New OL Coach- Joe Adam | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

New OL Coach- Joe Adam

Also I am not sure it is a matter of what we can afford with all of Coach Shaffer hires there is one common theme he has connections to them he likes coaches that he knows and trusts.

Or they're going cheap here because they're going to splash out on the other hire or hires? Unclear at the moment.

I'm not so worried about the lack of o-line coaching experience. This is football. It's not that complicated. If he can teach and reach the kids, he can teach oline as well as dline. And who knows? Maybe he played oline? No local connection is a bit more worrisome. Doubling down on Illinois is not a long-term solution to our shortcomings closer to home. But it could be that they see him as taking over Smith's recruiting patch if he's off to Badgerland.
I don't agree. At this level you need a highly experienced oline coach. Not getting this hire at all

This guy has never been an offensive line coach in his life. And our school is in New York, not Illinois.

I have been vocal about it not mattering where kids come from - as long as they can play. But this hire doesn't make sense on any level.

We already have PLENTY of midwest people on staff to recruit. And if he has been hired to coach the O-Line as is being reported, we have severely downgraded in that area.

I get the fact Shafer should be comfortable with the hire but I'm not impressed. At all.

Or they're going cheap here because they're going to splash out on the other hire or hires? Unclear at the moment.

I'm not so worried about the lack of o-line coaching experience. This is football. It's not that complicated. If he can teach and reach the kids, he can teach oline as well as dline. And who knows? Maybe he played oline? No local connection is a bit more worrisome. Doubling down on Illinois is not a long-term solution to our shortcomings closer to home. But it could be that they see him as taking over Smith's recruiting patch if he's off to Badgerland.
Try telling that to Denzel Ward.

I trust Shafer. He hired Lester and he didn't have a great resume. I think he knows what he is doing.

On another matter - we need to pay coaches. We are a feeder school for coaches at the moment and if we don't up the budget this will keep happening.

I feel a little bad for the players from Elmhurst.
First Lester leaves, now Joe Adam.

I understand some of the anxiety some have over this hire...I will state that this is only speculation. I know for myself(and many others who have wanted to become coaches), when I was cutting my teeth, I wasn't being paid, and usually worked with a coach that either needed to be more hands on or needed to work with another group. Most young coaches are jacks of all trades. I have no inside knowledge, but I'm sure if Adam was a HC, at some point, he worked with an OL somewhere, whether he got credit for it or not...it really is the nature of the business as far as coaches getting started...just my 2 cents:noidea:

Last edited:
I gotcha. Wondered the same thing.
Well, he passes the OL look test.
FB_Coach_Adam.jpg

maybe he is picking up the slack in Chicago recruiting with smith gone?

1. Coaches change position duties all the time, and OL coach is one of the easier positions to transfer into

2. Dude has experience. Grand Valley isn't a joke, he has a better resume than Lester did, and everyone loves Lester right now. In Brian Kelly's coaching tree.

3. Experience as recruiting coordinator, and Grand Valley is a pretty damn good recruiter in the Midwest. It's not flashy, but it's an interesting and good hire, especially since we seem to have a good amount of recruiters already.

This guy has never been an offensive line coach in his life. And our school is in New York, not Illinois.

I have been vocal about it not mattering where kids come from - as long as they can play. But this hire doesn't make sense on any level.

We already have PLENTY of midwest people on staff to recruit. And if he has been hired to coach the O-Line as is being reported, we have severely downgraded in that area.

I get the fact Shafer should be comfortable with the hire but I'm not impressed. At all.
I don't agree. Shafer played QB in college, and was a GREAT defensive coordinator. Rob Moore was from the NY area, starred for the Jets (and Cuse) and could not recruit NY/NJ at all. I don't know that a GREAT offensive line coach, with strong recruiting ties to the North Atlantic exists. You find a sharp young mind and give him an opportunity at a higher level in a smaller role.

Most coaches at every level (including the pros) coach varied positions (including positions they've never played or coached on prior- on both sides of the ball; and sometimes they've never played the game at a high level at all-does that DQ them?). From the brief bio, he looks like he was elevated to head coach, he ran recruiting, worked early in his career under Brian Kelley (who has GREAT track record of hiring strong coaches and recruiters). He seems like a sharp guy moving up the ladder.
Jimbo Fisher lost a slew of coordinators off his staff the last couple years (a few of them took "better" roles). He replaced them with other talented coaches and just scored a national title.

You don't just "pay the offensive line coach more. " That doesn't keep people in roles in the coaching profession (for the most part). They look for the higher job title, or similar in a bigger school. We took a head coach, and are making him a position coach at the next level of college football. That sounds right.

It's a classic Shafer hire, solid long term type hire, IMO. Looks to me that Shafer is thinking about life after George McDonald at some point. Lester as OC, Adam as his right hand man. Chemistry hire, guys who like to work together and get along.

what's NEVER going to happen...TO HAVE THE BALLS TO OPEN UP THE PURSE STRING FOR ONCE!

Always easy to throw money at the issue, then again who knows what budget he is working with, not like Shafer is being paid big either.

Could also be a case of a guy that Shafer really wanted to get on the staff but didn't have a place for. Maybe he serves as OL coach for a year until another spot opens up that he's better suited for. Way some of the comments are being thrown around here, you'd think he just signed a 20 year contract to be our OL coach with 10 years as a Walmart greeter as the only work experience on his resume.

Management is a chess game and when you are working in an organization that has limited resources, whether it be by cause or by choice, you have to get creative with your solutions sometimes. People can complain all they want about assistant hires not being splashy enough, until the $$$ is there, get used to it. And even then, for succession planning and long-term continuity, it still makes sense to take on developmental guys that have aptitude as well and have them learn on the job.

Right hand man as Defensive Coordinator?

I seem to remember Hackett not having qb coaching experience three years later we had to keep him somehow!!! He was a miracle worker. Wash, rinse, repeat. Give the guy a chance. Is the the te coach as well?

Yep because this a school that has always lined up 5 star talent across the line.

Last years line had two kids, Macky, Robinson, and Hickey were all two stars. They didn't become a solid line without a great deal of coaching up. Marrone, Adkins, and Brotski developed them and Perles kept it going. You think you are going to get the necessary level of coaching with a guy that has never done it before in a BCS conference.

I hope this isn't the answer.

I'm not going to fight the spin. Let's hope it works out.

Last edited:
Welcome to the Orange family Joe Adam! Thanks for coming and do your best and the rest will take care of itself!

Last edited:
what's NEVER going to happen...TO HAVE THE BALLS TO OPEN UP THE PURSE STRING FOR ONCE!

SU is never going to lure lateral moves out of BCS schools.

Don't understand this. Can't see how a guy with defensive background will be a good fit as an OL coach. Shafer really loves his guys from WMU. Hope it doesn't cost him in the long run.