New RB Coach | Syracusefan.com

New RB Coach

I like that he has been an o-coordinator and a run game coordinator.

Looks like another solid hire on paper...

++++

Hopefully he's putting headlocks on Gus Edwards and Laray Smith today! ;)

From his bio:

Smith's 1,000-yard club: 2010-Mikel Leshoure (Illinois, 1,697); 2008-Rodney Ferguson (New Mexico, 1,105); 2005-Brandon Murphy (Miami, Ohio, 1,070); 2004-Garrett Wolfe (Northern Illinois, 1,656); 2003-Michael Turner (Northern Illinois, 1,648); 2002-Michael Turner (Northern Illinois, 1,915); 2001-Thomas Hammock (Northern Illinois, 1,096); 1999-Sheraton Fox, QB (Indiana State, 1,034)

Not a bad set of backs.

A little more background on DeAndre Smith (from 2010). Refers to him as a "recruiting dynamo" but it never really explains why. Weird.

------
""Smith visited Chicago high schools during his first week. That will be part of his recruiting territory, which also will include St. Louis and Kansas City, Mo. Smith will work the same areas as Mitchell, who left to join Turner Gill's staff at Kansas.

"I've got to get out and meet the (high school) coaches, let them know I'm here and establish that communication," Smith said. "That's the biggest thing."

Smith's recruiting territories aren't new to him. He has been in the same high schools while working for Northern Illinois, Miami (Ohio) and New Mexico.""

FROM: http://www.illinihq.com/sports/illi...asmussen-deandre-smith-recruiting-dynamo.html
---------

Pete Roussel at Coaching Search Ticker:
Syracuse: Sources tell me that New Mexico running backs coach DeAndre Smith has accepted a position on Scott Shafer's staff at Syracuse.

Bio -- Great experience

In 2011, (pre Smith) New Mexico rushed for 1,603 yards (per the team website). #106 in country per ESPN.

In 2012, they rushed for 4,188 yards. #5 in country per ESPN.

(fwiw)

It's all talent.;)

Looks like they may be planning to mine the Midwest, in particular, OH and Michigan, much harder with this staff.

Thoughts on current/future geographic areas of recruiting responibility for this staff ?

If we can get more out of OH in particular, fantastic... LOTS of very good HS talent in "Texas of the North"...

So now it seems we need OL and DB coaches right?

If the Lea hire is true, I would think they split the DB's/LB's between he and Morrison. That leaves OL and ST.

If the Lea hire is true, I would think they split the DB's/LB's between he and Morrison. That leaves OL and ST.

Well the Anselmo and Morrison gone looks to be room for another coach.

I like that he has been an o-coordinator and a run game coordinator.
Odd that the o-coordinator role was in his very first job. Wonder if he actually coordinated or if the "/" was in title only?

Well the Anselmo and Morrison gone looks to be room for another coach.

Where did you see Morrison gone ? I know we haven't heard anything from him which is strange, but I didn't see where's exited.

Where did you see Morrison gone ? I know we haven't heard anything from him which is strange, but I didn't see where's exited.

Not listed in the release Syracuse just put out.

Can say one thing looks like we will have a bunch of black coaches.