New OL Coach- Joe Adam | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

New OL Coach- Joe Adam

But if people really think that a defensive coordinator or line coach know very little about offensive blocking schemes or technique, you're just flat out wrong. DL coaches know every technique, protection, and scheme there is on the offensive side of the football.

I think the anxiety is coming from the fact that other than the last couple of seasons our OL was miserable pretty much ever since P&D left. But that said, this does make sense to me

No, I don't. And quite frankly, that's the problem I'm having.

So before we jump to conclusions on whether this guy is a good coach or not, lets find out if he was hired to be the o-line coach, and what his experience is.

It is evident that people here have had very little football coaching experience (and as it should be). But if people really think that a defensive coordinator or line coach know very little about offensive blocking schemes or technique, you're just flat out wrong. DL coaches know every technique, protection, and scheme there is on the offensive side of the football. He, like Hackett before him, is being hired as a position coach, not a coordinator.

Only time will tell if this is a good hire or not. Hackett was a risky hire and he turned out to be great. Then you had MagicMan Wiley who turned out to be as good as a bag of .

I get that. I really do. I was a coach once upon a time - not football, but a different sport. And at the college level.

But there's no denying we have had more success over the last few years with guys who have had pro/high level offensive line coaching experience.

Maybe it's better players? Maybe it's Marrone's effect? I don't know. But to me, and at least a few on the board, it just seems on the surface to be an unnecessary risk of a hire.

Its not clear to me that the Oline was actually good the last couple years, or just order of magnitudes better than 5-6 yrs ago.. Still lots of mistakes being made. Just because we are functional doesnt mean we are wisc good yet.

Its not clear to me that the Oline was actually good the last couple years, or just order of magnitudes better than 5-6 yrs ago.. Still lots of mistakes being made. Just because we are functional doesnt mean we are wisc good yet.
I think it's relevant to mention that Wisconsin just lost their RB coach (Thomas Hammock) to the Baltimore Ravens.
Talented people in every profession should always looking to improve their station in life. The folks whose career consists of bouncing from one parallel move to another are the ones you need to question. The SU coaching tree contains a lot of unheralded young assistants who have gone on to have distinguished careers. Let's give Adam a chance.

40th and 38th in rushing the last two years, 22nd and 29th in sacks allowed, 7th and 11th in tackles for loss allowed.

That's more than functional.

Who claimed the line was as good as Wisconsin? Why is that the benchmark?

It should appetize your palate in the meantime. No need to be critical of a coaching situation you don't really know anything about.

Thing that gets me is the attitude - as if Scott Shafer is REQUIRED to justify his coaching decisions to them.

The other thing that I love is the fact that Joe Adam as OL coach has not been confirmed ANYWHERE, the only actual tried and true fact is that he's been hired to the staff. Yet we have a 6 page thread on how he's not qualified to be an OL coach.

40th and 38th in rushing the last two years, 22nd and 29th in sacks allowed, 7th and 11th in tackles for loss allowed.

That's more than functional.

Who claimed the line was as good as Wisconsin? Why is that the benchmark?
I think we were functional. i think the talent improved. is that a talent issue or a coaching issue? 2 NFL type tackles and a 5th yr SR center. When you watch the replays there are a ton of missed blocks still. The results say we are pretty good, the film no so much. But I couldnt tell what is coachable issues and what is talent issues.

It is evident that people here have had very little football coaching experience (and as it should be). But if people really think that a defensive coordinator or line coach know very little about offensive blocking schemes or technique, you're just flat out wrong. DL coaches know every technique, protection, and scheme there is on the offensive side of the football. He, like Hackett before him, is being hired as a position coach, not a coordinator.

Only time will tell if this is a good hire or not. Hackett was a risky hire and he turned out to be great. Then you had MagicMan Wiley who turned out to be as good as a bag of .

If Adam has been hired for the offensive line then CIL's statements make perfect sense. How did Scott Shafer become a good defensive coordinator? By playing offense ...and knowing what he did NOT like to play against. Maybe Shafer takes Adam because he sees a lot of himself in him: A man with a lot of experience on the opposite side of the ball and knowing full well what he doesn't like to play against.

I have to agree with Go, though. If this is the case, that's a dang risky move. The O-Line is the engine of the entire team. A good engine keeps the offense on the field and the team advancing, and also keeps your defense off it. We have seen what a bad engine can do. And I do not want to go back there. Not for one season.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure that Kevin Rogers - a favorite on this board - began his coaching career at The Ohio State University as a DL coach.

He eventually became a decent offensive coach.

Parcells was a defensive coach who many believe became a great QB coach.

It's football.

Thing that gets me is the attitude - as if Scott Shafer is REQUIRED to justify his coaching decisions to them.

The other thing that I love is the fact that Joe Adam as OL coach has not been confirmed ANYWHERE, the only actual tried and true fact is that he's been hired to the staff. Yet we have a 6 page thread on how he's not qualified to be an OL coach.

I am fine with the hire from a coaching and qualifications standpoint. As many have said Shafer would know far more then any of us. I just find it odd I seem to be the only one questioning the hire from the recruiting side. Again this isn't to say he can't get the job done, and I assume he will be pretty good since he was a RC at GVSU. I'm just interested to find out the benefit of having 3 coaches who cover the same region, especially since some very important recruiting grounds right around us are vacant.

Am I over thinking this?

I am fine with the hire from a coaching and qualifications standpoint. As many have said Shafer would know far more then any of us. I just find it odd I seem to be the only one questioning the hire from the recruiting side. Again this isn't to say he can't get the job done, and I assume he will be pretty good since he was a RC at GVSU. I'm just interested to find out the benefit of having 3 coaches who cover the same region, especially since some very important recruiting grounds right around us are vacant.

Am I over thinking this?
I agree unless next coach is Ed Orgeron we def need someone who can recruit NJ, and NY

I'm pretty sure that Kevin Rogers - a favorite on this board - began his coaching career at The Ohio State University as a DL coach.

That's the closest anyone has come on this board to describing Rogers' ability.

I agree unless next coach is Ed Orgeron we def need someone who can recruit NJ, and NY

Not just NJ/NY, but DC, Maryland, VA. It wouldn't hurt to have another man in PA as well.

Moore was the downstate guy, and Perles was handling NJ. I don't think Reed can cover the DMV region by himself. That's the only reason I was a bit disappointed with the hire. Then again maybe this move was made with knowledge of another one on the horizon. Then my point would be moot

Am I over thinking this?
The evidence we have is limited, but I think it points toward a general disregard for the criteria you (and others) cite. Shafer doesn't seem to care, in the big picture, whether a guy "fills in" a recruiting territory. I doubt that he is even considering whether a prospective hire comes with deep connections to NJ, mid-Atlantic, etc. Fit and a trusted source that can vouch seem to be criteria #1 and #1A.

Let's see what he does with the other hire. Prepare to be disappointed, though (IMO of course).

Parcells was a defensive coach who many believe became a great QB coach.

It's football.

He was a GA at OSU. His first coaching job in college was RB at William and Mary, then he moved to QB at Navy for 7 years before being hired for the same job at SU, where he was QB coach from 91 to 97. By the time he was hired at SU he had over 10 years of experience as an offensive coach.

What does that have to do with this situation?
I think the point is that coaches coach and what they coach is not as important as their own ability to teach and lead.