New rules on transfers may be coming in 2018 | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

New rules on transfers may be coming in 2018

When I went to college in the dark ages, many students didn't transfer because of the loss of credits between one college and the other. Do colleges now automatically accept or more readily accept transfer credits unlike when I went to college? I know some people back then who lost up to an entire semester of credits after just one year. Many just stayed at their original choice after being told how many credits they would lose transferring.

Kentucky and UNC are salivating at this new rule and preparing to offer bonus credits to select transfers. They are calling it their matching credit program. If you transfer in with 15 credits, they'll give you 15 and match that for a total of 30.

When I went to college in the dark ages, many students didn't transfer because of the loss of credits between one college and the other. Do colleges now automatically accept or more readily accept transfer credits unlike when I went to college? I know some people back then who lost up to an entire semester of credits after just one year. Many just stayed at their original choice after being told how many credits they would lose transferring.

I think they still run into that issue with having credits transfer over, however, they're in a slightly different situation than your average student because the financial cost of paying to retake the "lost" credits isn't really an issue if you're on a full scholarship.

I think they still run into that issue with having credits transfer over, however, they're in a slightly different situation than your average student because the financial cost of paying to retake the "lost" credits isn't really an issue if you're on a full scholarship.

Isn't there an academic progress issue or does the NCAA just count credits not progress towards a degree? Just wondering because this transfer proposal seems like it might contradict other NCAA academic policies.

If there are deadlines ... who cares? Everyone always goes into panic mode that people are going to poach SU players like we wouldn't try to do the exact same thing? If there are deadlines and dead periods then I am perfectly fine allowing student-athletes to be able to do what every other student in America is allowed to do.

Isn't there an academic progress issue or does the NCAA just count credits not progress towards a degree? Just wondering because this transfer proposal seems like it might contradict other NCAA academic policies.

I'm not sure. That's a really good point though. The whole thing seems like it's going to get real messy and that's even before you see the coaches start to maneuver in ways to best suit their programs/job security.

My first thought is this is such a stupid and terrible idea no group of people could seriously consider it. Then I remember it's the NCAA and it could happen.

My brother is at a D1 school as the director of compliance. He told me that any member school can propose something for consideration and it's voted on and many of the ideas aren't well thought out and don't make it far. This could be one of them that just makes for a juicy story.

My first thought is this is such a stupid and terrible idea no group of people could seriously consider it. Then I remember it's the NCAA and it could happen.
God forbid that we stop allowing Petty coaches to dictate where unhappy players can pursue their academic and athletic careers.
Again, just tie the academic performance bof student athletes to scholarship limits.
If you accept a kid that has bad grades, and he completes his eligibility without making the requisite progress toward a degree, you lose that scholarship for however long the kid was at your school.

If the NCAA wants to continue the sham that these are student athletes (and get the benefits from such treatment), I am favour of tweaking the transfer rule significantly. You can get it all ways NCAA.

Many fans on this thread, without knowing it, are simply enabling the behaviour of the NCAA. Don't blame the NCAA when things don't go our way... you are the people that are allowing the NCAA to make rules to protect the scam.

I would be much more in favour of a total overhaul, with less transfers, some compensation, and where players represent universities but take life skill courses rather than undergrad programs if that is their choice. Life skill courses like personal management, coaching, personal training, salesmanship skills, negotiation skills. The type of things a non academically inclined individual can learn and use to their benefit afterwards.

Last edited:
I proposed a transfer rule a few weeks back that I think would be fair for all sides.

Here is the general framework

• All players are essentially on "2 year commitments". A player can only transfer without sitting after his sophomore year. If a player is not happy as a freshman he has one more year to wait, and this might actually get him to change to better his feelings on the program.
  • The choice to the free transfer must be made within a few weeks of the end of the season. This creates a transfer market so teams can manage players that choose to leave and replace them.
  • Some rules on the # of transfers can bring in (as many as it has lost, or perhaps one more than it has lost over a 3 year rolling period).

Add in a "Life Courses" option rather than a graduate program requirement for players, then we start to come up with something that works both ways. Gives flexibility to players, but allows coaches to manage their program as well.

I did not read the entire thread but will throw this out there. Let's face it, the term "student athlete" is garbage at the D1 level. Why not let the kids do what they want to do and go where they choose just like most other college students (assuming they are actually progressing towards a degree) . Although I did not read every post, most I did read discussed the school and team and nothing about the athlete. Let them move as they please then maybe the coaches (who do have many ways to run a kid out) will treat the kids better and complete more due diligence in the recruiting process. How is an athletic scholarship different from an academic scholarship (which kids can walk away from at any time)?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom