agreed that ideally we'd give Trill or one of the other more explosive young guys a shot there.

I think you're mistaken on a lot of these takes.

Custis has "done" more than any of our other WR's.
That's not a very high bar, admittedly.

Elmore will likely be FB/HB/whatever you want to call it, not truly a TE.
Just like last year.

CMU is a running team, so it make sense that we go 4-3 vs. them.
I highly doubt the 4-2-5 experiment is over, just delayed until we face a spread offense.

While I agree that Riley isn't a great return man, let's see what Cordy can do.
Shy is there for blocking. Period.
But - he's also really fast, so if he gets the ball, it could be "interesting" for the opponents coverage team to try to take him down.

Agreed that ideally we'd give Trill or one of the other more explosive young guys a shot there.

Some good takes there, but we aren't playing CMU. ;)

From day one I thought Taj and Trill were the best two athletes in the freshman class. I'm not surprise to see Taj in the two deep. I thought his WR film as a sophomore was great.

From day one I thought Taj and Trill were the best two athletes in the freshman class. I'm not surprise to see Taj in the two deep. I thought his WR film as a sophomore was great.
For sure. Kid is going to be deadly on quick WR screens similar to Amba. He will take one of those to the house if he gets some reps.

Can't wait to see him so I can form an opinion .

It’d make my year to see riley let Shy take one against BC and watch him brutalize some lesser sissy men
No one has kicked one to him yet, which I find amazing. I want the first one someone kicks to him to go to the house. And then it'll be like, yeah, dont kick it to 24.

Taj as a punt returner would be something I really want to see eventually. Not as a freshman of course. But his shiftiness is something we have not had in a long, long time.

Actually, Taj is more of the go up and get it type receiver MW was. He has very good speed, but I wouldn’t consider him a burner like KJ was.

I will say this, we got 4 very good ones in this class between Harris, Queeley, Hendrix, and Lutz. I have heard that Cooper has come on rather strong the last couple of weeks and will eventually be a good one as well.

I mean it's not like Riley is a slouch returning kicks. He had essentially the 3rd longest yards per attempt in the ACC last year. With a long of 64.

Returns for touchdowns seem rare these days. And the numbers support that. Only 5 in the ACC last year by 3 different guys

catch the punts.. dont make stupid plays, and take the yards that are given to you.. everything else is gravy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoachDiddi

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom