New Idea - Paulus, O’Toole, Devendorf | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

New Idea - Paulus, O’Toole, Devendorf

I like Devo, but how can anyone say he is more qualified than GMAC. I mean, come on.
Because he’s not currently on the staff, we will choose to just ignore that there is a probably a reason he was working with a JV girls team.

The other threads are getting boring. All saying the same thing. Going to throw another idea on the table.

Personally and sadly, the program needs to be taken down to the studs and be rebuilt as the number one priority is to get the community, the regional coaches and players from high school and the portal excited and energized. If Coach had a great year this year, retired after last year or retired after the last FF, it could have been an internal hand off. Feels like that is not possible now (especially if the downward spiral continues over the next 3 games) as the sentiment is too glum and sour. Plus if they lose 4 + players from this year’s team and then need to scramble in the portal, next year could be a Louisville level disaster.

Personally, I do not believe bringing in a national candidate is necessarily the answer. Really need someone who is embraced on the East Coast with deep roots on the East Coast.

So, how about the following….Greg Paulus as head coach, Tim O’Toole as associate head coach and Eric Devendorf as assistant coach and big man stud recruiter from the outside as assistant coach. This way you have Syracuse continuity with the former players, long term potential stability, national bonafides given prior experiences, and acceptance / deep relationships with East Coast into the mid Atlantic.

You can if you desire replace Paulus with Matt Rangel (but I believe Paulus would have more buzz). I do think Tim O’Toole is important as someone who has been involved in big time P5 programs, as is Eric for his bad ass swagger and knowledge. Finally need a big man coach who can recruit too….wonder if Carmelo Anthony is up for the task?

Flame away!

Do we play in the Patriot League? Who are you kidding with this?

We need a power player as the next HC. If we go with Red he needs an elite team of assistants next to him. Just look at the talent and personalities of the teams excelling right now.

Need compliant but deep pockets for NIL and and staff that is aggressive, energetic and up to date on recruiting , player relationship management and the most effective tactics in today's version of the game. Let the little guys at smaller schools prove themselves first.

Some conference examples...I'm not sold on Scheyer yet but he proved himself as a recruiter already. He's got some momentum now too on the court with all this talent. Davis at UNC is more of a question mark after his Kevin Ollie like run last year.

Bennett is already locked in as finding the groove between old school and new school. The programs on the rise in the $EC are following a clear model. It's a model most will get left behind in if they don't follow suit.

Autry is a mistake. This isn't Pasqualoni taking over for Coach Mac. This would be like promoting one of Greg Robinson's assistants to take over.

Autry is a mistake. This isn't Pasqualoni taking over for Coach Mac. This would be like promoting one of Greg Robinson's assistants to take over.
Well that’s not true… they couldn’t be more different

I just don't see it either and not trying to toss any shade towards Red.. or at least make sure that there are a number of candidates in a national search interviewed with Red having a shot at it too.

Whether fair or not he and Gerry both have been assistants on a team going through its worst stretch in 50 years. Are they impacted by association and their own shortcomings or have their wings been clipped and potential is far higher if given the reigns? Given where we are feels like a gamble to assume it's all on JB as for our regression. Especially when the slide began when Hop left.

Because he’s not currently on the staff, we will choose to just ignore that there is a probably a reason he was working with a JV girls team.
Yeah - his daughter was on the team.

Yeah - his daughter was on the team.
That’s very nice, but if he was ready to take over Syracuse he wouldn’t be a in position where that’s an option.

That’s about the worst coaching staff I could ever imagine.

Have no idea who Matt Rangel is but I do know who Matt Langel is and I’d take him for sure.

I would love Mick Cronin. Been a fan of his ever since he coached Murray State. Not sure we could afford him though. Makes 4 milly a year.

The other threads are getting boring. All saying the same thing. Going to throw another idea on the table.

Personally and sadly, the program needs to be taken down to the studs and be rebuilt as the number one priority is to get the community, the regional coaches and players from high school and the portal excited and energized. If Coach had a great year this year, retired after last year or retired after the last FF, it could have been an internal hand off. Feels like that is not possible now (especially if the downward spiral continues over the next 3 games) as the sentiment is too glum and sour. Plus if they lose 4 + players from this year’s team and then need to scramble in the portal, next year could be a Louisville level disaster.

Personally, I do not believe bringing in a national candidate is necessarily the answer. Really need someone who is embraced on the East Coast with deep roots on the East Coast.

So, how about the following….Greg Paulus as head coach, Tim O’Toole as associate head coach and Eric Devendorf as assistant coach and big man stud recruiter from the outside as assistant coach. This way you have Syracuse continuity with the former players, long term potential stability, national bonafides given prior experiences, and acceptance / deep relationships with East Coast into the mid Atlantic.

You can if you desire replace Paulus with Matt Rangel (but I believe Paulus would have more buzz). I do think Tim O’Toole is important as someone who has been involved in big time P5 programs, as is Eric for his bad ass swagger and knowledge. Finally need a big man coach who can recruit too….wonder if Carmelo Anthony is up for the task?

Flame away!
No

That’s about the worst coaching staff I could ever imagine.

Have no idea who Matt Rangel is but I do know who Matt Langel is and I’d take him for sure.

I would love Mick Cronin. Been a fan of his ever since he coached Murray State. Not sure we could afford him though. Makes 4 milly a year.
Don’t know why Cronin would leave UCLA, but that would be cool

Well. Devo as your lead recruiter doesn’t work. I’d like him on the staff, but not in that role.

Wouldn’t be opposed to O’toole as a special advisor. But he’s not one of the assistants who hits the road. He’d be our Gene Keady. I’m okay with that.

The Paulus hire is interesting. I’m not sure he’d be the guy….but it would not surprised me if we pass on him and he kills it at his next job and this board will be filled with second guessers saying “why did we pass on him.”

I’ll play:
Jason Hart, head coach/John Beilein, bench coach. GMac or Griff for positional coaches and stud recruiter like Bino Ransum. Buddy as grad assistant, Devo in strength/conditioning assistant role

I’ll play:
Jason Hart, head coach/John Beilein, bench coach. GMac or Griff for positional coaches and stud recruiter like Bino Ransum. Buddy as grad assistant, Devo in strength/conditioning assistant role
That’s the spirit!!

Come on folks….think creatively and work within the framework ADJW has already show he prefers.

Jay Wright. Billy Donovan are not realistic. ADJW values HCs with ties to the University and top quality assistants. Look at the WBB staff. Look at the assistants for mens FB and mens LAX. My sense is that it will be something high quality and similar sometime in the next 3 to 15 months.

I honestly can’t remember if I posted this or not.

I know most of my connections are on the football side, but I’ve had numerous people close to the athletic department tell me that ADJW loves the idea of getting Greg Paulus to Syracuse. I’ve been told multiple times he will get a look when JB leaves.

Me personally, I don’t like the idea, but just sharing what I’ve been told.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom