Class of 2020 - New Transfer: Mitch Wykoff (Gettysburg) Defense | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2020 New Transfer: Mitch Wykoff (Gettysburg) Defense

Reading the write-up by Inside Lacrosse, it seems that if he can indeed play at this level he'd be a natural on the wings and pushing transition when available. I still think when Phaup/Varello etc aren't winning draws cleanly, as a team we struggle to get the ball off the ground so it sounds like this guy is a bit of a vacuum. Is anyone aware if Clary/Page have experience playing close?
I think Clary & Page both play mostly LSM. However I know Clary played some close in all of the fall scrimmages. Clary also played some against Bingo and Hobart. Both have incredible wheels

Intriguing but be forewarned before any ordaining any spot that some of this comp is not as good as some good high school squads. There was much optimism with Staats last year .I wouldn't be shifting Murphy anywhere and Page, Clary, younger Kennedy, Kol and others will be in mix.

That's absurd. Gettysburg and pretty much everyone on the Gettysburg schedule would beat any high school team by 20 goals.

Some of the elite high school teams (Calvert Hall, Culver etc) should be competitive and perhaps even be better than good D3 teams while other weaker high school teams might well lose by 20 goals. I think it was Culver that actually beat a USA U19 training squad.

3/4 of Calvert Hall's roster is old enough to be in college ( Some old enough to be a sophmore in college ) , so not a fair comparison !

That's absurd. Gettysburg and pretty much everyone on the Gettysburg schedule would beat any high school team by 20 goals.
Do read what was said "some of the comp" now look at the names and if you think some of those teams would beat a top twenty five hs team then you are mistaken. I do know about Salisbury, Tufts, Cabrini, Amherst and even Gettysburg because we have kids playing there and playing very well but they wouldn't be on Cuse. Certainly like to have Chatham's and Tufts Bredahl transfer here to compete for spot. Believe that you compared OCC to D1s a few years back, how many of those kids are playing d1 at a high level today ? Can you compare OCC to "some of the comp" for me. Think you would tell me that OCC would win rather handily .
Do welcome any transfer with open arms and best wishes , do embrace all the possibilties and upside but do so understanding that nothing is a given when changing levels and the young talents on Cuse would standout at the d3 level and even at occ

and those are private prep schools who recruit nationally. Not exactly the same as Ward Melville. But the top D3 schools would still handle them.

Do read what was said "some of the comp" now look at the names and if you think some of those teams would beat a top twenty five hs team then you are mistaken. I do know about Salisbury, Tufts, Cabrini, Amherst and even Gettysburg because we have kids playing there and playing very well but they wouldn't be on Cuse. Certainly like to have Chatham's and Tufts Bredahl transfer here to compete for spot. Believe that you compared OCC to D1s a few years back, how many of those kids are playing d1 at a high level today ? Can you compare OCC to "some of the comp" for me. Think you would tell me that OCC would win rather handily .
Do welcome any transfer with open arms and best wishes , do embrace all the possibilties and upside but do so understanding that nothing is a given when changing levels and the young talents on Cuse would standout at the d3 level and even at occ

Not a chance I compared OCC to D1s and if I did I was drunk.

I do think there's a misconception that when people talk D1 though they're referring to Syracuse, Duke, UVA, Maryland, Yale etc. but they forget or don't realize there are 74 division 1 playing lacrosse schools. There are a lot of front end D2/D3 kids who can assuredly play at many of them - schools like Cleveland St, Detroit Mercy, Canisus, Wagner, Holy Cross, Drexel, Hampton, now Merrimack etc etc etc. (in fact Merrimack is a good example that the top D2 school isn't far off from D1. They beat Michigan and only lost their other games to established D1 schools by literally 1 and 2 goals , in just their first year.) That says a lot.

Charlie Bertrand was recruited by Division 1 schools out of high school. But playing for Merrimack was > than playing for Siena or Fairfield. (that's fairly common)

Cortland St has high school All Americans on their team. A kid like Dante Yacavone - a HS AA - 6-2 200 could have played at a much higher level if he had wanted to.

The biggest difference imo between levels are the size of the kids. It's not talent or even speed, it's pure size. There are a lot of 5-8, 5-9 155 kids who can ball out and if they were 5-11 / 6-0 they'd be on a D1 roster. The exceptional ones obviously do play D1. What separates the teams however is what Townie said and that's the depth. The back of a Syracuse roster can play any level. The backend of a Cansisus roster might get off into the weeds a little though.

Overall it's not like college football. By and large the "front ends" of the top D2/D3 schools can play at any level, and if they couldn't play on the back end of a team like Syracuse they could play on the bottom half of D1. Heck, Syracuse has had kids drop down to LeMoyne.

Syracuse wouldn't take this kid if they didn't think he'd compete for a starting spot. Kid is 6-2 205 3X All American and can run like a deer. Lacrosse coaches know who's who.

Last edited:
So he was offered Division 1 out of high school. I'm not really surprised to read that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom