New Draftexpress Mock: Tyus Battle #35 | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

New Draftexpress Mock: Tyus Battle #35

I think we put too much stock on these websites. They are essentially buzz meters. As all the recent scandals show, the draft and free agency can be dirty too when it comes to the games being played by agents and teams, and that includes manipulating mock drafts at times. Even the seasoned reporters get played or willingly used in exchange for scoops. It’s how a lot of good reporters make connections. And it happens in other reporting fields just as much as basketball. You’d be surprised at the horse trading that goes on in business / M&A reporting too.

All that said I agree Tyus’ Individual workouts and combine performances will determine his draft position. Don’t think he benefits from coming back. He’s been double teamed so much this year and I think being the number one option has shown scouts both his strengths and weaknesses. He’s a great kid and I’ll be rooting for his success.

I think of all our recent kids, sans Malachi and of course Dion, he still has a lot of potential and would be a great value pick in the early second or late first. Think he can get to the second contract in right situation and do well carving out an NBA career. Not sure how another year at Syracuse would really improve his stock unless scouts do rate NCAA games that highly.

Tyus could shine next year given the fact the court will be so spread with teams having to focus on Bazley and Brissett, along with Frank and Carey to help carry the load at the guard spot BUT he could also be overshadowed by two guys playing as potential lottery picks.

Bottom Line, I'm super excited he gets a chance to shine on the big stage and if he's projected as a guaranteed second with the ability to jump into the first...he's got to go.

Wo
I would expect Battle to go between 25-40.

The Ayton / Doncic discussion will be an interesting one. Wendall Carter is sneaking up the draft board. I think he'll be solid.
would he be top 10 next year?

Tyus could shine next year given the fact the court will be so spread with teams having to focus on Bazley and Brissett, along with Frank and Carey to help carry the load at the guard spot BUT he could also be overshadowed by two guys playing as potential lottery picks.

Bottom Line, I'm super excited he gets a chance to shine on the big stage and if he's projected as a guaranteed second with the ability to jump into the first...he's got to go.
Agree with your bottom line. The only thing more spacing gets him is more ppg. He's not going to get bigger/stronger/faster with another year in college. He could work on going left more, but he can do that in the G-league. His jump shot may or may not need professional rebuilding (and tons of practice if he goes that route), but it might be what works best for him.

How much did Duke pay Grayson Allen to stay past his Sophomore year? His draft stock has not moved in two years.

No doubt Tyus will test the waters. But unless he goes off in the tournament (surrounding cast makes that unlikely), I hope he doesn't hire an agent without a promise. Without an NCAA springboard, there are LOTS of good SG's ahead of him in this draft. He might be 35 in one mock (which is still second round, non-guaranteed), but that's one mock. Many others haven't even listed him. And the second round is very dicey past the first 5 picks or so, especially once they get started with draft-and-stashes. Tyus may jump regardless, but IMO he'd be better off coming back and shining on a better team than struggling to make a roster with no guarantees/G-League, yada yada.

Last edited:
I would expect Battle to go between 25-40.

The Ayton / Doncic discussion will be an interesting one. Wendall Carter is sneaking up the draft board. I think he'll be solid.
Ayton is going 1.
I can’t see anybody passing on him.
Doncic vs. Bagley for 2 is the debate IMO.
Battle is gone though and good for him moving up.

Ayton is going 1.

I don't think bagley goes quite that high.

How much did Duke pay Grayson Allen to stay past his Sophomore year? His draft stock has not moved in two years.

Impossible. Just going back to school improves your draft stock. Everyone knows that.

Givony was on Sirius Ch. 84 yesterday talking about what players in the Tourney scouts and GMs are paying attention to and like the most. He said Bagley is not a top 5 guy right now and potentially slipping. He said they worry about his defense and that he could be a ‘tweener’ in the NBA. He won’t be able to bully people in the paint like in college and his 3pt shooting needs to get better.

They LOVE Ayton and how can you not. He said they have looked a LOT into his background and think he is clean and a good kid. He is a team first player. His hands, footwork, power, and instincts are a once in a decade type of talent he said. He is making short jumpers every game now. He also said Mikal Bridges on Villanova is a guy they love and have no worries about in terms of ‘older’ players. He said they love the system he plays in and that he does everything well. He said he is guy who is an early teens pick.
The Jahlil Okafor effect

Ayton is going 1.

I would take Carter, Bamba and Porter all before Bagley.

I would take Carter, Bamba and Porter all before Bagley.
I see Bagley as Zack Randolph.
He went in the lottery but not top 3.
He is great offensively but like Z-Bo can’t defend a pick and roll well yet.
Maybe he can improve but yeah he isn’t going first.

Ayton is Porzingis like potentially.

I see Bagley as Zack Randolph.
He went in the lottery but not top 3.
He is great offensively but like Z-Bo can’t defend a pick and roll well yet.
Maybe he can improve but yeah he isn’t going first.

Ayton is Porzingis like potentially.

Really? that's an interesting one, Ayton and KP. KP is a relaly good rim protector and can shoot the 3. Ayton is a monster down low. Gotta say I don't see that comp

My semi hot take is that Carter will be a better pro than Bagley.

If the knicks get Trae Young at 9, well, that would make me quite happy.
Knicks want Sexton. They intend to have 12 PGs on the roster next year.

Really? that's an interesting one, Ayton and KP. KP is a relaly good rim protector and can shoot the 3. Ayton is a monster down low. Gotta say I don't see that comp
Ayton is a lot better a shooter than most realize. He just dominates these kids in the post.

Ayton is not Shaq.

My semi hot take is that Carter will be a better pro than Bagley.

If the knicks get Trae Young at 9, well, that would make me quite happy.

It seems the Carter over Bagley deal is starting to gain some momentum. I agree with you

Is sexton regarded as a better candidate then Young?? Both are really good and I just don't look at this stuff all that much

I remember when Tyler Ennis was propelled into the first round after he hit that buzzer beater vs Pitt.
Boy, if that's the case, lots of guys are first rounders. I mean, how many buzzer beaters are there every year. Sure beats scouting, just find the 30- best buzzer beaters, and there is your 1st round.

Ayton is a lot better a shooter than most realize. He just dominates these kids in the post.

Ayton is not Shaq.

Sure, I just don't see him having the consistent 3 point range like KP. The guy is too good in the post to spend a lot of time outside.

It seems the Carter over Bagley deal is starting to gain some momentum. I agree with you

Is s e xton regarded as a better candidate then Young?? Both are really good and I just don't look at this stuff all that much

I prefer Young; S e x ton seems to struggle from 3 point range.

Sure, I just don't see him having the consistent 3 point range like KP. The guy is too good in the post to spend a lot of time outside.

I prefer Young; S e x ton seems to struggle from 3 point range.
Isn’t one of the frustrating thing about KP that he doesn’t post enough?
KP can shoot but doesn’t post enough.
I think Ayton is a post player no doubt but he can shoot. He is going to shoot the ball in the NBA.

Isn’t one of the frustrating thing about KP that he doesn’t post enough?
KP can shoot but doesn’t post enough.
I think Ayton is a post player no doubt but he can shoot. He is going to shoot the ball in the NBA.

Yeah he settles for a lot of long 2's. He's also probably too weak to bang in the paint a lot. Just doesn't seem to describe Ayton

Boy, if that's the case, lots of guys are first rounders. I mean, how many buzzer beaters are there every year. Sure beats scouting, just find the 30- best buzzer beaters, and there is your 1st round.

Not sure if this is serious.

I was not BTW.

Really. By that logic, the NBA would be drafting all the kids that come out of the stands at halftime and hit a halfcourt shot to win a $100 Pizza Hut gift card.

Those who sink the Dunk And Bright chair shot are clearly on the radar.

Ayton is not Shaq.

Yeah, I love Ayton. He travels on the shot from 0:55-1:00 though :cool: switched his pivot foot.