New OL Coach- Joe Adam | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

New OL Coach- Joe Adam

I am fine with the hire from a coaching and qualifications standpoint. As many have said Shafer would know far more then any of us. I just find it odd I seem to be the only one questioning the hire from the recruiting side. Again this isn't to say he can't get the job done, and I assume he will be pretty good since he was a RC at GVSU. I'm just interested to find out the benefit of having 3 coaches who cover the same region, especially since some very important recruiting grounds right around us are vacant.

Am I over thinking this?

Maybe/Maybe not. If Deandre Smith is leaving, Adam's ties to Chicago I would think would be important. If Smith is staying, then I think you have a valid question.

MY 2 CENTS. I am surprise of the hire myself. Adam does not have a strong O line background. I would have preferred someone with some exp at the position. With that being said, Coaching with people you know and care about brings the best of your abilities out. I know first hand. Chemistry is just as important. If there is some discomfort with Adam coaching the position, his brothers will work with him, encourage him and trust that he will do whatever it takes get the O line ready. I think a former D coordinator and head coach can handle one unit.

I'm sure there will be a few posters, who possess far greater knowledge than HCSS, that will continue to bitch.
I'll continue to not love the hire. Nothing has changed, just become official.

From the blue collar lines in that article, I think Shafer is trying to hire coaches that will hopefully stick as well in a city like Syracuse who will embrace the town like he has. I don't think Adam will be leaving the kids and wife at home and shaking up at a hotel for a year. Family atmosphere, I think that has become extremely evident, loyalty goes 2 ways. I don't expect much whining about weather from these guys like many of the assistants that have blown through town over the years.

SHAFER ADDS ADAM TO ORANGE STAFF

Joe "Don't Call Me Adams" Adam

i guess this ends all the "we don't even know if he was hired to coach the OL" comments.

I'm just thankful we have such a strong contingent of people that are willing to criticize someone for something when they aren't even sure of the facts. I swear I could post on here that Pee Wee Herman is going to be the new RB coach with no evidence whatsoever of it and people would be commenting on it as if it was scripture.

RMH44 said:
That seals it...must be a bad hire. Too funny.

I'm not sure anyone has explicitly said it was a bad hire. But of all the Shafer hires to date, some fans opinions are that it is the most questionable simply because of the experience at the position. He could be great and we should hope he is because OL, IMO, is the most important position coach on the team.

I'm just thankful we have such a strong contingent of people that are willing to criticize someone for something when they aren't even sure of the facts. I swear I could post on here that Pee Wee Herman is going to be the new RB coach with no evidence whatsoever of it and people would be commenting on it as if it was scripture.
What facts aren't we sure about?
The guy has never coached the offensive line before. That's been the prevailing issue people have had.

Last edited:
I'm not sure anyone has explicitly said it was a bad hire. But of all the Shafer hires to date, some fans opinions are that it is the most questionable simply because of the experience at the position. He could be great and we should hope he is because OL, IMO, is the most important position coach on the team.

Yep

I swear I could post on here that Pee Wee Herman is going to be the new RB coach with no evidence whatsoever of it and people would be commenting on it as if it was scripture.
We could do worse. From his bio, he check's off several boxes:

Pee Wee Herman was born Paul Rubenfeld in Peekskill, New York [NYS CONNECTIONS-DOWNSTATE], and grew up in Sarasota, Florida [FLORIDA CONNECTIONS] , where his parents, Judy and Milton Rubenfeld, owned a lamp store. His mother was a teacher and his father was an automobile salesperson, who had flown for Britain's Royal Air Force and for the U.S. Army Air Forces in World War II, later becoming one of the founding pilots of the Israeli Air Force during the 1948 Arab-Israeli War. [HARDNOSED MILITARY FAMILY] Paul has two younger siblings, Luke (born 1958), who is a dog trainer, and Abby (born 1953), who is an attorney, and board member of the American Civil Liberties Union of Tennessee.

