New Style of play next year? | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

New Style of play next year?

Who will we face in the NC game?

• Kentucky

Votes: 11 73.3%
  • North Carolina

Votes: 4 26.7%

• Total voters
I think right now the main lineup for next year is CJ/JS/DC2 with Rak/BMK off the bench. Rak has a lot of improvement to do just to increase his minutes.
MCW and BT will both need to increase their abilities to penetrate because SU will lose a lot of that.
Better spacing could definately help them with penetration as well. We "should" be a very good 3 point shooting team and players wont be able to sag off the perimeter.

If Arinze was dominant, then Rick most of been immortal at 13pts 10 reb

This is reading like you being deliberately obtuse.

Did you watch any games during Onuaku's career?

All I know is I always had confidence AO would score. I never had confidence Rick would.

Better spacing could definately help them with penetration as well. We "should" be a very good 3 point shooting team and players wont be able to sag off the perimeter.
I wonder about this -- Cooney is a very good shooter, but where else do we improve from the outside? And you lose the ability that Dion & Scoop have to get their own shots at the end of a shot clock.
The upside is more likely to come from inside scoring. Coleman has more post moves than Fab; Rak has lots of upside; CJ will get a tad stronger.

All I know is I always had confidence AO would score. I never had confidence Rick would.
Silly debate. AO in 2009-10 and Rick last season were pretty close -- each good enough to make all-league teams (not first team, as I recall). Each a good threat to score off the blocks, and AO almost money when he had position inside.
Nice to imagine that DC2 could provide that inside scoring, but keep in mind that it didn't happen for AO or Rick as underclassmen. Might take a year for DC2 to be a force.

Silly debate. AO in 2009-10 and Rick last season were pretty close -- each good enough to make all-league teams (not first team, as I recall). Each a good threat to score off the blocks, and AO almost money when he had position inside.

In terms of production, maybe. I admire Rick's effort on the glass last year, but he remained a one-handed player with a nice crafty up-and-under move but pretty average touch. AO could use either hand and was closer to automatic.

Regarding our guards next year, I agree with you: without someone who can routinely penetrate off the dribble, it's difficult to see too much offensive improvement. Perhaps CJ could add some driving ability, or maybe Carter-Williams ends up successfully getting into the interior of a defense. It's a big question mark, though.

In terms of production, maybe. I admire Rick's effort on the glass last year, but he remained a one-handed player with a nice crafty up-and-under move but pretty average touch. AO could use either hand and was closer to automatic.

Regarding our guards next year, I agree with you: without someone who can routinely penetrate off the dribble, it's difficult to see too much offensive improvement. Perhaps CJ could add some driving ability, or maybe Carter-Williams ends up successfully getting into the interior of a defense. It's a big question mark, though.
Expectations are starting to spiral out of control.

First off, RJ and AO as mentioned before were all-league. To think Noel is going off for more than 13 ppg and 10 rpg is expecting an awful lot. For some perspective Drummond is at 10 and 8, A Davis is at 14 and 10, Fab is at 8 and 6. I don't think Noel averages 13 and 10 now while in high school.

As for the OP, JB normally loves having the low post scorer (see AO and RJ). And while it doesn't seem like AOs numbers support it, don't forget he played limited minutes and all his points were feeding the low post type. He didn't get fast break points. And he wasn't any alley oop type. His points were high percentage back to the basket moves. Same for RJ.

There is no major change needed out of JB to accomodate a post scorer. It is really this year that is the aberration. Many have had a hard time trusting and believing in this team because its construction is so different from previous good years. SU has generally had the big in the blocks that presented matchup problems for other teams - from RJ to AO to Hak to Wallace to DC. JB will love having it back.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom