New Syracuse offensive coordinator Jeff Nixon lays out his vision for the Orange offense | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

New Syracuse offensive coordinator Jeff Nixon lays out his vision for the Orange offense

I ran on the field. It was glorious.

It was also our last win of the year.

Depends on what you value.
I value fun, and more often than not, Syracuse football has failed me.

We tried that somewhat with early Dino. Three and outs in 40 seconds weren't
1708474444946.gif

Watching cartoons is fun too.

Not winning a game after mid October isn’t all that fun.

Besides, don’t you not watch the games? Not sure your take is valid here.
Not always anymore, actually.

1) Since the last few years of the Pasqualoni era, the narrative on Syracuse has been that "you can't recruit there." I guess I get the concept of trying to use a gimmick offense to attract talent, but that doesn't work. I know this because Dino couldn't parlay "Orange is the New Fast" and a 10-win season into a Top 50 recruiting class.

2) I think elite talent wants to play in an offense that translates to the NFL. Running 5-wide on every down and throwing 70 passes a game does not translate to the NFL. I know this because I watch NFL games and nobody does this, even if they play indoors.

3) Offenses that work outside the dome, will work inside the dome also. I know this because for 20 years I've watched teams with outdoor stadiums come to the dome and kick our @$$.

1) Since the last few years of the Pasqualoni era, the narrative on Syracuse has been that "you can't recruit there." I guess I get the concept of trying to use a gimmick offense to attract talent, but that doesn't work. I know this because Dino couldn't parlay "Orange is the New Fast" and a 10-win season into a Top 50 recruiting class.

2) I think elite talent wants to play in an offense that translates to the NFL. Running 5-wide on every down and throwing 70 passes a game does not translate to the NFL. I know this because I watch NFL games and nobody does this, even if they play indoors.

3) Offenses that work outside the dome, will work inside the dome also. I know this because for 20 years I've watched teams with outdoor stadiums come to the dome and kick our @$$.
Running a Pro-Style offense at Syracuse isn't the problem - recruiting to it historically has been in the last 20 years. GRob ran into exactly that - if you don't recruit the QB and OL positions effectively, you will fail. I often wonder how his fortunes would have been potentially altered if he was able to get Colt Brennan enrolled. OL still would have been an issue though, so who knows. His defenses were probably passable, and he did recruit some good skill position talent (Mike Williams, Marcus Sales, Taj Smith, Delone Carter, Curtis Brinkley).

The lows come with the highs and the highs come with the lows. Every rollercoaster comes with both.

To the point of the Dome, It seems he wants to be able to run his offense in any situation, much like Mac, Coach P, and Deleone.
That's how you win championships, you set your offense for ideal conditions and when you have a monsoon like Wake Forest a few years back you lose.
He said multiple, pass 50 times if necessary, and run 50 times if that's what it takes.
This is going to suck. This is a stupid approach and we will try something else soon enough.

If you can run your offense in a monsoon, your offense sucks

The Cuse lax game was the most entertaining competitive game we’ve played in that sport in years. But we lost and I cannot stomach to watch anything about it.
So no not fun. Winning is fun.
So you're saying you had fun.

Sweet jeebus you all are overthinking the Hell out of this.

So you're saying you had fun.

Sweet jeebus you all are overthinking the Hell out of this.

It wasn’t fun. Well it was for 5 seconds when I thought we had the game winning goal. I was engaged, the fun is winning.

We’ve tried throwing the ball around. It’s really kinda dumb and burns players.

It wasn’t fun. Well it was for 5 seconds when I thought we had the game winning goal. I was engaged, the fun is winning.

We’ve tried throwing the ball around. It’s really kinda dumb and burns players.
I humbly submit we haven't truly tried it.

I humbly submit we haven't truly tried it.
Bayside is the smartest giants fan , charming , dashing, well respected, a pillar of society really

But still a giants fan

Throwing is better than running. You need to to be able to run well enough to be able to throw. That's all the balance you need. Meatheads see the best teams running all day with leads and think well golly that's the recipe. I would say that teams that slide short of the end zone on purpose are by far the most winning offenses but I don't want to give them ideas

Defensive coaches want to practice against multiple offenses. So that's what we are going to get.

Bayside is the smartest giants fan , charming , dashing, well respected, a pillar of society really

Let's not overdo it.

Definitely a Giants fan though.

But still a giants fan

Throwing is better than running. You need to to be able to run well enough to be able to throw. That's all the balance you need. Meatheads see the best teams running all day with leads and think well golly that's the recipe. I would say that teams that slide short of the end zone on purpose are by far the most winning offenses but I don't want to give them ideas

Defensive coaches want to practice against multiple offenses. So that's what we are going to get.
When I think multiple, I want to present a dynamic running attack, to force the defense to cheat towards the LOS, so I can throw to my receivers over the top, for big yardage.