Reubens spent a significant amount of his childhood in
Oneonta, New York[NYS CONNECTIONS-CNY/UPSTATE] . As a child, Reubens frequented the Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey Circus, [OFTEN PERFORM IN MSG] whose winter headquarters was in Sarasota. The circus's atmosphere sparked Reubens' interest in entertainment and influenced his later work. Reubens also loved to watch reruns of I Love Lucy, which made him want to make people laugh.[LUCY WAS FROM JAMESTOWN - NYS CONNECTIONS-WNY] At age five, Reubens asked his father to build him a stage, where he and his siblings would put on plays.

Reubens attended
Sarasota High School, where he was named president of the National Thespian Society. He was accepted into Northwestern University's summer program [CHICAGO CONNECTIONS TO REPLACE DEANDRE] for gifted high-school students and also joined the local Asolo Theater and Players of Sarasota Theater, appearing in several plays. After graduation, he attended Boston University [NEW ENGLAND CONNECTIONS, PLUS BU ALSO HATES BC] and began auditioning for acting schools. He was turned down by several schools[CHIP ON HIS SHOULDER] , including Juilliard, [TOO HARD-NOSED?]and twice by Carnegie-Mellon, before being accepted at the California Institute of the Arts and moving to California [WEST COAST TIES, CAN WORK THE JUCOS OUT THAT WAY], where he worked in restaurant kitchens and as a Fuller Brush salesman.

In the 1970s, Reubens performed at local comedy clubs and made four guest appearances on
The Gong Show as part of a boy–girl act he had developed with Charlotte McGinnis, called The Hilarious Betty and Eddie.He soon joined the Los Angeles–based improvisational comedy team The Groundlings and remained a member for six years [MORE WEST COAST TIES] , working with Bob McClurg, John Paragon, Susan Barnes, and Phil Hartman. Hartman and Reubens became friends [FRIENDS WITH TOP PERFORMER], often writing and working on material together. In 1980, he had a small part as a waiter in The Blues Brothers.[FILMED IN CHICAGO]

On the coaching side, what he brings is obvious - an emphasis on footwork:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Reubens#Early_life_and_education

What facts aren't we sure about?
The guy has never coached the offensive line before. That's been the prevailing issue people have had.

Well I'm pretty confident that not a single person here commenting negatively about this hire over the past few days was certain he would be coaching the OL until that article you posted just came up. So yeah, people were commenting negatively about a guy never coaching the OL that they weren't even sure was going to be coaching the OL. That's the point.

Well I'm pretty confident that not a single person here commenting negatively about this hire over the past few days was certain he would be coaching the OL until that article you posted just came up. So yeah, people were commenting negatively about a guy never coaching the OL that they weren't even sure was going to be coaching the OL. That's the point.

And now he has officially been named as coaching the OL. We got a head start. What's your point?

Interesting all the interconnections between the Browns and candidates for SU football coaching positions (at least candidates in the minds of some on this board).

WMU Shafer Rat Packer Mike Sullivan went from the Browns to Tampa Bay, where he worked for Schiano. Got fired, just was hired by the Titans.

WMU Shafer Rat Packer Chris Tabor is still with the Browns as special teams coordinator (and probably on Shafer's short list should he need to backfill a spot in the future).

The Browns recently hired Little Falls native Brian Angelichio, another former Pitt/RU assistant in Jeff Hafley, and George DeLeone is their new assistant OL coach. Of course, their new HC Mike Pettine was DM's DC at Buffalo last year, and was a GA at Pitt early in his coaching career.

And now he has officially been named as coaching the OL. We got a head start. What's your point?

You wouldn't understand the point if it landed flat on your face. I heard Pee Wee Herman is going to be our new RB coach, maybe you can get a head start on that one too.

Last edited:
You wouldn't understand the point if it landed flat on your face. Go back to playing with your jump to conclusions mat.

I guess i don't get it either seems like a moot point.

You wouldn't understand the point if it landed flat on your face. I heard Pee Wee Herman is going to be our new RB coach, maybe you can get a head start on that one too.

A reputable source said he was expected to be named the offensive line coach. Hence the "premature" non-premature start.