New RB/Spec Teams Coach: Justin Lustig | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

New RB/Spec Teams Coach: Justin Lustig

I would love to see SU recruit a strong legged kicker who can reliably boom the ball through the endzone.

Don't care if that is all he ever does. Having that weapon would dramatically improve field position. The ACC has a lot of great return guys. Let's take them out of play, at least for kickoffs. So many schollies go unused...it should be easy to justify.

Yes! Another Pat O'Neil!

A tremendous weapon back in the day.

One thing to keep an eye on. He spent several years at Christopher Newport which is in the Tidewater area. I won't get too excited yet but he might have a few connections there. I love the Erie, PA connection as we lose all the time to Pitt for those guys.

Did some research:
High School Cathedral Prep in Erie, PA. #7 and #8 kid in PA for the class of 2018 go here
Coached at D3 school in 01-02 and 04-05 (same school) was ST/RB/Recruiting Cord. 11 blocked kicks, 3 returned for TD's while he coached ST.
Villanova 03 coached CB. Nova had the #1 ranked D and #1 ranked pass efficiency D
EIU 06-08 coached RB. 3 1000 yard rushers
Louisianna-Lafayette 09-10 coached ST/RB/HB PR ranked #1 in Sun Belt
Ball St 11-15 ST/RB. Added Associate Head Coach in 15. '14 he coached the ST player of the year for the MAC. His punter and kicker in '14 where finalist for the Guy and Groza award
Edinboro 16. Head Coach took an 0-11 to 9-2 just missing the play offs. PSAC West and D2Football.com coach of the year, coached D2 player of the year, and 6 all conference honorees.

Let that all sink in. If you think this is a bad hire you will never be happy with a hire at SU.

klopp12.gif

I wouldn't be surprised if he's being paid the same or incrementally less to take this position. Doesn't mean it's true, but, I bet it's likely.

Some dudes just wanna coach in the big time. I'd give up the future I built in a heart beat in order to stand on a P5 sideline coachin' ball.

Great move for him. I bet HC in D2 might be around 100k. The jump to D1 is a different ballgame. So, i bet he got a huge pay raise and jump into the ACC. NO Brainer.

Is Sisson the QB at Edinboro? His father was my college basketball coach.

personally, I hope he teaches to kick-off through the end zone. have been burned way too many times with coverage/out of bounds when we try to "pin" the ball in corner.

Agree, how times have changed. Punts go down the middle instead of coffin corner and kickoffs are aimed at the pylon. Drives me nuts.

I wouldn't be surprised if he's being paid the same or incrementally less to take this position. Doesn't mean it's true, but, I bet it's likely.

Some dudes just wanna coach in the big time. I'd give up the future I built in a heart beat in order to stand on a P5 sideline coachin' ball.

Edinboro PA former head coach Scott Browning made $94,287 in 2014.

Justin Lustig was making $75,000 in 2012 with Ball St.

Most of the elite schools are paying their RB coaches anywhere from 300-400K a year.

I would imagine at a school like ours he is probably going to be making anywhere from 150-200K a year. A very bigly raise for him and his family.

Agree, how times have changed. Punts go down the middle instead of coffin corner and kickoffs are aimed at the pylon. Drives me nuts.
I agree with both comments except that I don't want the kickoff to go to the 5 yard line to force a return. A touch back goes to the 25. A decent kick coverage can keep the return inside the 20.

Edinboro PA former head coach Scott Browning made $94,287 in 2014.

Justin Lustig was making $75,000 in 2012 with Ball St.

Most of the elite schools are paying their RB coaches anywhere from 300-400K a year.

I would imagine at a school like ours he is probably going to be making anywhere from 150-200K a year. A very bigly raise for him and his family.
I posted the below in another thread. Taking into account Dino's comments, Cuse likely pays less than 150-200k a year. Maybe 100-125k?

The previous IU RB coach, Deland McCullough, was making $158k per year. He left for USC.

The previous USC RB coach, Tommie Robinson, was making 575k-600k per year. He left for LSU.

At LSU he makes 600k per year and LSU is paying his $237K buyout.

Last edited:
I agree with both comments except that I don't want the kickoff to go to the 5 yard line to force a return. A touch back goes to the 25. A decent kick coverage can keep the return inside the 20.
We've been a long way from decent. Let's kick it through end zone until we're confident in coverage.

I posted the below in another thread. Taking into account Dino's comments, Cuse likely pays less than 150-200k a year. Maybe 100-125k?

The previous IU RB coach, Deland McCullough, was making $158k per year. He left for USC.

The previous USC RB coach, Tommie Robinson, was making 575k-600k per year. He left for LSU.

At LSU he makes 600k per year and LSU is paying his $237K buyout.

I am finding 184K for Deland McCullough. Not a huge difference though.

But you have to expect there to be a slight pay increase with Special Teams added. I would almost guarantee that he will be making atleast 150K. That would still be a huge raise over what Edinboro was probably paying.

But you have to expect there to be a slight pay increase with Special Teams added. I would almost guarantee that he will be making atleast 150K. That would still be a huge raise over what Edinboro was probably paying.
Basically what this says to me is...wow, it's insane the overall money that 1. sports make, and 2. gets paid out to the coaches, etc involved. We're using 6 figure salaries to explain how low someone gets paid (yes it's all about "market" value, I get it).

I mean... we're talking about a game where genetic freaks chase a leather ball around the field and run into each other like barbarians. Pretty remarkable stuff.

That said...Go ORANGE! Can't wait for fall.

Northwest PA
Lustig is no stranger to football in northwestern Pennsylvania. He played his high school football at Cathedral Prep, graduating in 1996. He would go on to play at Bucknell, earning his bachelor’s degree in English & History in 2000.

We need to mine that Cathedral Prep connection. Lots of good players every year.

Low level D-3 schools pay $75K for HC's all day long... If he was only making as much as his predecessor, whom he replaced at Edinboro, then he was bought low. $125K was the # I had pegged for Edinboro. If it was less, then it was an obvious pay raise.

If the ST's duties were not included, I would imagine his salary would be close to $125K for RB's here. These figures are not that much different.

$150K would be alot more than the past couple RB coaches made here.

Is Sisson the QB at Edinboro? His father was my college basketball coach.

You played at JCC? Or Roberts Wesleyan? Know George very well from his days with the Jamestown Jammers.

Low level D-3 schools pay $75K for HC's all day long... If he was only making as much as his predecessor, whom he replaced at Edinboro, then he was bought low. $125K was the # I had pegged for Edinboro. If it was less, then it was an obvious pay raise.

If the ST's duties were not included, I would imagine his salary would be close to $125K for RB's here. These figures are not that much different.

$150K would be alot more than the past couple RB coaches made here.

Yeah not to mention the exposure he will get coaching in the ACC. He could springboard from here and make a ton more if he is successful with us.
Offensive coaches in systems like ours seem to be the hot commodity.
Scoring points can put more butts in the seats.