New realignment rumors from BE meetings... | Syracusefan.com

New realignment rumors from BE meetings...

supp

Hall of Fame
According to this blogger who claims to have an in with the WVU AD, the Eers are going to the SEC next year. The BE presidents voted to waive the 27-month notification, allowing SU and Pitt to leave next year too. This contradicts articles coming out this weekend, though, that claim the remaining BE schools are talking expansion not contraction and that Marinatto still plans to hold SU and Pitt to the 27-month out clause.

I just want to be in the ACC playing football and basketball + other sports in 2012.

According to this blogger who claims to have an in with the WVU AD, the Eers are going to the SEC next year. The BE presidents voted to waive the 27-month notification, allowing SU and Pitt to leave next year too. This contradicts articles coming out this weekend, though, that claim the remaining BE schools are talking expansion not contraction and that Marinatto still plans to hold SU and Pitt to the 27-month out clause.

Agree, I want out ASAP, this

Wow if true this is great news. Sounds a bit iffy and contradictory of what we heard about yesterdays meeting, but they didn't raise the buyout and thats obviously because everyone wants out.

If WVU becomes the 14th SEC school and Mizzu doesn't want to conti nue on with the BIG12 then we could see a lot ov movement very quickly. If the B1G doesn't grab Mizzu then they could go to the SEC as 15 and who's 16?

Hopefully all is true, and Oliver Luck can still go pound salt.

I very strongly do not believe that WVU has an invite to the SEC locked up at this point in time. They may want to go. They may go, if asked. But the SEC is still playing things out. They haven't decided what they are going to do if anything. People can believe almost anything, if they want to bad enough.

On the 27 months - The Big East probably wants SU and Pitt gone as soon as possible. There's all sorts of potential problems associated with playing SU and Pitt, not the least of which is fan behavior. But they can't release Pitt and SU until they have replacements lined up. It'll be a huge mess from a scheduling standpoint. About all the Big East got out of that ridiculous lawsuit was a couple of games with ACC schools ... that they needed desperately.

As the ACC, SEC and the B1G get bigger, it gets harder and harder for the Big East teams to schedule games with teams in this conference.

I very strongly do not believe that WVU has an invite to the SEC locked up at this point in time. They may want to go. They may go, if asked. But the SEC is still playing things out. They haven't decided what they are going to do if anything. People can believe almost anything, if they want to bad enough.

On the 27 months - The Big East probably wants SU and Pitt gone as soon as possible. There's all sorts of potential problems associated with playing SU and Pitt, not the least of which is fan behavior. But they can't release Pitt and SU until they have replacements lined up. It'll be a huge mess from a scheduling standpoint. About all the Big East got out of that ridiculous lawsuit was a couple of games with ACC schools ... that they needed desperately.

As the ACC, SEC and the B1G get bigger, it gets harder and harder for the Big East teams to schedule games with teams in this conference.
The SEC may be waiting on Missouri.
And TCU is waiting on the Big 12.
And. . .

Luck is a loud mouth tool. I don't see the SEC taking WV over Mizzou assuming they even decide to add a 14th at this point in time. I still think the Big12 is going to take some number of BE teams along with TCU and then school is out for BE FB.

From this morning's tweets (might be another thread, if so, sorry), looks like the Big 12 might be saved. They will agree to Tier 1/Tier 2 equal revenue split if there is a 6 year grant of rights. Up to Mizzou from the way it sounded. Could also keep the B12 at 9.

From this morning's tweets (might be another thread, if so, sorry), looks like the Big 12 might be saved. They will agree to Tier 1/Tier 2 equal revenue split if there is a 6 year grant of rights. Up to Mizzou from the way it sounded. Could also keep the B12 at 9.
If they stay at 9, won't the network(s) want to reopen their TV contracts, which were based upon a 10-team league?

Mizzou is the next domino to fall. Until then, everything else is bull. There is no way the SEC takes WVU over Mizzou.

If they stay at 9, won't the network(s) want to reopen their TV contracts, which were based upon a 10-team league?

You could be right, for some reason I thought it was one more team to be lost before it started chaos. If that's the case, it will be interesting to see who is #10. A lot of pre-game negotiations to get the team that will give them the most TV value. The Mormons? The Boises? The Hillbillies? The school in Kentucky with the worst traveling fans in all of college football? Should be fascinating to watch as I eat my lobster.

Mizzou is the next domino to fall. Until then, everything else is bull. There is no way the SEC takes WVU over Mizzou.

..unless of course they go to 16...then the question is who is the last two in...presuming 14 is Mizzou or WVU...either of these could be #14, and the other 15...which leaves one for 16. I have heard that VT turned the SEC down...they are tied tightly to UV.

The general thoughts of those in twitterland is that in the end, Missouri will stay in the B12. Time will tell.

I may be in the minority here, along with just some general ignorance, but it seems that a school (Mizzou) which has never really been a significant player in neither football nor basketball, sure carries a bit of unwarranted clout. Columbia Missouri is smaller than the city of Syracuse, so does it really bring in a considerable television market? I'm aware Missouri is native to both St. Louis & Kansas City, but aren't these cities more pro pro than pro college?

I may be in the minority here, along with just some general ignorance, but it seems that a school (Mizzou) which has never really been a significant player in neither football nor basketball, sure carries a bit of unwarranted clout. Columbia Missouri is smaller than the city of Syracuse, so does it really bring in a considerable television market? I'm aware Missouri is native to both St. Louis & Kansas City, but aren't these cities more pro pro than pro college?

Missouri has certainly been thrusted into a strong position. The Tigers are like that girl in high school who was very popular, wasn't very pretty but seemed to get dates with the populars. Missouri has other talents, mainly the media markets but not much in looks.

My uninformed take is that Missouri would prefer to move to the Big 10, but isn't going to get invited. So, Missouri looks at the options - SEC or staying put in the Big 12-3 = 9.

If Missouri were to go, then it's scramble time for the Big 12 and their geographic proximity would suffer, as they'd have to expand both east and west, and be missing a cornerstone state in the middle of their region.

I see why the SEC would want to push north and get into the St. Louis and Kansas City markets more than West Virginia, even though WVU is probably a better fit culturally in the SEC. SEC wants to get beyond the "NASCAR market" that they currently hold. Missouri helps them more than WVU in that regard.

In any event, the Big 12 can't stay at 9 teams. They have to add someone, and probably would need to add 3 to get back to 12 for TV, over Texas's perceived objections and not wanting to have to play a conference championship game. Those days are soon going to be over for all the BCS football conferences.

So, either WVU or Missouri to the SEC. I think they stop at 14.

Big 12 has to take a few schools to beef up from 9 - or 8. I think they pick from among TCU, BYU, Louisville and Cincinnati. They are way too Texas oriented already, but TCU is a really good football team. BYU is a little distant for travel w/out Nebraska and Colorado in the league any more. Boise State is even farther and is not a major player in non-football sports, to the best of my knowledge. Cincinnati is also pretty far from the conference's center of gravity, more so than Louisville, so that may count against them.

The more I think about it, the more I think Oliver Luck is still lobbying to get WVU into the SEC and hasn't succeeded yet. That might point to Missouri getting an invite to the SEC first. But would Missouri look at a move to the SEC as a step down academically, despite the extra $10M a year in sports revenue? They might.

I'm also very relieved at the reports that Va Tech turned down an SEC invite. Sources say the whole Va Tech vs. Virginia rivalry and state politics will keep those 2 in the same league and the SEC will never invite Virginia. What this also shows, though, is that the SEC is willing to try to unlodge an ACC team. Florida State might be next on the wish list before Missouri or West Virginia.

If I'm West Virginia, I'm on pins and needles thinking that I'm the third or fourth choice to get into the SEC.

Why would they vote to waive to 27 months without some consession from SU and Pitt -- ie $$$? The only way that makes no sense is if the vote is conditional on agreeing terms with "The Replacements" or is only part of the picture (e.g. SU and Pitt have a buy-out in place with the BE but are keeping quiet). Otherwise, the BE has no incentive to give on the 27 months.

They've been pretty good in hoops for a long time, although seldom championship caliber. The football team was so-so until recently, but has become a good program.

In any event, the Big 12 can't stay at 9 teams. They have to add someone, and probably would need to add 3 to get back to 12 for TV, over Texas's perceived objections and not wanting to have to play a conference championship game. Those days are soon going to be over for all the BCS football conferences.

I think this is the part where you are incorrect. I think longtimeposter had it correct above, the TV deal could only fall apart if they were below 10. At 10 I think it still holds. Otherwise they would have already added 2 more after Colorado and Nebraska left.

The best thing for SU IMO is for the following to happen...

-B12 stays together including Mizzou.

-SEC takes WV

-B12 decides to go back to 12

-BYU says no thanks to B12

-B12 takes TCU, UL, and Cincy

-BE decides to no longer be a FB conference. This means SU and Pitt play in the ACC for 2012 FB.

-The BE allows USF to go to CUSA without penalty since the conference no longer plays FB and USF BBall sux.

-UConn decides to stay in the BE for all but FB, which goes to the MAC like Temple and UMass.

-ND decides to stay in the BE, meaning no B1G for RU.

-RU goes Indy in every sport and starts their own network making millions of dollars since they are so big in NYC. Actually RU would have to decide to follow USF or UConn. Either way it is good for us.

So RU, UConn, and USF would be in non BCS conferences. That helps recruiting for SU in the NY/NJ/PA area as well as in Florida. The BE would no longer have FB, which makes them happy. For BBall they would have...

UConn, GTown, Nova, ND, Marquette, St Johns, Seton Hall, Providence, DePaul, and maybe RU (depending if they chose CUSA or not)

That is a lot weaker than the ACC and should keep SU ahead in NE recruiting even after JB leaves.

I think this is the part where you are incorrect. I think longtimeposter had it correct above, the TV deal could only fall apart if they were below 10. At 10 I think it still holds. Otherwise they would have already added 2 more after Colorado and Nebraska left.

I agree that for purposes of their current TV contract, its terms may hold at 10 teams. But if you think that we are moving to mega-conferences for everyone other than Texas, I don't think that's any more sustainable over the long term than Notre Dame expecting to be included in the future football playoff system if they don't belong to any conference. It might hold for a while (i.e. a few years), but not long term, IMO.