New Style of play next year? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

New Style of play next year?

Who will we face in the NC game?

• Kentucky

Votes: 11 73.3%
  • North Carolina

Votes: 4 26.7%

• Total voters
That argument doesn't fly. The NBA picks it's players by more than just skillset. RJ was better last year than Donte Greene ever was. Yet, who's in the NBA?
lol

Any argument that involves the phrase "Arinze Onuaku did not really have an offensive game" reveals such a fundamental lack of understanding of basketball that it cannot be taken seriously.

I love AO as much as the next guy but come on he was a one trick pony. Anyone who cannot take a normal face the basket jump shot has no offensive game

I love AO as much as the next guy but come on he was a one trick pony. Anyone who cannot take a normal face the basket jump shot has no offensive game
He was best at shooting free throws

Like Shaq?

There are plenty of offensively-skilled post players who cannot reliably hit face-up jumpers. That's usually not their role within the offense.

Like Shaq?

There are plenty of offensively-skilled post players who cannot reliably hit face-up jumpers. That's usually not their role within the offense.
name them? I see you did a good job naming the exception, but let's hear all these players

I don't feel Melo has done enough to prove he is defenetly gone. Yeah he had one great defensive game against a seton hall team that just lost to depaul.

Yes he 7'0 but 90% of his advantage has been do to his 7'0 motor and athletic advantage on both sides of the court. That doesn't translate to hes ready to play in the NBA. Look where Thabeet from Uconn ended up a few years back in teh D league. And he was what the countrys defensive player of the year.

Yes we could make a final four because of depth, and yes Fab had some grade issues this year which he got past, but there is no reason Fab wouldn't benefit from another year of player development and dominate at this level first. Especially with the true shooters and a true PF next to him.

I think alot of people miss a key point about how players often develop better when they dominate at this level before jumping and getting pushed around at the next. Donte is the classic example. Sure we could argue money or we could argue being ready.

If Fab thinks hes still going to have that athletic advantage at the next level he will learn fast it doesn't work that way. hes got to get down and dirty on the offensive end first work on his passing and tough up a few more small things.

The next level is all about getting punched in the jaw and punching back on offense. And Fab isn't even built for that at this level yet.

AO was a isolation high post big. He had the dribble and finish to do it. But he was slow methodical and always back to the basket while doing so. He even passed well out of it. He had the weight to seal off on both ends of the floor.

We will have to see how Dajuan translates. Will he be slower like AO or attack viciously.
Dajuan has better dribbling skill then Rak or Keita right now I think.
He gets the ball low like a SF or guard in this video and he will face you up.

Also How will our outside shooting be? Will we play spread offense and open the paint for Dajuan.
We could be a very spread offense next year. If Fab does come back they would have no choice but to pack the paint.

At the college level so much of the game is making the defense conform to you and a easy inside basket is better odds then a long three.

Melo is not coming back! Melo is not coming back! Melo is not coming back!

Has Fab announced for the draft link please?

He could make us that much better next year. And you would rather him not come back just so you can sound like your right on some message board. Seriously people?

If you didn't hear it from the coaches or Melo don't post the rumor. It could potentially hurt next years team. Save that for a pay board.

Boeheim has all but said the exact words 'Fab Melo won't be back'

Everyone thought Sullinger was gone last year. He was one of the top 3 bigs in the country.

Melo could do some major damage next year. Play even more minutes, work in a spread offense, and probably play next to some better rebounders and a true PF.

I would rather be dead wrong and Say "Melo is gone right now".

Everyone thought Sullinger was gone last year. He was one of the top 3 bigs in the country.

Melo could do some major damage next year. Play even more minutes, work in a spread offense, and probably play next to some better rebounders and a true PF.

I would rather be dead wrong and Say "Melo is gone right now".
not better than the ones he will practice with in the NBA

name them? I see you did a good job naming the exception, but let's hear all these players

Gosh, pick an NCAA starting center. Maybe ten percent of them are even adequate face-up shooters, but a much larger number would qualify as "offensively skilled."

Gosh, pick an NCAA starting center. Maybe ten percent of them are even adequate face-up shooters, but a much larger number would qualify as "offensively skilled."
yet you can't name any

With a starting lineup of MCW/Triche/Southerland/Rak/DC2 and a bench of Cooney/Fair/Keita/Grant. I see us alot like Ohio State this year, just bigger and more athletic. Definately think we have a top 10 championship caliber team.

*Starting lineup changes if we get Noel
*Fair could start over Southerland, although I like him better backing up the 3/4 since we already have a shooter in Cooney off the bench.

With a starting lineup of MCW/Triche/Southerland/Rak/DC2 and a bench of Cooney/Fair/Keita/Grant. I see us alot like Ohio State this year, just bigger and more athletic. Definately think we have a top 10 championship caliber team.
*Fair could start over Southerland ...
For sure, CJ will start over Southerland -- but JS might well get minutes over Rak, unless Rak makes a lot of progress year over year.
As to whether this is a top 10 team, you have to respect what we lose in Kris, Scoop, Dion & Melo. That would be the defensive player of the year, and the 3 guys on the team who have dribble-drive abilities. Those were the four who garnered Big East honors. We will be very raw in the backcourt (apart from BT) and raw inside (apart from CJ).
This season, we thrived on the development of our sophs -- would need similar or bigger leaps year over year by MCW, Rak and Cooney. Not impossible to reload, but you saw what happened this year in the Big East to teams that lost a lot of the experience that carried them the previous year.

[quote="orangefan13, post: 213798, member: 906"

We will have to see how Dajuan translates. Will he be slower like AO or attack viciously.
Dajuan has better dribbling skill then Rak or Keita right now I think.
He gets the ball low like a SF or guard in this video and he will face you up.

Also How will our outside shooting be? Will we play spread offense and open the paint for Dajuan.
We could be a very spread offense next year. If Fab does come back they would have no choice but to pack the paint.

At the college level so much of the game is making the defense conform to you and a easy inside basket is better odds then a long three.[/quote]

When I was watching the JD-Cortland game it seemed like Coleman could run the court very well.

For sure, CJ will start over Southerland -- but JS might well get minutes over Rak, unless Rak makes a lot of progress year over year.
As to whether this is a top 10 team, you have to respect what we lose in Kris, Scoop, Dion & Melo. That would be the defensive player of the year, and the 3 guys on the team who have dribble-drive abilities. Those were the four who garnered Big East honors. We will be very raw in the backcourt (apart from BT) and raw inside (apart from CJ).
This season, we thrived on the development of our sophs -- would need similar or bigger leaps year over year by MCW, Rak and Cooney. Not impossible to reload, but you saw what happened this year in the Big East to teams that lost a lot of the experience that carried them the previous year.
I think we will be ok. We have pieces that fit together and are ridiculously talented. MCW is the type of pg who can bring it together imo. I just dont get how a frontline of CJ/Rak/DC2 works. If CJ can shoot the three then ok, but if not its so much congestion inside the 3 point line. On the flip side if we cant rebound with those 3 guys in the game at the same time I will lose my mind!

I think we will be ok. We have pieces that fit together and are ridiculously talented. MCW is the type of pg who can bring it together imo. I just dont get how a frontline of CJ/Rak/DC2 works. If CJ can shoot the three then ok, but if not its so much congestion inside the 3 point line. On the flip side if we cant rebound with those 3 guys in the game at the same time I will lose my mind!
I think right now the main lineup for next year is CJ/JS/DC2 with Rak/BMK off the bench. Rak has a lot of improvement to do just to increase his minutes.
MCW and BT will both need to increase their abilities to penetrate because SU will lose a lot of that.

moqui said:
with all due respect . . . you don't know What you are talking about[/q

...Why not??​
because you are claiming that Arinze was not a dominant big man and that all he scored on were, to quote, "simple put backs." You could not have watched the 2009-10 season and come to that conclusion - Arinze had a well developed low post game for three seasons and his senior capped it as probably the best - or certainly among the five best - low post scorers in America. The 2010 team built its offense around Arinze. Every game - and I mean literally every game - began by pounding the ball inside to Mr. Automatic. This then opened up the entire floor for the rest of the team. Even though he played the fewest minutes of any of the main rotation players, Arinze had the second highest shot percentage and only trailed Wes by a few percentage points for highest offensive rating . . . and that was on the squad with the highest team offensive rating in the Pomeroy database - even higher than the offensive juggernaut built around Carmelo Anthony.

because you are claiming that Arinze was not a dominant big man and that all he scored on were, to quote, "simple put backs." You could not have watched the 2009-10 season and come to that conclusion - Arinze had a well developed low post game for three seasons and his senior capped it as probably the best - or certainly among the five best - low post scorers in America. The 2010 team built its offense around Arinze. Every game - and I mean literally every game - began by pounding the ball inside to Mr. Automatic. This then opened up the entire floor for the rest of the team. Even though he played the fewest minutes of any of the main rotation players, Arinze had the second highest shot percentage and only trailed Wes by a few percentage points for highest offensive rating . . . and that was on the squad with the highest team offensive rating in the Pomeroy database - even higher than the offensive juggernaut built around Carmelo Anthony.

A "dominant" Big man dont just avg 10pts and a measely 5 rebounds?? I like AO but lets be real most of his points were wide open dunks or soft one handed floaters that bounced in time to time. Your not dominant grabbing just 5 boards. But the point is we could possibly have two maybe three very good inside players that are skilled and should get touches and the offense ran through them esp if we have Melo and DC.

A "dominant" Big man dont just avg 10pts and a measely 5 rebounds?? I like AO but lets be real most of his points were wide open dunks or soft one handed floaters that bounced in time to time. Your not dominant grabbing just 5 boards. But the point is we could possibly have two maybe three very good inside players that are skilled and should get touches and the offense ran through them esp if we have Melo and DC.

raw averages are for simpletons, because they do not normalize for minutes played nor possessions used.

Arinze's numbers were seemingly low because he played on such a balanced squad. The fact of the matter is that when he got a touch on an offensive possession, he was dominant on the blocks. And, fwiw, his offensive rebound percentage was 11.5, just a notch below Fab's 11.8

raw averages are for simpletons, because they do not normalize for minutes played nor possessions used.

Arinze's numbers were seemingly low because he played on such a balanced squad. The fact of the matter is that when he got a touch on an offensive possession, he was dominant on the blocks. And, fwiw, his offensive rebound percentage was 11.5, just a notch below Fab's 11.8

If your dominant you should get alot of mins correct? He might been the biggest person on the court but no way was his game dominant. fwiw- 5 rebounds per game.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom