new version of my database page is ready for testing | Syracusefan.com

new version of my database page is ready for testing

upperdeck

Living Legend
many of you have tested this in the past. I have just rewritten it to remove the coldfusion/flash and gone to what i hope will be quicker loading page and also be responsive to most browsers.

Display Game Data

with the new upgrade in coaching comes new changes to the page. More searchable fields. Plays/ first downs, also searchable by player and game stats.

the games database goes back until roughly 1935.

I have not loaded the first 2 games from this year yet. hope that happens in the next few days

One reason for the changes is the hope that the offense takes off and new records will be set.. so the old standard of 400 yds passing needs to be increased to 500. One thing I worked on was complex searches.. so for instance you can see how many times we have had a 150 yd rusher and 150 yd rcvr in the same game.. the answer is twice. hoping that becomes 200/200 someday.

the new version of the record book page is almost ready for roll out. It contains the stats from almost every player/game since around 1950.

I have used it on a phone/laptop/ipad to get most of the bugs out. it works best on a larger screen but working on some font changes to help smaller devices.

I have not gone for pretty colors for those much better at styling than me. but its supposed to be using syracuse orange for the main background.

Enter the criteria click the button in the middle of the page and see what you get.. I find that sometimes my server response leaves empty grids but refreshing the page tends to make it go away.

All comments/ideas are appreciated.

many of you have tested this in the past. I have just rewritten it to remove the coldfusion/flash and gone to what i hope will be quicker loading page and also be responsive to most browsers.

Display Game Data

with the new upgrade in coaching comes new changes to the page. More searchable fields. Plays/ first downs, also searchable by player and game stats.

I have not loaded the first 2 games from this year yet. hope that happens in the next few days

One reason for the changes is the hope that the offense takes off and new records will be set.. so the old standard of 400 yds passing needs to be increased to 500. One thing I worked on was complex searches.. so for instance you can see how many times we have had a 150 yd rusher and 150 yd rcvr in the same game.. the answer is twice. hoping that becomes 200/200 someday.

the new version of the record book page is almost ready for roll out. It contains the stats from almost every player/game since around 1950.

I have used it on a phone/laptop/ipad to get most of the bugs out. it works best on a larger screen but working on some font changes to help smaller devices.

I have not gone for pretty colors for those much better at styling than me. but its supposed to be using syracuse orange for the main background.

Enter the criteria click the button in the middle of the page and see what you get.. I find that sometimes my server response leaves empty grids but refreshing the page tends to make it go away.

You need to find a nice girl.;)

Display Game Data

If you can, you should put in net points per offensive possession and net points given up per defensive possession (other team's possession)

If i had a way to get possession stats i could easily add it. the problem is getting the data back more than a few years since most sites dont have that information.. even sites that do like ESPN have large numbers of errors in the possession charts. in the old days the newspapers had drive charts but not any more.

You need to find a nice girl.;)

Is been a way to learn new stuff for work. i use it all the time and not that its responsive i can look stuff up while at a game.. someone was asking the other day about being out gained by 400 yds and you can easily find that out with this data.

If you can, you should put in net points per offensive possession and net points given up per defensive possession (other team's possession)

It's not the basketball season yet.

Looks cool but not sure how it all works...maybe could you give a few examples of things to look up and show us how you would do that?

Is been a way to learn new stuff for work. i use it all the time and not that its responsive i can look stuff up while at a game.. someone was asking the other day about being out gained by 400 yds and you can easily find that out with this data.

Keep up the great work! :)

As a "Big Data" lover. I really like what you put together. Easily accessible data that I actually care about. Good work!

Looks good, I like it a lot!

When you filter on looking at data from ranked opponents, is that end-of-the-year ranking? Or ranking on game day?

Nice to see it work on my iPad. :)

Formatting of the entry criteria leaves a bit to be desired on the smaller screen, but it's getting there.

Good to see that SU beat the Gators in '31.

its game time ranking.

there is just so much data it overwhelms small screens, but i am working on changing font sizes. or changing break points, but that would force it into a long list, which may be better in the long run.

just to regroup. The data is every box score i could find or recreate from late 1940's on. There are a few gaps i am still trying to find data for, once you get to the 60's its pretty solid and back in the 20s its a lot of guess work.

All the criteria can be used, select any of the fields from the drop downs. and press the "show JQgrid" button. that loads the display game results grid.
Once you have games you can click any of the games rows and the lower tab section will fill in.

It defaults to Syracuse and the current year but you can search other teams stats as well but that only goes back to 1983. I have not tried to load other teams data further back, maybe someday.

I have 3 other pages, I will probably link too soon.

A stats page where you can search for every SU player or Opp player in my database.
A record book where you can see stats by game/year/career of SU and Opp
A scoring page that will show every score that has happened over the last 60-70 years.

This page is actually 4 databases tied together. I will add a few more drop downs for criteria soon. Things like Special team scores, score length, drive length, TOP, scoring deficit, night games

The final tab "selections stats" I am still rebuilding in PHP. It will sum whatever game criteria was used. so for instance if you chose SU games at Night vs ranked at Home, it would tell you avg pts., rush yds., first downs, pts.. etc..

its game time ranking.

there is just so much data it overwhelms small screens, but i am working on changing font sizes. or changing break points, but that would force it into a long list, which may be better in the long run.
If possible, it might make sense to split these boxes into two or three groups, with a drop down determining if a section is shown. The first could cover teams, years, etc.. When selected those selection boxes would be presented. Select it again and the fields are hidden. Another could cover team stats and a third could cover player stats. Just an idea.

Right now I see two boxes below "Total Yds:" without a label. I'm guessing these are meant to be Opp Points and Opp Plays, as the "Points:", "Plays:" and "F-Downs:" labels have slid to the right. I can drive it, but there are too many options presented at once to make things clear to the newbie.

Like I said originally, I'm just glad that I can access this on an iPad now. :)

If possible, it might make sense to split these boxes into two or three groups, with a drop down determining if a section is shown. The first could cover teams, years, etc.. When selected those selection boxes would be presented. Select it again and the fields are hidden. Another could cover team stats and a third could cover player stats. Just an idea.

Right now I see two boxes below "Total Yds:" without a label. I'm guessing these are meant to be Opp Points and Opp Plays, as the "Points:", "Plays:" and "F-Downs:" labels have slid to the right. I can drive it, but there are too many options presented at once to make things clear to the newbie.

Like I said originally, I'm just glad that I can access this on an iPad now. :)
See if the change I made now helps at all.. I dont have an ipad to test with but its working better on a phone with some different break points

See if the change I made now helps at all.. I dont have an ipad to test with but its working better on a phone with some different break points
Getting better. I just sent you a screenshot via PM.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom