New game-watching bars in NYC | Syracusefan.com

New game-watching bars in NYC

cto

Administrator
Received an email from the NYC Alumni Club. They are replacing the Pour House with two different bars this year. This is from their email:

"Our members have asked us for more game watching venues. Our past ones were too packed you said!! Did you say West Side bar?

"We are pleased to announce Overlook NYC on 44th st and 3rd Ave and Social Bar on 8th Ave and 48th St as the Official Syracuse Game Watching Bars in NYC. Same great drink specials with more TVs, more seats, and more room for SU fans!"

Ugh...the Pourhouse really treated us well. We definitely need multiple bars though because the place gets ridiculously packed for big conference games. But I wish one of the 2 bars was still Pourhouse. Regarding Overlook, I haven't heard the greatest reviews to this point from the football game watches.

Overlook is right where I used to leave. It's on a random side street with no other bars. More centrally located probably as it's right in Midtown. I've only been maybe one or two times but I believe it has a downstairs main bar and a smaller (I think) one upstairs. There's also a big outdoor deck. As far as the so so football reviews, football game watches and basketball are totally different.

Overlook is right where I used to leave. It's on a random side street with no other bars. More centrally located probably as it's right in Midtown. I've only been maybe one or two times but I believe it has a downstairs main bar and a smaller (I think) one upstairs. There's also a big outdoor deck. As far as the so so football reviews, football game watches and basketball are totally different.
Sounds like it's a block from GCT, the Eastside IRT and the 7 train. That sounds like a pretty central, reachable location.

Hey we ran out of seats at Half Moon for the Saturday night UConn game the year before last. 40 people for game watching is pretty good here. Wait til the Duke game. I think we fill the back room, and take over half of the main restaurant. Already have it booked. You better be there. If we got everyone there who are semi regulars at the same time, we would have 60ish people.

ps Matt. All new high def tvs, none of the old crap we dealt with. Have you been since they re did it?

Wow, the Overlook?!? Total dive bar feel when you walk in, but the outdoor deck isn't so bad. Too bad that won't be in use during basketball games, barring a really nice, warm day.

ps Matt. All new high def tvs, none of the old crap we dealt with. Have you been since they re did it?
Hey we ran out of seats at Half Moon for the Saturday night UConn game the year before last. 40 people for game watching is pretty good here. Wait til the Duke game. I think we fill the back room, and take over half of the main restaurant. Already have it booked. You better be there. If we got everyone there who are semi regulars at the same time, we would have 60ish people.
Wish we had the same crowd for football. I was at Penn St. game... it wasn't done then?

East End bar as NKR said is my favorite. Great owners. Spend my New Years there for an invite only scene that's $75 all you can eat and drink from 9-4 (ended up. Closing at 5:30 shhh). Always end up seeing old football players there.
Pourhouse is good but always super crowded.
I would recommend to the alumni: Manhattan Proper. Went there the other day which had a good lay out and was a Bill's bar. Think up scale East End Bar. Little pricey but they do wristband specials for games. I would think they would sell their soul to be a Cuse bar.

Sounds like it's a block from GCT, the Eastside IRT and the 7 train. That sounds like a pretty central, reachable location.

I strolled into the Overlook one Saturday afternoon about 5 or 6 years ago and it was an Oklahoma football bar.

Still think East End does the best job in Manhattan as a genuine Syracuse bar. Impressive amount of Syracuse paraphernalia.

Agreed, I think I'm going to bypass the Big Apple Orange suggestions and hit up East End tomorrow. Can't go wrong there.

Pourhouse dropped us because they're trying to get Florida or some other big state school.

Overlook is fine. Fairly cheap drinks, plenty of TVs and the deck is nice. They put the games on the projectors out there. Only issue has been getting the word out. Great for those of us who head into NYC through GCT, it's a five minute walk.

I know some people who went to Social this weekend, not sure what they thought.

Pourhouse dropped us because they're trying to get Florida or some other big state school.

Overlook is fine. Fairly cheap drinks, plenty of TVs and the deck is nice. They put the games on the projectors out there. Only issue has been getting the word out. Great for those of us who head into NYC through GCT, it's a five minute walk.

I know some people who went to Social this weekend, not sure what they thought.

Then the Pourhouse is run by morons because during bball season, we pack the whole bar for pretty much the whole conference season. No way Florida bball has that type of following. Pourhouse was never a Syracuse football game-watching spot so I'm not sure why they would drop us during bball season. Its also a Kansas bar and they have a nice following there but nothing like Cuse. That makes no sense to me.

For football, East End was good for the NC State game. 30 dollars all you can drink deal during the game and sound. Needless to say, Im not testing fate by going anywhere else for the Ga Tech game.

Then the Pourhouse is run by morons because during bball season, we pack the whole bar for pretty much the whole conference season. No way Florida bball has that type of following. Pourhouse was never a Syracuse football game-watching spot so I'm not sure why they would drop us during bball season. Its also a Kansas bar and they have a nice following there but nothing like Cuse. That makes no sense to me.

For football, East End was good for the NC State game. 30 dollars all you can drink deal during the game and sound. Needless to say, Im not testing fate by going anywhere else for the Ga Tech game.

The worst and dumbest decision a bar ever made regarding SU game watching was when the Hill decided to bump us for a Cornell NCAA tournament game. They threw away a loyal crowd for a one off event.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

When I try to start a thread it says enter a valid message. Does anyone know why this is happening. Also is anyone else having problems with taptalk, it won't let me login.

Real bummer about the pourhouse, though it seemed that once Bar 29 shut down the pourhouse was almost too crowded for me.

OVERLOOK is a few blocks from where I live. It's a nice place. I remember once I tried to find enough people to play a friendly game of low-limit hold'em. I finally found some in my apartment building and we would play once a week. The deal was rotated around the table. A lot of fun plus soft drinks and popcorn. Some people moved away so the game folded. If anyone is interested, let me know.

The worst and dumbest decision a bar ever made regarding SU game watching was when the Hill decided to bump us for a Cornell NCAA tournament game. They threw away a loyal crowd for a one off event.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

Yup, I was a regular at The Hill and actually though it was rather loungy for a game watch place, had a great repoire with the bartenders there and they hooked our crew up big time. But it was an unforgivable offense when they stiffed us during that Butler game and we all ended up at SideBar. Obviously, that didn't exactly turn out for the best. I haven't set foot in The Hill since.